Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 13,737 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'll be moving to Seattle with my boyfriend early next year and we plan to live in either Capitol Hill, Central District or Fremont - we're still househunting.

I'm currently looking for a job and have come across a few positions in Renton, Bellevue and Redmond. Can anyone shed some light on approximate (realize this is based on unpredictable traffic) commute times to these cities from either Cap Hill or Fremont area (or both?). I have no interest in spending an hour in a car each way, so this would really help me with my job search.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
I live in the Central District and commute to dt Bellevue. The bridges crossing Lake Washington can be a pain. I cross the 520 everyday. I work off peak hours which really makes a difference. Since I usually try to get to work by 11am, driving it takes about 20 minutes. Sometimes I'm in by 7am for meetings and though the morning rush hour is building around 6:30am I can still get to dt Bellevue in 25 minutes.

If you are going to work from 8-4 or 9-5 then I would strongly advise catching the metro bus. I do that a lot too. Its quite simple from the CD. Just catch the #48 or the #43 on 23rd. Either bus will drop you off at the 520. Right at the 520 you catch the 271 for dt Bellevue or I believe the 540 for Redmond. From Capitol Hill or the Central District commuting to the eastside is quite easy.

Rush hour traffic from Fremont will be worse since it's location is north of dt Seattle. I have no idea about bus service from Fremont. I'm sure there is a way. I'll check into it.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:36 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigirl74 View Post
Hi - I'll be moving to Seattle with my boyfriend early next year and we plan to live in either Capitol Hill, Central District or Fremont - we're still househunting.

I'm currently looking for a job and have come across a few positions in Renton, Bellevue and Redmond. Can anyone shed some light on approximate (realize this is based on unpredictable traffic) commute times to these cities from either Cap Hill or Fremont area (or both?). I have no interest in spending an hour in a car each way, so this would really help me with my job search.

Thanks so much!
When I lived at the bottom of Cap hill (almost into downtown), commuting into Redmond was super easy. I am guessing from your nick that you currently reside in Chicagoland. While there is very little commuter rail here when comparing to Chicago, the bus system is pretty nice. There were two express routes that were minutes from my door, Sound Transit 545 into Redmond and 550 into Bellevue. I worked in Redmond and it only took 20-25 minutes to get across the 520 bridge and to the MS campus (I was contracting for Microsoft at the time). Now I actually do it in reverse, live in Redmond and work in DT Seattle and it takes almost twice that amount even though I am riding the same bus.

I also lived in Fremont during that time as well. The area was awesome but it did add to the commute since there is really no easy freeway access from Fremont. I had to take a bus downtown first and then transfer.

Funnily enough I also lived in the CD as well. I took the Metro route 11 into downtown (only added about 15 minutes) and transferred to an express bus to the eastside.

Obviously it's a different story if you are going to do it by car since you won't be driving in express/transit lanes. I would say the commute into Bellevue or Redmond would be more pleasant than Renton, since the north-south commute seems to be more congested.

Last edited by toughguy; 11-15-2007 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM

51 posts, read 261,729 times
Generally speaking, the commute isn't terrible from Capitol Hill (or much of Seattle immediately surrounding I-5) to downtown bellevue. As was noted above, the bridges tend to be the biggest obstacle. I recently moved from Capitol Hill to downtown Bellevue for work reasons, but when I was still there I would hop in my car around 7:30am and arrive in downtown Bellevue around 7:50-7:55am. Definitely barable.

I initially took 520 since, distance wise, it's shorter... but the merge from I-5 to 520 was always a disaster - constant stop-and-go all the way to the bridge. I eventually switched to I-90 and, although longer, tended to get to work a good 10 minutes quicker. The Rainier Ave on ramp may shave even more time from that, but I never thought to try till after I moved away. The biggest bottlenecks tended to be the first tunnel east before the bridge, and the merge onto 405 North.

Afternoons - the lesser evil still tends to be I-90, which generally took me 30-45 minutes. If you have a carpool though, the Bellevue Way on ramp onto 520 West can bypass the 520 mess and get you to Seattle in 15-30 minutes.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 13,737 times
Default More commuting questions...

Thanks everyone for your responses...I have a bit more information now.

I have taken a job in Renton and we've rented a house for the short-term in the Central District, close to downtown (we want to be sure we like the neighbourhood before buying). I can get a car but am curious as to whether there are any transit options that will be convenient.

If not, what is the best route for driving and any estimated drive times would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,789 times
Default Commuting website

This might be useful for you and others trying to figure out their commute from/to Seattle across Lake Washington.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Seat...5reliable.html

The best commute would be from Capitol Hill as it is close to both bridges (520 and I-90). It would depend on where you are working but its probaby a 30 minute commute across the lake to Bellevue. Fremont is a bit farther away so you might want to add 5 or 10 mins. I don't know about Renton but as you'll see on the website I sent you the worst traffic is coming to Bellevue from the south (Renton). I would stay away from Renton if possible.

Good luck to you. Seattle is a beautiful spot but like any city it has its flaws. Traffic being the biggest.

Heather

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-31-2007 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: Fixed URL

Old 12-31-2007, 05:12 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
A possible alternative to go to and from Renton would be the METRO transit system - busses. I went to the METRO website but you're the one who has the specific info needed. METRO busses always take the HOV (high-occupancy vehicles) lanes so they tend to zip past slow traffic.

Here's the link:
http://tripplanner.metrokc.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U (broken link)

You'll need to fill in the street address (only) of the apartment you've chosen, and the street address (only) of your job location. Question #6 means do you need a bus that accommodates a wheelchair.
Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area