U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 9,428 times

Advertisements

How is the public school system in Seattle for special needs children? We are planning on moving to Seattle early next year. My grandson has Autism (high function) and is in a great system here in Orlando FL. Are the programs for children with Autism any good there?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 AM

458 posts, read 899,376 times
I hate to have to say this but I have had clients have to move from Seattle in order to get the services that are readily available in other parts of the country. In fact, the Seattle Times had a lengthy article last year that said that the Seattle Public Schools was DECADES behind the rest of the country in the services they made available for children with Autism and other spectrum disorders. I think it is shameful that such a prosperous city would be decades behind...my two clients moved to Maryland and Massachusetts. Other friends who have children with special needs end up hiring outside help to supplement the little they are getting from the school system.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:25 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,647,806 times
I live in Woodinville, and I have a daughter (14) who is on the spectrum. She doesn't need any extra help at school as far as academics, but her counselor and teachers have been really good to her. They have a special "buddy" program at her school where they take certain kids and have them reach out to the kids who have SN. Thanks to that program my daughter always had someone to sit with at lunch, and that's pretty big when you have autism. She was also on the receiving end of many kindnesses....a student bought her cookies one day, extra attention from her teachers. I have been very happy. Also I have another daughter (12) who has dyslexia, and the school has been very good to her, too. This is Northshore schools. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2013, 03:26 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,647,806 times
I wanted to add, I do think Seattle is a good place to live for people who have autism. With so many techies living here, I see Aspies everywhere. There are many social skills groups and camps and things for children with autism. I have even seen Meet Up groups for adults with Aspergers. Lots of support here for the autism community.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:30 PM

8,740 posts, read 7,834,446 times
One of the two main reasons why we left Seattle public schools for Issaquah was because of the special education services my son with ADD/Autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area