U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 PM

9,638 posts, read 24,975,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
That or the people up here are too anti-gun to shoot themselves. As messed up as that sounds, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to it.
There does seem to be conflicting information out there. Seattle is something like 27th in suicides per capita, but leads in attempted suicides. So, that begs the question: How are Seattleites failing to kill themselves? Is it that they don't use guns? Are they trying to drown themselves in cappuccinos?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 06:20 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,506,534 times
who knows, but over my ten years in Seattle, one of America's most beautiful regions, trying to date or to meet people, sure has been one dismal experience imo....lol. I gave up trying to date and make friends in Seattle years ago. Now I am moving and cant wait. But I will sure miss the region and all its natural beauty, but not the social scene.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:18 AM

16 posts, read 25,697 times
While Hawaii has eight inhabited islands, Seattle has half a million. By that I mean everyone here in Seattle is an island. Yes, after nine years here, a Chicago transplant, I have made some dear friends, and there are many here I care about. But most I have connected with are, in the end, impenetrable. A prominent psychiatrist at the University of Washington here who specializes in depression confided in me that most all his friends are from back East, where is is from.

Seattle area residents are extremely generous when donating to causes, such as individuals hit with a hard luck story they hear about on the news, deserving groups low in funds, landslide victims and so on. My theory is that, while this is nice, it is "civic" and "impersonal" as the donors never actually meet or interact with their recipients. This interaction, this reaching out, fits comfortably in a city where everyone is an island.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 AM

322 posts, read 709,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username22 View Post
While Hawaii has eight inhabited islands, Seattle has half a million. By that I mean everyone here in Seattle is an island. Yes, after nine years here, a Chicago transplant, I have made some dear friends, and there are many here I care about. But most I have connected with are, in the end, impenetrable. A prominent psychiatrist at the University of Washington here who specializes in depression confided in me that most all his friends are from back East, where is is from.

Seattle area residents are extremely generous when donating to causes, such as individuals hit with a hard luck story they hear about on the news, deserving groups low in funds, landslide victims and so on. My theory is that, while this is nice, it is "civic" and "impersonal" as the donors never actually meet or interact with their recipients. This interaction, this reaching out, fits comfortably in a city where everyone is an island.
Fascinating!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,470,574 times
I believe it's partly the weather. I suffer from depression, and Seattle's winters are ROUGH. This is my 3rd year here. Someone said on another thread that the first 2-3 years in Seattle are the honeymoon period....after that, reality sets in, and that's when a lot of people want to move. I admit, I fall into that category. There are many things I like about Seattle, and there is not a day that goes by that I am not awed by its natural beauty. But let's face it---the weather sucks. You wait until JULY for the lovely summer weather. It's GREAT for 2-3 months....and then the rain is back. The days get shorter and shorter in December. By March you're going out of your mind waiting for "spring". It's depressing.

As I type this, I have a 10K Lux lightbox shining on me. This has been a pretty sunny December compared to the last 2 I've experienced. But there have been several months while I've lived here when it has rained daily for over a month, and that is a soul sucker for me.

I came from NC and I'd love to go back. DH's job is here, though, so for now, we stay.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:02 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,696,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I believe it's partly the weather. I suffer from depression, and Seattle's winters are ROUGH. This is my 3rd year here. Someone said on another thread that the first 2-3 years in Seattle are the honeymoon period....after that, reality sets in, and that's when a lot of people want to move. I admit, I fall into that category. There are many things I like about Seattle, and there is not a day that goes by that I am not awed by its natural beauty. But let's face it---the weather sucks. You wait until JULY for the lovely summer weather. It's GREAT for 2-3 months....and then the rain is back. The days get shorter and shorter in December. By March you're going out of your mind waiting for "spring". It's depressing.
Although I really don't buy into the whole "Seattle Freeze" idea- think it's beyond ridiculous to act as if a city can somehow magically change people's personalities- I do think you raise a good point about the weather. People simply don't go out and interact as much from, say, November through March. It's just a less social time for most. Add to that the very real gloom-ifying effect of the weather for that period, and, well, this is what you get.

Some unsolicited advice from someone who has lived here for 18 years:

-Get a "light box" of some kind. It might not help, but hey, can't hurt to try.

-Save up your bigger indoor projects for the Winter months. (especially those right after the holidays) Whether it's painting your kitchen, writing a book, building that Millennium Falcon model, or learning to play the drums... spend less time on that stuff during the more pleasant months and then really dive into it from January through March.

