Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkc View Post
i dont kno y yall complaining, seattle is one of the cheaper major cities, esp considering the salaries, if u compare to BFE then yea its expensive, go live in BFE then

What is more expensive than Seattle besides a handful of cities? Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Miami are much cheaper and are also major cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM

414 posts, read 538,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
What is more expensive than Seattle besides a handful of cities? Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Miami are much cheaper and are also major cities
south is always cheaper for a reason, if u dont mind living there ur def better off there financially
id never live there tho

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,898 times
A good way to start out is by buying a condo or townhouse instead of a detached single family home. I know everyone loves mowing the lawn, but attached homes are available for much lower prices. You can probably afford a nicer neighborhood with an attached home as well. In NYC, this is almost the default option for first-time buyers in the city, and attached homes represent a significant chunk of the available housing stock anyway. Even there, it's possible to find a decent apartment in a decent neighborhood for under $500,000.

There are indeed only a few cities that are more expensive than Seattle: NYC, LA, SF, DC, and Boston. Chicago, Philadelphia, and Miami are probably about the same as Seattle. In my opinion, it's not so much cost of living that matters, but quality of life. Cost of living is factored into that, but it shouldn't be the primary reason for choosing a place to live. Phoenix, Houston, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City are all cheaper than Seattle, but I would personally hate living in any of those places. Boston and SF are expensive, but I like them enough that I'd be glad to deal with the cost of living there. What ultimately matters is not the amount of money in your bank account or how big your house is, but that you enjoy living where you do.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM

chicago is more expensive, philly is about the same
denver and minneapolis are the only comparable cities that are cheaper, but seattle has milder weather and a better location thus the added cost
down south u get to deal with backwards ass populace/politics and some serious heat/humidity, midwest-u get serious cold and snow as well as summer heat/humidity, the worst of both
seattle is a prime example of u get wat u pay for and actually u get more than wat u pay for, now these other cities mentioned-they are overpriced

Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Philadelphia and Miami are definitely cheaper than Seattle

Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
chicago is more expensive, philly is about the same
denver and minneapolis are the only comparable cities that are cheaper, but seattle has milder weather and a better location thus the added cost
down south u get to deal with backwards ass populace/politics and some serious heat/humidity, midwest-u get serious cold and snow as well as summer heat/humidity, the worst of both

That's really narrowminded. You sound like you've never been to a major city on the East Coast or the south. And bad politics? Have you seen the politics in Washington state? They're way worsrthan anything I've seen back East.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Philadelphia and Miami are definitely cheaper than Seattle
miami has no economy
philly is NOT cheaper, it might only look cheaper on paper, when u break it down, its not

Old 09-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
That's really narrowminded. You sound like you've never been to a major city on the East Coast or the south. And bad politics? Have you seen the politics in Washington state? They're way worsrthan anything I've seen back East.
what does east coast have to do with it? i live in nyc/nj and been to philly and dc
down south is about 100 yrs behind the rest of the civilized world so if u feel comfortable living there, go head

Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
The best way is to move here with equity from one of the more expensive areas such as San Francisco, and keep the payments low with a big down payment.

People who come here from the south or midwest are always shocked when they see the home prices. The smart ones check here first before accepting a low job offer that may look good to them coming from a cheaper place. Locals have to wait until they have paid off their student loan debt and had a promotion or two to get up to at least the $70,000 salary range or get help from Mom & Dad.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
miami has no economy
philly is NOT cheaper, it might only look cheaper on paper, when u break it down, its not

Tell me about this breakdown which makes Philly cheaper? You could live like a kind in Philly for 100k a year. Definitely not true for Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area