Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,044,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
You like the exact same places I do. I really wanted to buy in Edmonds, but we had trouble finding a house in the Bowl or within walking distance of downtown that was big/right enough for us. And my husband was a little paranoid about Edmonds being in a tsunami zone. LOL.
It is TOUGH finding appropriate houses to rent or buy in the Bowl!

Tsunamis? Eh, I grew up in L.A., so I've been waiting to be taken out by something catastrophic since I was about six.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM

290 posts, read 286,429 times
AG,

Another great post. Thank you. As a native, I really enjoy hearing the perspectives of newcomers regardless of whether their observations are positive or negative. Of the latter, the points regarding the high number of left-lane bandits on the freeway, the passive-aggressive behavior of some locals, and the dysfunctional mess that passes for a public school system in this town really struck a chord.

Keep us posted on your house search!

tifoso

Old 10-05-2013, 11:42 AM

836 posts, read 1,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
A funny story: I attended a Beach Boys concert one year at the Puyallup and I, along with 2 or 3 others were dancing up in our seats, in the aisles, etc. while everybody else sat quietly with their hands in their laps. Even one of the BB's commented it looked like a Lawrence Welk concert. Oh Washington, we LOVE ya, but you gotta learn to lighten up!
HA Garethe!

reminds me of those 50's/60's shows with band rocking - they pan audience and everyone is all dressed nice sitting like statues, not moving a BIT to the beat.

surprised that's still around.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
We live in Ravenna/Bryant. It's nice, if a bit ho-hum. We are leasing. I wouldn't buy in this neighborhood, though people do love it and it's popular. I have no idea where I want to commit to buying when we do buy, because I am like a teenager falling in love every two seconds with each new place I discover.

There really are so many cute little neighborhoods and towns that fit the bill, to be honest. Right this second, I would buy a house in downtown Edmonds and be thrilled with that decision. As a Realtor described it to me, it's like Kirkland 20 years ago (I also love Kirkland - pricey). I love sweeping water views and quaint little town squares. I initially fell in love with West Seattle, but my husband just doesn't like it at all. But he'll go over and visit it with me, so I have that. I also recently fell in love with Bothell, and some of the homes around the wine country in Woodinville.

Queen Anne is the place we're currently poking around in. It was never on my radar because it just didn't feel homey when we first visited. The ingredients are all there - views, access, walkability, cuteness - but it's just sort of missing something for me. Maybe it'll grow on me.

My husband and I both work from home, so that tends to guide a lot of our decisions.
Queen Anne is expensive and has already "come up" so to speak. It's obviously much more urban than any of the other places as well.

I'm not in the market for houses, but if I were I'd check out the Central District. Kind of a formerly sketchy/marginalized area immediately east of Capitol Hill centered around Garfield High School, but the name alone implies it's inherent value. It'll be another Queen Anne in 10-15 years as gentrification continues to do it's thing. Strong investment opportunity there I would imagine.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:48 PM

44 posts, read 53,870 times
very nice to save this site and share this type of info. ^5 OP

Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,074 times
I stumbled across your posts via a Google search about relocating to Seattle and wanted to thank you for updating about your move. As a Californian (currently in Orange County) who is seriously considering moving to Seattle I am finding your posts very helpful.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,357,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post

4. I'm becoming a Seattleite. The other day while getting coffee, a gentleman randomly struck up a conversation with my husband in the middle of a packed but mostly silent coffee shop. He was chatty, explaining he was visiting, and then talked about his summer travels. I realized that not only was I staring at him like he was insane, but my mouth was open. .
I loved the rest of your post, but is this something to be proud of?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,230,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't know if it's anything to be proud of or ashamed of. But if you stay in Seattle for any length of time, you will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Old 10-10-2013, 01:39 AM

1,314 posts, read 2,044,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Wasn't trying to say I was proud. I was trying to be goofy about explaining a pretty funny phenomenon!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:40 AM

6 posts, read 9,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikikans View Post
Do you find that the "chill" is all over WA or primarily in Seattle area? I have been to Poulsbo and Bremerton and found people pretty friendly.
I find that the Seattle stereotypes are just like the NYC stereotypes (they only apply to Manhattan).

I'm from Texas as well and still have yet to really notice the freeze. People do tend to be quieter, but they also seem more friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area