U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 08:40 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,038,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
As I've been researching cities looking for where to move in the next few years, Seattle always presents itself as great option. The one thing that I can't get past though is how I hear that it is depressing. Many say it's because of the overcast/drizzly weather but I have a hard time believing this is the sole cause. It also seems like it is made out to be a much more depressed place than it really is. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
I'm originally from the South. I've lived in Seattle for many years, and it's difficult in the winter. It really is the weather IMO. Yes, Seattle is loaded with snotty people and hipsters, but so are a lot of cities. Austin TX and Seattle are very similar in regards to the type of people you run into, but Austin doesn't have all the suicide and massive depression problems.

It's the weather. If you go to places like Alaska or northern Europe, it's even worse.

If you can get past the weather and traffic, Seattle is a pretty nice city
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Why is Seattle said to have a high rate of suicide and depression? Because people keep repeating it, even though it's not true. From what I remember, Seattle is actually below the US average when it comes to suicide.
No, Seattle is typically a top 5 major city every year if you go by suicides per capita. Las Vegas is considered the suicide capital of the US, but other notable major cities are Seattle, Portland, Detroit, New Orleans, and Sacramento. Seattle and Portland have the overcast weather. Detroit has the horrible economy, New Orleans is a wreck too, but I don't understand Sacramento.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:01 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,975,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
No, Seattle is typically a top 5 major city every year if you go by suicides per capita. Las Vegas is considered the suicide capital of the US, but other notable major cities are Seattle, Portland, Detroit, New Orleans, and Sacramento. Seattle and Portland have the overcast weather. Detroit has the horrible economy, New Orleans is a wreck too, but I don't understand Sacramento.
Where's Seattle?
The 15 Most Suicidal Cities In America - Business Insider

Old 10-26-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Seattle region ranks 2nd of 33 in U.S. suicide attempts « Social Capital Review

If you go by Seattle proper, it's a top 20, but not in at the very top; however, when you go by the greater Seattle area, it's typically top 5 every year. It's also near the top in depression rates. Like a lot of statistics, Seattle looks a lot different on paper because the surrounding area is so much larger than the city itself. Another factor is that Seattle is actually nicer than most of the surrounding area. This isn't the case in most cities.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,708,988 times
Quote:
I'm originally from the South. I've lived in Seattle for many years, and it's difficult in the winter. It really is the weather IMO. Yes, Seattle is loaded with snotty people and hipsters, but so are a lot of cities. Austin TX and Seattle are very similar in regards to the type of people you run into, but Austin doesn't have all the suicide and massive depression problems.

It's the weather. If you go to places like Alaska or northern Europe, it's even worse.

If you can get past the weather and traffic, Seattle is a pretty nice city
I get sick of this.

No Seattle does not have more suicide, and no rain and dark has nothing to do with it. Cities with the highest suicide rates are generally sunny dry southern cities. Portland the exception of the top 15 list.

So,,... If you want to have a meaningful conversation why attempt numbers are high but actual suicide is not.. We can do that..

But I think that is not really your intention.

Suicide is a grave serious issue that should not be used as folly.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 AM

1,598 posts, read 720,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But I think it's statistically insignificant.
You're not an expert in the field, and the doctor was quoted as being worried about the difference. So according to the real experts, it's an issue. If it weren't significant, they wouldn't be worried. I'll be put my trust in the experts.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:35 AM

290 posts, read 391,909 times
I'd say Washington state's high use of antidepressants is a good indicator of depression:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...=depression21m

Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I get sick of this.

No Seattle does not have more suicide, and no rain and dark has nothing to do with it. Cities with the highest suicide rates are generally sunny dry southern cities. Portland the exception of the top 15 list.

So,,... If you want to have a meaningful conversation why attempt numbers are high but actual suicide is not.. We can do that..

But I think that is not really your intention.

Suicide is a grave serious issue that should not be used as folly.
Welcome to City-Data: The place where people not from your area tell you what it's like

As I've already stated, you need to look at the entire area to get a clear picture. You're not understating that Seattle is mostly a nice part of Seattle. You start throwing places like Everette, Tacoma and Bremerton in the equation, and this area has a top 5 suicide rate. The exact opposite happens in most the cities on that sill list where the better parts of town surround the cities. Also, as someone that works in the medical field, I can tell you that depression rates are high in this part of the country because of the geography. Not only is does Seattle have depressing weather, but it gets dark her a 4 in the afternoon in the winter. Seasonal depression is very real. If you take out the lack of vitamin D in this area, it shouldn't even be in the same conversation as drug infested hell holes like Albuquerque or Vegas in regards to suicide or suicide attempts, but it is, and it's because of seasonal depression.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The return of bad apples View Post
Seattle probably just has the most people who want to kill themselves but are to passive aggressive to follow through with it.
That or the people up here are too anti-gun to shoot themselves. As messed up as that sounds, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to it.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 PM

944 posts, read 1,187,164 times
Quote:
Not only is does Seattle have depressing weather, but it gets dark her a 4 in the afternoon in the winter. Seasonal depression is very real. If you take out the lack of vitamin D in this area, it shouldn't even be in the same conversation as drug infested hell holes like Albuquerque or Vegas in regards to suicide or suicide attempts, but it is, and it's because of seasonal depression.
Given that your link shows that a lot of the most suicidal cities are in the south, you cannot even make that statement out of guesswork from correlation, let alone factual evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area