-Visit somewhere sunny during January and/or February. (don't go earlier, you'll wish you'd waited and the return to the gloom can be especially rough when you know it's not going to let up for a long time) Go to Hawaii if you can afford it; the change is glorious.

-Keep your home, clean, uncluttered, and pleasantly decorated. When you feel good about your domicile, getting stuck inside feels better.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,171,413 times
Yesterday it was rainy in the first half of the day, but my girl and I went out for Christmas events and drinks downtown anyway. We met a lot of great people, strangers gave us two free tickets to a comedy club, and the streets were packed with people walking about. Absolutely no "Seattle Freeze."

All the people who keep claiming that Seattleites are cold and don't go out are just pots calling the kettle black, as the saying goes. They themselves stay inside and don't go out because there are clearly plenty of social people out and about bars and clubs every weekend. I imagine that "Seattle Freeze" supporters are those kinds of awkward people you see on the bus who look terrified and don't say a word to anyone, yet they blame everyone besides themselves for being anti-social.

Just my two cents, because it's starting to get very tiring to read grown adults write "boo hoo, Seattleites don't want to be my friend" on this forum everyday.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,611 times
I have been to Seattle Washington a number of times to visit a boyfriend who was getting his masters at University Of Washington. I've been there during the winter and during the summer. I found it to be a beautiful place to live. Rumor has it the it rains a lot there and of course there are the winter months. Dreary days tend to make many people feel depressed. Oftentimes, attempts at suicides are a cry for help. Many don't really want to die, but the pain of life may be too much for them that they just decide to kill themselves without much planning. This may be why the attempts at suicide are higher than the actual suicides. If someone was really serious about killing themselves he or she would use methods whereby there is no way to succeed. Instead, suicides that are not planned usually use pills or some other form of suicide where the results of actually dying doesn't happen quickly; therefore, there is more time to get help to save someone who has attempted to commit suicide. Just my opinion.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:39 AM

3,534 posts, read 4,750,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Yesterday it was rainy in the first half of the day, but my girl and I went out for Christmas events and drinks downtown anyway. We met a lot of great people, strangers gave us two free tickets to a comedy club, and the streets were packed with people walking about. Absolutely no "Seattle Freeze."

All the people who keep claiming that Seattleites are cold and don't go out are just pots calling the kettle black, as the saying goes. They themselves stay inside and don't go out because there are clearly plenty of social people out and about bars and clubs every weekend. I imagine that "Seattle Freeze" supporters are those kinds of awkward people you see on the bus who look terrified and don't say a word to anyone, yet they blame everyone besides themselves for being anti-social.

Just my two cents, because it's starting to get very tiring to read grown adults write "boo hoo, Seattleites don't want to be my friend" on this forum everyday.
The real Seattle Freeze is more prevalent outside of the more cosmopolitan downtown/Capitol Hill area which is hardly the REAL Seattle at all, but has morphed itself into a bubble of transplants and a much more vibrant and upbeat group of people then you would have outside of the downtown/Capitol Hill area. As a matter of fact, a survey conducted reported that a majority of the people who live and reside in the downtown area are not natives to Seattle or the Northwest , but transplants to the area and are also reported to have a high rate of transiency in their residence in the Seattle area.

Venture out to the farther out neighborhoods and you will experience more of the frozen, reserved, introverted shy personalities that are not just common in Seattle but throughout most of Western Washington.

I was in Greenwood today at a coffeeshop and it was a pretty typical quiet, dreary and reserved atmosphere. The barista smiled and then back to business and everyone in the coffeeshop was not looking or talking to anyone around them, glued to their machines. The bars in the area could be hit or miss. Some of the divier ones are a bit fun, but most others are people just sitting by their selves or their spouse or friend from work and chatting, but not a real upbeat or vibrant social scene.

I'm not saying it's all bad. I have always thought behind the frozen persona of the Seattlite is something decent. And, the outgoing , fun and friendly persona of the urban socialite to be something fake.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,400,524 times
Probably the number of rainy/depressing days. It seems it's always raining in Seattle.
Only 58 days of sunshine????????? Yuk!!!

Number of rainy days in Seattle | Number Of | How Many

You should know that rain in Seattle is pretty commonplace. There are approximately 150 rainy days in Seattle. There are also about 58 sunny days in Seattle. Needless to say, there are 225 cloudy days in Seattle. It is interesting to know that Chicago, Dallas, Miami, and even Portland get more rain that Seattle. Keep in mind that Seattle is right in the path of a weather pattern. It obviously brings in a lot of moisture off of the Pacific Ocean. This is the main reason for so many rainy days in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area