Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Haha, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. Seems like most of Woodinville lost power for most of Saturday, although from what I hear, we were far from the only ones affected
So it was your fault!

Our power in Sammamish was only out for about 4 minutes, but we did have a 30' tree branch come down on the deck. Luckily missed the furniture. I have not needed the generator in a few years now but it's nice to know I have it in case. I don't think anyone here needs a whole-house plant but a 6,000 watt gas model
for about $400 is well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Haha, I guess I should have kept my mouth shut. Seems like most of Woodinville lost power for most of Saturday, although from what I hear, we were far from the only ones affected
I'm in Bothell, right near the Woodinville breakline, and I can say that whatever they've done as far as power lines, it isn't sufficient.

Last year, during the extended snow, power would go out for quite some time.
This year, the high winds and rain caused the power to be intermittent. I can only imagine this area wreaking havoc on electronics not connected to surge protectors.

Fortunately in my case I've got three UPS power supplies where it will keep basic power engaged, but it's simply ridiculous how fickle things are.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 AM

195 posts, read 377,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
So it was your fault!

Our power in Sammamish was only out for about 4 minutes, but we did have a 30' tree branch come down on the deck. Luckily missed the furniture. I have not needed the generator in a few years now but it's nice to know I have it in case. I don't think anyone here needs a whole-house plant but a 6,000 watt gas model
for about $400 is well worth it.
So it would seem ! Luckily no trees down here but yes, I think some investment in power infrastructure wouldnt be the worst idea I've heard all morning !

Old 05-02-2014, 04:20 PM

927 posts, read 585,638 times
Quote:
Yeah, we had FAR more power outages in Los Angeles than here! Pretty much anytime the wind blew ...
How does LA have more outages when there is almost no trees to be found?

Old 05-02-2014, 06:39 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
How does LA have more outages when there is almost no trees to be found?
Insufficient supply infrastructure. I've never experienced a brown out in the PNW, but they were pretty common when I lived in an area where a lot of people had air conditioners.

Areas out east have it much worse than the city. I've been in my house for 2 years and we've never lost power for more than a minute or two. When I lived out in the bothell/woodinville area the power went out all the time. One winter we had no electricity for over a week. The last big storm that took out electric for several days was the one that convinced my mom she didn't want to live out there in the sticks (Canyon Park) anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area