Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I've lived in metro Seattle for 6-7 years now and have seen absolutely zero hockey knowledge/passion/acknowledgement of ice hockey from people here.
The combined support of the two major junior teams puts Seattle's minor league fan support near the top. It also has a good sized adult league. Seattle has big time NHL potential.

Seattle needs the NHL to give the sport a boost in the area. Once a team arrives, more rinks will be built allowing more ice time to folks of all ages.

The NHL will be an instant success in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Where did you ever hear that?
Ever go on a snipe hunt? Sasquatch is just bait for even bigger idiots. I know this because I grew up in the NW woods.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 AM

603 posts, read 877,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The combined support of the two major junior teams puts Seattle's minor league fan support near the top. It also has a good sized adult league. Seattle has big time NHL potential.

Seattle needs the NHL to give the sport a boost in the area. Once a team arrives, more rinks will be built allowing more ice time to folks of all ages.

The NHL will be an instant success in Seattle.
I agree that Seattle has potential to embrace the NHL. If Phoenix, Dallas, and Miami got teams then Seattle should too. The only problem is that most NHL teams right now outside of traditional markets are struggling. I don't see Seattle being an "instant success" for the NHL but it could turn into a good market after a few years of having a team.

I stand by my remarks though about the lack of junior leagues, high school teams, collegiate teams, and over passion/knowledge in the region. Seattle definitely isn't a traditional hockey market, and the team would be competing with the Sounders and Seahawks since the NHL season runs from the Fall-June. It's not like the NHL has a price advantage over the other two.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I agree that Seattle has potential to embrace the NHL. If Phoenix, Dallas, and Miami got teams then Seattle should too. The only problem is that most NHL teams right now outside of traditional markets are struggling.
Seattle is not a non-traditional market. It has tradition and is near Canada. What Seattle lacks with hockey is the big leagues. Until big league Seattle gets big league hockey, it will be a minor sport here. See the Sounders for proof of that. Pre-MLS Sounders attendance = significantly less than local WHL attendance.

Quote:
I don't see Seattle being an "instant success" for the NHL but it could turn into a good market after a few years of having a team.
It will be an instant success, just as the other Seattle franchises were. The bigger key IMO is maintaining it.

Quote:
I stand by my remarks though about the lack of junior leagues, high school teams, collegiate teams, and over passion/knowledge in the region.
And that changes the day Seattle gets the NHL. Seattle already has good junior hockey support and adult league participation.

Quote:
Seattle definitely isn't a traditional hockey market, and the team would be competing with the Sounders and Seahawks since the NHL season runs from the Fall-June. It's not like the NHL has a price advantage over the other two.
Seattle is closer to a traditional market than most other non-Canadian cities. The Seahawks and Sounders won't be much competition. The Seahawks only play 8 home games and they sellout. The Sounders despite their success are a minor sport. Both the NBA and NHL are needed in Seattle for the awful/dark winters here. Both will be a smashing success just as the Sonics were. Seattle is a great sports city and will latch onto the NHL from the start. Seattle is such a slam dunk for the NHL that they have been trying since the 70's to put a team here. Now that there is finally a viable NHL arena plan, the NHL will probably be forced to add two more teams just to fulfill their decades long Seattle dream.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:28 PM

391 posts, read 453,812 times
Totems sound excellent, back to the basics. Stick with the tradition.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM

Thunderbirds sounds even better actually

Old 02-04-2015, 01:41 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
Thunderbirds sounds even better actually
Totems or Thunderbirds, either would sound good.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Totems or Thunderbirds, either would sound good.
True

Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
True
Whomever suggested Steelheads made a good selection as well, and it would be kind of a tribute.

Other names:
Marmots(state animal of Washington)
Volcanoes(reference to Mt. Rainier)
Fighters(reference to air force base/fighter pilots)

Old 02-06-2015, 11:33 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,759 times
NHL in Seattle will only be a success over the long term if the team is good and a contender within 5-10 years. American hockey fans outside of Minnesota, Michigan and maybe the Northeast are incredibly warm-weather and fickle.

Even the Blackhawks were at the bottom of the league for attendance just a few years before they won a championship and became popular again. Expansion teams and relocated franchise that have done well like the Colorado Avalanche can have weak ticket sales once they start missing the playoffs. In Canada you can put the worst team in the league on the ice or not make the playoffs for years and people will show up. Hell, in Toronto you can suck for most of the decade and still be the most profitable team in the league. Fairly small isolated metros like Edmonton and Winnipeg can sell out every game(and Edmonton is horrible as well).

Seattle can probably support a team, but it's just like any other US market--I've been going to Seattle for years for work and pleasure since I've spent over half my life in the Pacific Northwest--and I've never had many conversations about hockey(and most of those were with transplants from more hockey-mad areas). Seattle could make it work though it's going to be similar to markets like San Jose or Denver.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 02-06-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area