Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 AM

172 posts, read 296,731 times

Advertisements

Just cos there is so much on 'Seattle Freeze', I just want to say, everyone's been really friendly and awesome. I do get the sense that some would just like to be friendly and don't have space in their lives for us (because they are so busy), but there have been others who have initiated to see us week after week, invited us to beach outings (before this week's weather, obviously), birthday parties, etc. We've gone swimming, played board games, had playdates, paddled, gone geo-caching, etc with locals. I think, if you have kids, what might make a difference to your reception is if you offer something to the families, like volunteer to be a sports coach or something. Then everyone wants to talk to you and you are automatically included in all sorts of things. Just sayin'.

Oh and a friend of mine who recently relocated from a Scandinavian country said people have no idea when they talk about Seattle Freeze, over there, it was REAL freeze. Here you get people cancelling dinner arrangements (often), but then you just don't invite those people again.

SSLifestyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM

89 posts, read 173,735 times
I have to agree! We've just moved to Ballard and our neighborhood has been so friendly and welcoming. We have two school aged boys so that may be a big part of it, but we are really amazed at how friendly and warm people are here compared to the D.C. Metro area where we've just relocated from. People even smile and say hello when you pass them by, that was a big shock to us after living in the snotty D.C. suburbs for 5 years!!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Glad to hear!

SSLifestyler

Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I'm also glad to hear this confirmation of what I have found in our 20 years here. Having kids does make it easier to mix with others and build new friendships.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:01 PM

192 posts, read 423,385 times
I agree! We lived out here without kids for 3 years and I felt the freeze lol Now with a 4 year old it is so different. We have so many friends and it happened so fast!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 PM

18 posts, read 29,881 times
This is encouraging! I'm hoping that we will find this the case when the whole family moves at the end of the school year. My kids are not little kids but not yet in junior high, so I'm hopeful that the kids (and parents) in the neighborhood will be open to new friends.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM

192 posts, read 423,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir4me View Post
This is encouraging! I'm hoping that we will find this the case when the whole family moves at the end of the school year. My kids are not little kids but not yet in junior high, so I'm hopeful that the kids (and parents) in the neighborhood will be open to new friends.
You will be fine. Our neighborhood has many group so it has been easy to make friends. I even started one of the groups and I have made tons of friends from it!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:00 PM

489 posts, read 963,478 times
I've lived in the Puget Sound since 1979, with a break from late 2011 to late 2013. I don't recall the Seattle Freeze being an issue. I find this part of the USA to be friendly and welcoming.

-Mike

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 AM

I think Jessica and I are saying, it helps to be a little pro-active about it, though!

SSLifestyler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area