Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,324 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from S.Fla to work at a bar opening in Capitol Hill on Summit and Pine. I've only been to the city once, and I won't be back until I move in next month and I need to find an apartment. About me: I'm 32, single, straight male, I have a big 3 legged doberman..yep I need to find an apartment for under 1300 per month that allows dogs. I want to be close to work, but I don't want to be in too noisy of an area. Since I'm single, I also want to be relatively close to the action. I've heard that east CH around 15th to 23rd is quieter and that that area might be good for me. My big concern is finding a safe area to walk my dog at night. I have been told to look at Wallingford and Fremont and just commute in. I've also been looking at the Central district, Eastlake, SLU, & Montlake. My concern w/ commuting is finding parking near Pine st. Is it reasonable to bike ride from some or all of the areas I'm considering? I've read some posts on here and learned a lot, but any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 02:14 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fladav View Post
I'm moving from S.Fla to work at a bar opening in Capitol Hill on Summit and Pine. I've only been to the city once, and I won't be back until I move in next month and I need to find an apartment. About me: I'm 32, single, straight male, I have a big 3 legged doberman..yep I need to find an apartment for under 1300 per month that allows dogs. I want to be close to work, but I don't want to be in too noisy of an area. Since I'm single, I also want to be relatively close to the action. I've heard that east CH around 15th to 23rd is quieter and that that area might be good for me. My big concern is finding a safe area to walk my dog at night. I have been told to look at Wallingford and Fremont and just commute in. I've also been looking at the Central district, Eastlake, SLU, & Montlake. My concern w/ commuting is finding parking near Pine st. Is it reasonable to bike ride from some or all of the areas I'm considering? I've read some posts on here and learned a lot, but any help will be greatly appreciated!
WELCOME TO SEATTLE -- Wallingford would be a good pick IMO You've got Green Lake to the North and Lake Union to the South - Dog walking not a problem .. You could ride your bike and commute via Metro at the same time.

Contrary to popular belief, Seattle is bike friendly .. the only time there's trouble is when bikes try to be pedestrians and not follow the rules of the road

I'm sure that once you live here, you'll never want to leave

Seattle, Washington - The Jewel of the Pacific Northwest - YouTube

Old 09-21-2013, 02:28 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
As dog-friendly as Seattle is, its not going to make your apartment hunt easy at all. There's a small number of places that allow dogs... and even smaller that would accept your big breed as well. Your budget might not be realistic, is that including possible dog rent? I know you want to be close to the action, but I would suggest keeping your options wide open and not limiting yourself to one area. West Seattle and Lake City are areas that I know most have success finding a dog-accepting places.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
WELCOME TO SEATTLE -- Wallingford would be a good pick IMO You've got Green Lake to the North and Lake Union to the South - Dog walking not a problem .. You could ride your bike and commute via Metro at the same time.

Contrary to popular belief, Seattle is bike friendly .. the only time there's trouble is when bikes try to be pedestrians and not follow the rules of the road

I'm sure that once you live here, you'll never want to leave

Seattle, Washington - The Jewel of the Pacific Northwest - YouTube

I'm just wondering how long it would take me to bike down from Walingford. Also what do you think or Fremont? I hear there is a little bit more happening there than Wallingford. As for my rent, I would like to stay around my budget, but I for the right place I can spend more and include dog rent. Thanks for your opinion!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 PM

277 posts, read 442,152 times
For 1300 in any of those neighborhoods, you're looking at studios mostly. And as Inkpoe said, Seattle is very dog friendly - until you are trying to rent an apartment. Especially with a Doberman - they are on probably 99% of breed restriction lists. I had a hell of a time finding something, and I have a Boxer. I'd also look into West Seattle, Greenwood, Lake City, etc. Places outside the city core. I live over in WS and I love it. There are still things to do, but I'm not in the thick of it all with noise and college kids (which is what you'll get going towards Wallingford).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area