U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2013, 11:20 PM

19 posts, read 170,920 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
So my husband and I are looking for a place to buy a house. We have been looking in Puyallup as well as the Lakeland Hills area in Auburn. We want a safe place to raise our children that is close to a transit station (my husband commutes to downtown Seattle). We tried living in South Tacoma and that was a horrible experience. Just wanting to get some opinions on how they feel about either of these places or if they have any other suggestions. Our budget for a house is 270k or less so we obviously couldn't afford to live in Bellevue or those nicer Seattle areas. Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,957 posts, read 65,419,470 times
Either is better than S Tacoma, but I'd go with Auburn. Puyallup has some nice quiet areas but in general crime is higher there, especially around the fairgrounds in the South Hill area, and near Parkland. Have you looked at Lake Tapps? I have two co-worker with kids that are very happy there, and commute to Seattle on the train.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 AM

595 posts, read 2,534,593 times
I currently live in the South Hill area of Puyallup and it's great! I've never heard that before (crime being bad here) and there are many wonderful newer developments with great homes in your price range down here. Perhaps nearer to the fairgrounds it could be bad, but we live about five miles down Meridian and it's very quiet, tranquil and the neighborhood we live in has an amazing view of Orting and the Cascades and Mount Rainier. If schools are a concern then check out greatschools.org for ratings where you are looking at homes. I've been very impressed with the elementary school my kids are attending and we came from a very highly rated elementary school. If you need any other questions answered about this area, feel free to private message me! There is a house right next door for sale in fact that is in your price range.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,460,651 times
They're both pretty good choices as far as schools go. The negative I can think of for Puyallup is how slowly traffic can be on Meridian.
Lakeland Hills is nice.
Other places would be Renton, but in the Kent school district( Fairwood and vicinity). Easier commute.
Mountlake Terrace and Lynnwood up north.
Maple Valley. Great schools, and lots of newer developments. A few in your price range.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 PM

19 posts, read 170,920 times
Thank you for all of your quick responses. We have looked in the Lake Tapps area, but the layout seems kind of funky. Maybe we just didn't go to the right area. We are hoping to find a place with a good sense of community. Kids playing outside, trick or treaters and lots of holiday decorations, etc. We did take a look at Maple Valley but it seems so far off the beaten path. Thanks again for your replies. I didn't realize finding the right place would be so complicated lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area