U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM

279 posts, read 417,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
We are kind of isolated from the rest of the country, geographically and culturally.
But I see no reason why that would play a factor in suicide rates.
OMG... Do planes, trains and cars not work in Seattle?
Internet and phones too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 PM

279 posts, read 417,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
THe suicide rate isn't high in Seattle, because people are too depressed to kill themselves.. THey rather just sit in the corner of a bar, cafe or coffeeshop, put their ear buds on, glue their face into their MacBook , drink an iced mocha out of a plastic cup on a cold, drizzly day and tune out the entire world. This is the REAL Seattle.. Suicide is more common in places where people have more of a passion for both life and death, Seattle seems to be a place where people have a passion for about nothing.

Sounds like you need new friends! Let's do coffee. I don't have earbuds! so we can talk

Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 AM

20,280 posts, read 23,818,816 times
Having lived in Las Vegas for 17+ years, this city attracts some of the most ungrounded people in this country whom would feel uncomfortable if their feet were on the ground! This city receives 300 days of sunshine a year, so you can't blame it on Seattle's relentlessly cloudy skies! Same with Phoenix and Tucson, with their 300 days of sunshine a year, which are also suicidal!

I left cloudy MN for more sunshine, and I'm still suicidal at times! Particularly, when it does cloud up here 2 days in a row!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:21 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,031,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Having lived in Las Vegas for 17+ years, this city attracts some of the most ungrounded people in this country whom would feel uncomfortable if their feet were on the ground! This city receives 300 days of sunshine a year, so you can't blame it on Seattle's relentlessly cloudy skies! Same with Phoenix and Tucson, with their 300 days of sunshine a year, which are also suicidal!

I left cloudy MN for more sunshine, and I'm still suicidal at times! Particularly, when it does cloud up here 2 days in a row!
its hard to say, i will take depression because of cloudiness (which i have) on living in Seattle, over living in a place like Vegas, Florida, AZ, etc, if I have a job here and i don't have to struggle. if i lived in a sunny place and i'm broke and the job market is bad, i would probably be even more depressed.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 AM

385 posts, read 1,002,945 times
I live in Florida and... the extreme heat and humidity of the summers here are awful. I would take the moderate climate of Seattle any day over the sunshine of Florida.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,031,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
I live in Florida and... the extreme heat and humidity of the summers here are awful. I would take the moderate climate of Seattle any day over the sunshine of Florida.
yes, but at least during the super hot summers you can be inside your car with a/c on and seeing the sun. the winters here in seattle, i cant see the sun for long stretches of time and its depressing.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:28 AM

63 posts, read 80,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
OMG... Do planes, trains and cars not work in Seattle?
Internet and phones too?
We actually live in forts here in Seattle. There is no interstate highway yet, and we have recently received telephone service. My neighbors recently got electric service.

Would you believe there are people who think like this? LOL

Old 10-25-2014, 11:22 AM

322 posts, read 709,154 times
I can't believe that no one in this thread has mentioned Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and sleep disorders that occur more the further you are from the equator!

Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM

9,638 posts, read 24,979,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I can't believe that no one in this thread has mentioned Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and sleep disorders that occur more the further you are from the equator!
It's been discussed many times in other threads here. In Seattle, SAD may be worse because the darkness is combined with the lack of sunshine in the winter. I haven't experienced it, but I'm not discounting it, I'm sure it's very real for those that are affected by it.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:21 PM

322 posts, read 709,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's been discussed many times in other threads here. In Seattle, SAD may be worse because the darkness is combined with the lack of sunshine in the winter. I haven't experienced it, but I'm not discounting it, I'm sure it's very real for those that are affected by it.
I've been told by a sleep doctor that both SAD and sleep disorders affect those further from the equator. He said it all has to do with sunlight. That's why they have light boxes you can sit by, which helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area