Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 10:42 AM

81 posts, read 71,563 times

Advertisements

We are new to Seattle and extensively exploring schooling options for our 10 year old. As of now, we are zoned to Somerset Elementary and plan on sending her there for next one year. But for middle school, we are aggressively looking for the best choices for her. Heard great things about some of the private schools in Seattle like Lakeside, Overlake, Bush etc. And we are ok to spend private school fees if it really helps her get the good education. So question for all the parents who have been through similar process:

1. In terms of college placement, are seattle private schools better than public schools?
2. What are some of the good public middle and high schools with good placement records in the area?
3. What are some of the good private middle and high schools with good placement records in the area?

I know about the choice programs but unfortunately due to covid, the schools are not testing for next year, so she is essentially not even eligible for gifted programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,223 times
I don't think there's any shortcut to be found here. You're going to need to investigate these places individually. If your address dictates Somerset Elementary, then you'd probably be in the catchment for Tyee Middle School in Bellevue. You can see public schools' "report cards" from the state Superintendent's website - https://washingtonstatereportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/

Regarding private schools, I don't know if there's a means of assessing their college acceptance rates, etc. without talking to them each. I know in our experience it was hard to sort out the facts from the marketing, if you get my meaning. One obvious factor to consider would be how long a commute you or your child would be willing/able to endure. Any of the major Seattle independent schools, such as Bush, Lakeside, the Northwest School, University Prep et al, would be a pretty awful commute from that part of Bellevue, but Overlake, probably the best-known "elite" private school on the eastside, wouldn't be a picnic either, as it's located miles and miles from that part of Bellevue. Plus, Bellevue public schools have a generally good reputation as, frankly, most of the region's major school districts.

Here's a website with links to private schools throughout the region - https://www.nwais.org/

Old 07-06-2020, 03:24 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast987 View Post
We are new to Seattle and extensively exploring schooling options for our 10 year old. As of now, we are zoned to Somerset Elementary and plan on sending her there for next one year. But for middle school, we are aggressively looking for the best choices for her. Heard great things about some of the private schools in Seattle like Lakeside, Overlake, Bush etc. And we are ok to spend private school fees if it really helps her get the good education. So question for all the parents who have been through similar process:

1. In terms of college placement, are seattle private schools better than public schools?
2. What are some of the good public middle and high schools with good placement records in the area?
3. What are some of the good private middle and high schools with good placement records in the area?

I know about the choice programs but unfortunately due to covid, the schools are not testing for next year, so she is essentially not even eligible for gifted programs.
Hi Toast and welcome to the area! My kids from my first marriage went to Eastside Prep and loved it, both excelled in university and have turned into super human beings. Here's the link: https://www.eastsideprep.org

Old 07-06-2020, 03:41 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,032 times
Private all the way, unless you want a cross dresser reading books about godknowswhat to your 1st grader all in the name of “tolerance”

Old 07-06-2020, 07:35 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
With the current zeitgeist of "too much privilege," private schools might actually be a hindrance to elite universities, unless your kid is without doubt top of the top. Hopefully the political environment changes in the next 10-15 years, but if anything it might get worse.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Honestly, the public schools are doing a crappy job handling the covid situation. If my kids were younger I would be looking into private schools to see what they are offering in this situation. This could take years to recover from, but kids' development doesn't stop.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:00 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Honestly, the public schools are doing a crappy job handling the covid situation. If my kids were younger I would be looking into private schools to see what they are offering in this situation. This could take years to recover from, but kids' development doesn't stop.
Are the private schools doing any better though? The private preschools don't seem to have a clue either.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hi Toast and welcome to the area! My kids from my first marriage went to Eastside Prep and loved it, both excelled in university and have turned into super human beings. Here's the link: https://www.eastsideprep.org
I just looked at their course catalog. They only offer one foreign language! I've never heard of a school, private or public, that only offers one foreign language. What gives?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: