Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:01 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times

Advertisements

I appreciate this thread. We moved to Seattle 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Been here since the 80s and it's such a stark contrast to now. From traffic to cityscape to even the people now. Seattle already is sterilized and lost that soulness a long while ago. Even Capitol Hill is pretty sterilized, its pretty much lost its identity.

Its why I appreciate cities/places like Tacoma which still has that grittiness and soul-- and it's still mostly under the radar, it gets to dodge under its own bad rap/old reputation and perceptions.
I moved to Fremont 10 years ago, when it was barely hanging on to the little bit of funkiness that was left. I can only imagine how drastically it has changed since the 80's. Seattle has completely changed since I moved here. The grunge element is almost entirely gone, and now it's a hipster haven. Very techy, somewhat feminine energy now. Very educated and professional, family oriented. It's a great place to either raise kids or be a young professional, but it is quite homogenous and not really a place for individuality or the anti-establishment crowd anymore.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Bellevue is the only respectable area in the entire Puget sound. Don't hate.
Hahahahahahaha

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I'd much rather find someplace that's urban, has decent public transportation and arts and cultural amenities and that won't ever be gentrified, so I won't be priced out. That's a helluva lot easier said than done, though.
Keep this on the DL, but I'd look into Richmond, VA. I drove through there on my way back from DC and wasn't expecting much, but boy was I surprised. The area has avoided excessive gentrification due to misconceptions about crime in the area, leaving it relatively unspoiled. For a city of just over 200,000 people, it has an extremely vibrant arts scene, an abundance of nightlife, and an overall pleasant unpretentious vibe in general. And on top of that, it's AFFORDABLE! People living there don't have to cram three or four buddies into a one bedroom to get by. I recently posted on the richmond forum how impressed I was with it and people told me not to let the cat out of the bag. But I can empathize with your current situation and think you deserve to know about it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I moved to Fremont 10 years ago, when it was barely hanging on to the little bit of funkiness that was left. I can only imagine how drastically it has changed since the 80's. Seattle has completely changed since I moved here. The grunge element is almost entirely gone, and now it's a hipster haven. Very techy, somewhat feminine energy now. Very educated and professional, family oriented. It's a great place to either raise kids or be a young professional, but it is quite homogenous and not really a place for individuality or the anti-establishment crowd anymore.
Yuppies/Hipsters/Families, with the exception of some real artists living on the south side in Columbia city and georgetown, although they carry some pretention of their own as well.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Keep this on the DL, but I'd look into Richmond, VA. I drove through there on my way back from DC and wasn't expecting much, but boy was I surprised. The area has avoided excessive gentrification due to misconceptions about crime in the area, leaving it relatively unspoiled. For a city of just over 200,000 people, it has an extremely vibrant arts scene, an abundance of nightlife, and an overall pleasant unpretentious vibe in general. And on top of that, it's AFFORDABLE! People living there don't have to cram three or four buddies into a one bedroom to get by. I recently posted on the richmond forum how impressed I was with it and people told me not to let the cat out of the bag. But I can empathize with your current situation and think you deserve to know about it.
I love Richmond, beautiful historic buildings and lots of the same hipster businesses as here...but not a lot of tech. The suburbs are very generic, but boy can you find a huge gorgeous new home with a country club and huge yard for n affordable price! And D.C. is not far. Republican, unfortunately.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:17 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post

The 1999 WTO riots significantly decreased acceptance of the anti-establishment crowd among the government and citizens in general.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
I would consider moving my business to Portland but I would take too big of a hit with the punitive OR state income tax. Little bit less traffic, smaller, cheaper housing, more earthy neighborhoods, Forest Park, little bit more sun, OR Coast, Bend/Mt. Bachelor, Trailblazers, and Spirit Air flys out of PDX!

I looked at living over in Vancouver to avoid the income tax yet be close to Portland, but I just couldn't do that to myself. It's amazing how when you cross that bridge it's like going to a different country. Vancouver is very cookie cutter suburban with a totally dead downtown. No vibrancy at all. I just couldn't live there. They also need to tunnel under the river and extend the light rail to Vancouver WA.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:41 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I suggest you reread what I said. And yes, LC by Seattle standards is considered gritty, dangerous and dirty. It's history doesn't help either as it was worse before. Even on this forum, there's a lot negativity about LC. I am one of the very very few here that would rec LC.

And JM unintentionally proved what I was saying throughout this thread. Lynwood isn't generally that well thought of, but it's an affordable "suburbia" (as he would label it). Just as Tukwila isn't as bad as people would have one believing, there are good points about the place... but no one ever brings it up.

That particular poster was saying Seattle is very racially diverse, Bellevue wasn't. So no, if he had used it in that very tone with that definition, I would have never brought it up
No, what I said is not along the lines of what you are saying. What I sais is that Lynnwood is not gritty or trashy, that there is nothing wrong with it, which is a bit contrary to your point. It is not upscale, but is also not gritty. Not upscale does not = gritty.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
No, what I said is not along the lines of what you are saying. What I sais is that Lynnwood is not gritty or trashy, that there is nothing wrong with it, which is a bit contrary to your point. It is not upscale, but is also not gritty. Not upscale does not = gritty.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 2
Lynnwood has much better budget options for people seeking a trashy lifestyle.

16809 Ash Wy, Lynnwood, WA 98037 | MLS# 469752 | Redfin

940 N 88th St, Seattle, WA 98103 | MLS# 524647 | Redfin

The first home you could move a few trailers onto the lot, start up a meth lab and keep it reasonably secret from your neighbors. The second home could support some good trash, but privacy isn't there and it'll cost a bit more to maintain the lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area