Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM

192 posts, read 423,770 times

Advertisements

Anyone work for Amazon in SLU and live in Kirkland? How long and how do you commute? What part of Kirkland? We are looking to relo up there to get closer to my husbands work since his commute right now is hellish.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 11:31 PM

52 posts, read 135,107 times
Depends where in Kirkland, but probably about 30 minutes in rush hour over 520.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Anyone??

Old 01-24-2014, 03:43 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Jessica, I know many people who work at Amazon. To me, the ones who live on the Seattle side seem happier

Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Jessica, I know many people who work at Amazon. To me, the ones who live on the Seattle side seem happier
I am sure but we want the schools on the Eastside over city schools.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,902 times
Could you give us some more information? Is this going to be a driving or bus commute? Is there a specific part of Kirkland that you like? What's your upper limit for a commute time?

My experience with this route is limited, but I'd guess that the door to door time on the bus would be around 45-50 minutes if you live near the Kirkland Transit Center. There would be a bit of walking involved on the Seattle end, but probably not more than half a mile. I believe Amazon gives transit benefits, so this would be a very cheap and relatively easy way to commute. Driving should be a bit faster. It can probably be done in about 30-40 minutes most days. The issues are the expensive rush hour toll plus expensive Amazon parking, not to mention the stress of exiting I-5 at Mercer Street (you have about 3/4 mile to get across 4 lanes to the exit).

The easiest way to check out commute times is to get Google directions during rush hour going each direction. It has options for driving and transit. The transit commute times should be accurate within 5 minutes or so. The driving ones tend to be a bit optimistic - for that route, you'd probably want to add about 15 minutes to the total time just due to the congestion around Amazon.

Also, if you have some extra time, I'd HIGHLY recommend giving this commute a test run in various weather conditions if you're going to drive. If you're moving just to shorten a commute, you'll want to be absolutely sure that it's actually faster than wherever you live now.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Could you give us some more information? Is this going to be a driving or bus commute? Is there a specific part of Kirkland that you like? What's your upper limit for a commute time?

My experience with this route is limited, but I'd guess that the door to door time on the bus would be around 45-50 minutes if you live near the Kirkland Transit Center. There would be a bit of walking involved on the Seattle end, but probably not more than half a mile. I believe Amazon gives transit benefits, so this would be a very cheap and relatively easy way to commute. Driving should be a bit faster. It can probably be done in about 30-40 minutes most days. The issues are the expensive rush hour toll plus expensive Amazon parking, not to mention the stress of exiting I-5 at Mercer Street (you have about 3/4 mile to get across 4 lanes to the exit).

The easiest way to check out commute times is to get Google directions during rush hour going each direction. It has options for driving and transit. The transit commute times should be accurate within 5 minutes or so. The driving ones tend to be a bit optimistic - for that route, you'd probably want to add about 15 minutes to the total time just due to the congestion around Amazon.

Also, if you have some extra time, I'd HIGHLY recommend giving this commute a test run in various weather conditions if you're going to drive. If you're moving just to shorten a commute, you'll want to be absolutely sure that it's actually faster than wherever you live now.
Thanks for your info. I am not sure if he's going to drive or take the bus. We are not at all familiar with any part of Kirkland so I wanted to hear from people actually live there on how they commute to Amazon. From what you said it doesn't look like us moving up that label cuddies commute done by much at all.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 AM

337 posts, read 494,804 times
I don't commute from Kirkland but I do go in via I-90 in Bellevue. I have to say, I really dislike the South Lake Union area due to how long it takes to get through left-hand turn lights and the parking is horrible. Not in by 9am and you won't find a spot to park down there. It took me about 40 minutes from Overlake transit center across 520 by bus to South Lake Union and that was at 11am. Now I just stay home unless I have to go in, but when I do, the bus is a better option because getting around and parking down there can be unpredictable. I think Amazon also has shuttle service for employees and contractors, you might want to check the options via Amazon shuttle from the park and rides on the Eastside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area