Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 16,956 times

Advertisements

Hello - I'm writing to this forum to seek your advice - our family is looking to relocate to Bellevue from Orange County, CA. I lived on the Kitsap peninsula as a child and absolutely loved it - I could explore nature at my leisure in a safe environment albeit some of it was during one of the longest and warmest summers in many years. We are excited about the opportunity to move back to the state for that reason as well as several others. We are pretty confident that as adults, we can handle the weather aspect but there is no doubt we will be affected in some way. However, we are most concerned about our toddler who is used to having free reign in our backyard where we currently live year-round in the bright sun. If we move, we would really like to know how parents and kids keep daily life fresh and interesting if exploring outdoors (where parent supervision at this age is a necessity) is prohibitive due to temperature and wetness? I know we'll be inside a lot during the cold wet winter and spring and beyond that, especially if the temperature drops into/below the 50s, until we can adjust to the new climate. Right now, we are experiencing gruelling temperatures in the 90s. Actually, even that prohibits us from spending a lot of time outside and sometimes the house starts to feel really small. That's why we're worried.

So do parents just set up lots of playdates? Are there places where this age group gathers on a regular basis (museums, kid-specific play zones, etc.) that are indoors (aside from school)? We cook a lot together as a family which I see us doing being indoors for a long period of time in Bellevue, but currently we can burn calories off quickly with gardening and hiking right outside our door on a daily basis.

Also, for our family's health's sake, can anyone recommend an excellent family pool that is extremely clean, well-maintained, and has a flexible schedule for lap swim and family swim times? I detest pools that are in disgusting shape and even here in Orange County, it only takes a few months of a new health club being open before the pool starts to show signs of misuse/mismanagement. I know up in Bellevue, we'll need access to a pool - hopefully a very nice one.

Perhaps all of this is more of a neighborhood question - what neighborhoods in Bellevue have the best proximity to activities suited for families with preschoolers (and a sparkling indoor pool)?

Any other cold/rainy day advice and/or locations for preschoolers is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,050,169 times
Not super familiar with all the little nooks and crannies, so I'll leave that for others. As for pools, we joined Bellevue Club this summer and they have excellent pools (outdoor, adult/lap and a play/class pool).

Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 PM

Thanks angelenogirl - the Bellevue Club looks fantastic! Will definitely check it out when we're up there again.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:26 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,518,114 times
Yes, Bellevue Club, Pro Club or Samena for clubs with indoor pools.

But note that up here, we do not regard 50 degree temps as "cold" in the sense of keeping people inside. Kids don't stay inside just because it's 50 - or even 40 or 30 - degrees. Their parents just make them dress in layers and a warm coat (with a hood, in case it rains). I know people do that in Orange County (I used to live in So Cal), but that is NOT the way up here, so people who ask this question and others like it tend to not get very helpful info.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Hi BellevueNative, thanks for the reply. I'm glad that kids do venture out in those temps - 50 down to 30. I do recall a previous post where they said something like 52 was warm (in the Seattle area). I hope to report that one day as well - I'm over the 90+ Halloweens down here. I figure it will be several months to a year before we truly acclimate to Bellevue weather, hence a lot of indoor time until then. Pro Club and Samena facilities look very nice as well - thanks for the tips!

Old 10-04-2013, 12:53 AM

We're from SoCal and still feel really cold when it's 50 or colder. The kids are still just too cold to really enjoy themselves outside for long periods. Not all kids or people are the same, and not all kids will want to be outside if they're uncomfortable. So don't worry if it takes a while to get acclimated. There are indoor play places, trampoline gyms, malls, museums, etc. You just find a balance. Good news is that the chillier temps are waaay better than the miserable hot temps back in California!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,352 posts, read 80,698,985 times
We came from the bay area and with 3 kids playing soccer it took only one winter to get used to the idea of playing outside in the rain and cold. You have to just pretend it's not raining and dress appropriately. Our grandson who is almost 2 was over the other day and wanted to go outside. I told him it was raining and he looked out the window, said "raining outside" and then went and got his jacket. We were out there in the rain a good half hour before I coaxed him back in with cookies.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM

403 posts, read 679,145 times
Layer them up and take them exploring the parks and trails during the wet season. The outdoors is a different place when it's rainy. Light fleece, a rain slicker or poncho, and some lightweight boots make for good clothing in that weather. Check with local homeschool groups and local parks offices as a source of group activities too.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:00 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,094,828 times
What do children do in the midwest or notheast freezing winters? What about Switzerland or England? Very few places in the developed world have as nice winters as California, Florida or Hawaii.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What do children do in the midwest or notheast freezing winters? What about Switzerland or England? Very few places in the developed world have as nice winters as California, Florida or Hawaii.
I lived in England as a little girl, and the weather does seem very similar to here! I did play outside, but not all the time, and certainly not when it was bitterly cold and pouring buckets or sheets of rain. How is that fun? Should you force your children out into inclement weather to prove a point? ("I don't care if you don't like it! Bah! Get used to it! Stop crying! Crying is for the weak!") Or to make amends for the fact that you came from somewhere nice like California?

OP, and anyone else reading this who has the same curiosity, you should never ask about indoor activities on City Data. It really does tend to make people hostile and upset, or at least feel like you're complaining about the weather. I LOVE the weather here, just like I loved the weather in England, and am out in the drizzle a LOT - I just don't want to be out in it all the time. And sometimes with kids it's just nice to have other options.

You can use Activities and More for Seattle Families with Kids | Seattle's Child to find a lot of great activities, many of them indoors. Also, if you sign up for Groupon alerts, they often have deals for stuff like the trampoline places and the Family Fun Centers, etc. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: