Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM

895 posts, read 1,704,373 times

Advertisements

I am posting this thread because this topic has been on my mind a bit lately. I moved all the way out here from SW FL because I love the city and all it has to offer as a whole, but at the same time I don't like looking at things through rose colored glasses. And when I think about it, there are certain impending changes that could occur that may not be desirable.

I remember visiting the columbia city and georgetown neighborhoods a couple weeks ago and how enamored I was with them. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I am beginning to think it's because they were stark contrasts to the upscale, pretentious, yuppie/hipster enclaves that are widely considered the "desirable" neighborhoods. I live in Capitol Hill, and the best way I can describe it is that it's a mixed bag. Certain establishments are so pretentious it seems to seep out into the street, while others are divey, and others are rather generic. That isn't to say there aren't really cool hole in the wall places mixed in, but if you were to walk around on a given Friday the crowd wouldn't strike you as much different than any other neighborhood that's been gentrified in recent years.

Ballard and Fremont are also considered "desirable neighborhoods," and while Ballard specifically has blue collar roots, it is beginning to have the ambience as a rather sterile, high dollar yuppie enclave. I ate in the Walrus and the Carpenter the other night and I don't think I've ever been in a more pretentious restaurant in my life outside of NYC. I almost felt like some people in there wanted their asses kissed for being "on top of the game" enough to eat there. I don't see how anyone who is working class could even remotely afford to live there unless they crammed 2+ people into a studio apartment.

Fremont would be considered a hipster enclave except the combination of yuppies and fraternity enthusiasts seeping over from the U-District tends to nullify that aspect a bit. Point being, things are getting to the point where you can predict what kind of people are going to be out at night in various neighborhoods. Unfortunately it seems like the city is moving towards having the same pretentious and trendy attitude as San Francisco.

The vibrant STEM market here without a doubt brings a lot of good things to the table as far as the economy is concerned and I respect that. Part of me is excited about where things are going and am proud that Seattle is beginning to be thought of as a world class city. I just wish that desirable economic development didn't bring about undesirable social development and the nullification of the city's working class.

What are your thoughts on this? I am looking to hear from people that have lived here a while and aren't too emotionally biased. This is NOT a thread to bash Seattle because as I said I do have a lot of appreciation and respect for the city. I'd just like to have a logical discussion about this cultural phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,803,117 times
One of the reasons I moved to Seattle was that it was becoming a stabile and sterile booming urban city with less issues and stand out problems along with a lot more opportunities. I think you will find that the other transplants will agree with me. I didn't wanna move to a LA, San Diego or God forbid, New York type city.

Last edited by AT-AT28; 10-16-2013 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,083,384 times
Little known fact, but the city attorney Pete Holmes is actively combating this transition by refusing to prosecute the homeless mentally ill hoards roaming the streets.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,880,991 times
Been here since the 80s and it's such a stark contrast to now. From traffic to cityscape to even the people now. Seattle already is sterilized and lost that soulness a long while ago. Even Capitol Hill is pretty sterilized, its pretty much lost its identity.

Its why I appreciate cities/places like Tacoma which still has that grittiness and soul-- and it's still mostly under the radar, it gets to dodge under its own bad rap/old reputation and perceptions.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 PM

413 posts, read 790,222 times
I've been here since 2006. I used to live in Fremont; I live in Ballard now. I agree with you completely. There's been such a change even in that short a period of time. I plan on moving away in the next year or two because of pretty much exactly what you describe, coupled with my preference for a four season climate.

Seattle is well on its way to being a wealthy, safe, highly educated, massively homogeneous site of consumption for those with the money to afford it.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I've been here since 2006. I used to live in Fremont; I live in Ballard now. I agree with you completely. There's been such a change even in that short a period of time. I plan on moving away in the next year or two because of pretty much exactly what you describe, coupled with my preference for a four season climate.

Seattle is well on its way to being a wealthy, safe, highly educated, massively homogeneous site of consumption for those with the money to afford it.
Where do you plan on moving to?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:57 PM

347 posts, read 670,081 times
The people that bring that strong economy you enjoy so much like that sterility and bring it with them wherever they go so you can't really have it both ways. Personally this is actually part of the reason why Seattle is ranked higher than Portland on my list of possible places to move. A lot of the Portland area looks run down, dank and grungy, which some people like, but I feel much more at home in modern, clean and simple, which Seattle seems to resemble. Of course, I'll visit both before I make my decision.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyled View Post
The people that bring that strong economy you enjoy so much like that sterility and bring it with them wherever they go so you can't really have it both ways. Personally this is actually part of the reason why Seattle is ranked higher than Portland on my list of possible places to move. A lot of the Portland area looks run down, dank and grungy, which some people like, but I feel much more at home in modern, clean and simple, which Seattle seems to resemble. Of course, I'll visit both before I make my decision.
I don't mean sterile strictly in appearance, but also socially/culturally. Homogenization is essentially what I am referring to. It just happens that neighborhoods with the most character and unpretentious people are typically the most "grungy" looking.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:18 AM

474 posts, read 1,456,117 times
The appetite for 'grit' is always amusing to me... and I say that as someone who has also used that term.

You can get a ton of grit still if you're willing to visit it, but the truth is that most people want to know it exists rather than live in it. Go to Roxbury in West Seattle, or down in the Interurban neighborhoods, or hell, even in Sodo when the pro clubs aren't playing. Plenty gritty!

And yes, lots to recommend. I've met some terrific people in Roxbury lanes, and gambled in Tukwila, etc. To pretend that's what you want your neighborhood to be like is a bit fanciful. Most people that live there would tell you that they'd prefer fewer sirens and crime concerns.

Sterile? There might be something to that, if sterile = safe and predictable. Not sure that it's the same as soulless though... I can't think of a neighborhood that doesn't still proudly feature some level of soul if you're willing to look, outside of maybe a Laurelhurst or Madison Park.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM

413 posts, read 790,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Where do you plan on moving to?
I'm a fan of the Upper Midwest

I'll probably move to Madison or Milwaukee. There's an outside chance I'd move to Chicago, and a chance that Minneapolis is in the mix as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area