Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 10:27 PM

399 posts, read 882,847 times

Advertisements

I realize that I visited Seattle at the time that its best (summer), and absolutely fell in love with it. Im wondering what the weather is comparable to in the other months however. Just how bad is it?

Im from Upstate NY, and you will be surprised to find out at the cloud cover is roughly the same as you guys. In fact, I think Syracuse and the Central NY region is a tad cloudier to be honest. We live just east of the Great Lakes, and those are HAVENS for moisture and clouds that it drops directly on us.

Winters here average 100 inches of snow, thats 100 inches (in cities like Syracuse, Buffalo, etc.) Lake Effect Snowfall. Its everyday. It just appears out of nowhere like a cloudy that follows a cartoon character. For 3 months. The sun comes out probably 4 times a month. Im not joking.

Thats normal for us, but appalling to you I bet, the same way in which someone views Seattle with rain. I am aware that Seattle averages less actual rain than NYC, Boston and the like, but its just spread out more.

I have family there and have family that has lived there and they all noted the "dampness" that gets to you.

Upstate NY is usually cloudy most days and snows in the winter, spring and fall are a mixed bag. Its unpredictable as we can get 60 and sunny one day and then 30 and snow/rain the next. However, more often than not, its cloudy and rainy during those times.

Here, its cloudy and snowing or raining id say 9/12 months. No joke, and the sunshine percentage is in the mid 40s.

I hate snow, but I also dislike rain, but I need to find out what I hate more. I hate the cold too, so im thinking the mild temperatures would be much better. I enjoy humidity, but not overbearing, and Seattle has perfect summer weather without that type of humidity. 70/80s with some humidity are perfect for me. Not 80s and muggy.

So do you think this Upstater would have an issue with Seattle weather? Thanks guys.

I would say the weather here is like Chicago, but snowier and cloudier, if you can imagine.

Our highs in winter average in the 20s, and lows in the low TEENS, on top of the lake effect snow. You guys at least are still able to go outside in winter. We usually arent. I remember counting the days the sun was actually out from December to March, and it was probably 8 times.

Last edited by ChicagoorSeattle; 09-03-2013 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Here, it's also cloudy or raining nine months of the year.
But, in my opinion, it's only really horrible for a couple of months. November and December. That's when it seems to rain harder and more constantly. By February, it's still plenty grey, but it's raining less and it's warmer. But by February, people sometimes get a little cooped up/stir crazy, because it's been dark and wet for months..
But coming from upstate NY, you'll think you've entered paradise.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But coming from upstate NY, you'll think you've entered paradise.

I am thinking that as well.

Annual Days of Sunshine in New York - Current Results

Percent sunshine yearly

City % Sun
Albany 53
Binghamton 49
Buffalo 48

New York Central Park 58
Rochester 51
Syracuse 46

You can see how much sunnier NYC is than Upstate cities.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
I lived in Michigan for just under two years and hated every single minute of it. After a couple of months I had to do an internet search because I didn't understand why it was so cloudy all the time. I had moved from Wisconsin so I was confused as to why it was so intolerably different and that's when I really began to understand the concept of "lake effect". I was shocked to learn that parts of MI were nearly as bad as the PNW! When my husband got his job here I was very concerned how I was going to adapt. I was already struggling with SAD symptoms and didn't need to compound it with more rain and clouds. However it was not to be the case... I love it here! There are many differences. First of all, it's just not as cold in the winter... most days I'm fine just shoving my hands into my pockets instead of gloves and hats are optional... no heavy parkas! Secondly, the clouds have lots of definition. In MI, the clouds blanket the entire horizon and it feels grey and heavy, but the clouds here are always changing shape, color and move quickly. I live near some low mountains and every moment presents a different landscape with the way clouds and fog drape over the mountains and trees... it's truly stunning... 3) Yes it rains, but most of the time it's not really raining, just kinda rainy (did you get that?). It's damp, but I think it's invigorating and fresh. I just spent 10 days in the desert and I couldn't wait to get back home. People here have better complexions because of it

Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
Syracuse:

Seattle:

Not much different there. Don't forget that Seattle is nearly 5 degrees further North, so that means shorter days in the winter. But factoring in the lack of freezing temps, snow, humidity, and bugs, it's an easy decision.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:27 AM

225 posts, read 382,969 times
Arushan, love the graphic! Where did you find that, or could you also post how NYC compares to Seattle for cloudy days?

Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Wow thanks for the graphic!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
The area you live now has the worst weather in the lower 48. It's as dreary as the PNW, if not more so. It's also cold in the winter with tons of snow. Not even the summers are very good. Someone from upstate NY inquiring about how bad the weather is elsewhere is like someone from Nome Alaska inquiring about how cold it gets in San Francisco lol.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
A friend recently moved here from Farmington, and so far loves it in Bellevue. I remember all the stories of the "Lake Effect" weather. I have been here 20 years and once we got 24" of snow over a week, other than that it's a dusting 2-3 times a year, maybe 6" every 3rd or 4th year. Last year it only stuck once and not enough to cause trouble driving. I'm sure you will be very happy here, at least as far as the weather.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Arushan, love the graphic! Where did you find that, or could you also post how NYC compares to Seattle for cloudy days?
They're found on the city-data city profile pages.

NYC:

Seattle:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: