Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times

Advertisements

Seattle is a major city. Compared to other cities, it's one of the smaller cities. It really can't be called a "big city" compared to other cities.

LA, Chicago, and NYC are beyond big cities. They're more like Mega cities.

Big cities are like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, or Philly, which are all noticeably bigger than Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 PM

31 posts, read 55,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Seattle is a major city. Compared to other cities, it's one of the smaller cities. It really can't be called a "big city" compared to other cities.

LA, Chicago, and NYC are beyond big cities. They're more like Mega cities.

Big cities are like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, or Philly, which are all noticeably bigger than Seattle
That sounds about right. There's a difference between "big cities" and mega/super cities which NYC and LA definitely are.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:28 PM

234 posts, read 184,613 times
Seattle is a town that found itself an unwilling tech center a short while back.

That's it, nothing special other than the scenery and the amenities that scenery provides. No one in their right mind would ever look at Seattle and say it is a major city or world-class city or any of that other happy brochure-type too many like to use to make a place out to be what it is not. People work here mostly and the culture is dull outside of environmental sporting activities and depressing heroin-crafted music- and political views propelling the See-Johns-and-Janes-Run dystopian variety.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:48 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times
North Seattle feels like a town to me. South Seattle is more urban and what I would classify as a real city.

It's all relative, I guess. To me, "big city" means heavy population density, lots of art venues, high rise buildings, pollution, public transit, international commerce, bums, diversity, fewer families and more singles. But I know others would disagree with this.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,076 times
I don't think all major cities are "big" cities.

I think a major city is a city with a pretty good economy, and has historically contributed something to the general American culture. There are a lot of cities under that umbrella, but not all are huge. I would say when you use a term like "major" it speaks more of a cities relevance, be this culturally or economically to the country.

When you start talking about mega cities, big cities, or small cities, then you're referring to the actual size of the city.

Seattle is probably slightly bigger than a mid sized city, but does not have the infrastructure that you'd expect in a big city. For example a rail system. I know Dallas and Houston has this issue too, but they're big cities due to their size and population alone.

I do disagree that a big city has to feel dense. As a matter of fact, I think when a city is more spread out it makes a city feel very large. In Atlanta I was amazed how far it spread, and how different parts of the Atlanta metro area were just so vastly different. When you go from one part of the metro to another, and you feel like you've gone to an entirely different place, that what makes a city feel big to me. Seattle doesn't have that feel for the most part. There is never a case where traveling from one Seattle suburb to the other feels like I'm travelling to the other side of the world.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I do disagree that a big city has to feel dense. As a matter of fact, I think when a city is more spread out it makes a city feel very large. In Atlanta I was amazed how far it spread, and how different parts of the Atlanta metro area were just so vastly different. When you go from one part of the metro to another, and you feel like you've gone to an entirely different place, that what makes a city feel big to me. Seattle doesn't have that feel for the most part. There is never a case where traveling from one Seattle suburb to the other feels like I'm travelling to the other side of the world.
Well there goes my point about it all being relative. I guess the first thing most people would probably notice is the racial demographics, and how vast of a change in skin color gradient you see just from taking a 20 minute bus ride from south to north Seattle. Seattle is seriously one of the most segregated cities I've ever been in, not that it really bothers me. But it's also the overall vibe, infrastructure, and subcultures that makes neighborhoods here different from each other.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,371 times
Seattle has always felt like a cute little city to me. It is full of middle-class neighborhoods, so is really some kind of urban-suburbia hybrid. Only the actual downtown area is purely urban, and it's not very large.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Dont listen to this person, they are always negative.

Seattle has its own charm and its own culture.

Just put him on perma-ignore like I did. I moved here less then a month ago from being in Montana all my life and I am loving it in the Emerald City!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Just put him on perma-ignore like I did. I moved here less then a month ago from being in Montana all my life and I am loving it in the Emerald City!
NO offense, and I am glad you cannot read my post, but you are hardheaded, close-minded person who acts quite juvenile any time anybody tells you anything you don't like hearing. It's ok, be spoon-fed everything you want to hear. Since this guy is ignoring me, I hope somebody could recite my message to him..

Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,826,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Dont listen to this person, they are always negative.

Seattle has its own charm and its own culture.

NObody should listen to you..

If somebody has a bad opinion about Seattle, I guess they should just be ignored? Of course, typical closed-minded, hard-headed, passive aggressive Seattlite, you just cannot take any constructive criticism. You always take it personally and are offended.

If I don't just praise, admire and admonish everything about Seattle, I must be ignored!!! NO offense, but people should be able to be objective and discern from their own opinions about their views of Seattle and if the points I make are valid. Just beacuse somebody doesn't like certain aspects of Seattle or finds problems doesn't mean they should be shut up.

If you love Seattle, that is great. I am not telling people to ignore you, because I think you may mislead them with your Seattle envy.. Just in the same way, people should be able to hear criticism or opposing views about a place. That is what makes City Data a constructive, resourceful and helpful resource, rather than just a propaganda machine where everybody is told what to think , say and hear.

Both you and AT, do me a favor and grow up a little. Behaving like a grade school student who holds their eyes and starts screaming because they don't want to hear something isn't going to work for long in the adult world we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: