U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,620 times

Advertisements

One of the best methods of dealing with depression is to get outside early in the morning. Even if it is cloudy or dreary outside, it does help. If you are unable to do this, there are other ways to overcoming depression; such as, exercising 5 days a week for at least 30 minutes, eating healthier, and joining some sort of social group that is related to a hobby you enjoy. One other method that my brother uses because he lives in Ohio is a light box. He uses it every day and he says it works great. His wife is even happy about it because they don't argue as much. My brother can be grouchy at times; especially when he is feeling down. Although we have many family members in Ohio, we grew up in California so we are not used to the dreary, snowy weather. I hate the snow. Love the beaches in southern California. Even northern California is better than living in Ohio. The weather in Northern and Southern California are so different, but not as much snow in the north; that is if you don't goto the mountains.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,953,826 times
Default I Partially Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVirtuoso View Post
Suicides often happen due to things like financial stress, lack of a strong network of friends and family, and mental illness. The weather and geographic isolation have little if anything to do with it.

People might be less than excited when they look out the window and it's raining, but if that gives them suicidal thoughts, there's clearly something else going on.
A rep point (ty) to someone brought me back to see what I wrote here earlier.

I agree with the points you are making for.MOST people. However, we have a sub-segment of society that is clinically depressed. Depression is an illness that in a lot of people may respond to anti depressants and/or other treatments including psychotherapy.

Those who suffer from clinical depression don't want to be depressed. It seems even here there is a reluctance to accept that fact. I don't think diabetics want to be diabetic either.

One real problem is having almost everyone appear comfortable deciding if another is depressed or not. For what other non-psychiatric illness would others diagnose disease, without the training?

Perhaps using words like discouraged, disappointed etc. would allow communication about feeling down for a period of time. Grief is entirely different too. People living in every state experience these feelings as they go through the stressors and experiences of life.

For anyone you care about that may be struggling more than others, be a support in encouraging the person to talk to a mental health expert who is trained to make a diagnosis (or diagnoses, as many may self medicate with alcohol which has to be addressed too), and get treatment started. But please, leave diagnosis of depression to those trained to make it.

Good luck to those dealing with situational factors, seasonal depression or struggling to find answers right now. Don't be afraid to seek help. Many people can feel better with the right treatments.

MSR

Old 02-19-2015, 10:04 PM

20 posts, read 17,619 times
Default Everette (sic) Tacoma, Bremerton in the equation...not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Welcome to City-Data: The place where people not from your area tell you what it's like

As I've already stated, you need to look at the entire area to get a clear picture. You're not understating that Seattle is mostly a nice part of Seattle. You start throwing places like Everette, Tacoma and Bremerton in the equation, and this area has a top 5 suicide rate. The exact opposite happens in most the cities on that sill list where the better parts of town surround the cities. Also, as someone that works in the medical field, I can tell you that depression rates are high in this part of the country because of the geography. Not only is does Seattle have depressing weather, but it gets dark her a 4 in the afternoon in the winter. Seasonal depression is very real. If you take out the lack of vitamin D in this area, it shouldn't even be in the same conversation as drug infested hell holes like Albuquerque or Vegas in regards to suicide or suicide attempts, but it is, and it's because of seasonal depression.
As it turns out, the assumption that surrounding areas of Seattle have high suicide rates is also not correct, if one examines the attached map of the US counties with the highest suicide rates. Virtually all the counties in the Puget Sound region have a lower suicide rate than do most of the counties in any of the interior west states. Although this is a map from 2006, it is not likely that the "coloring" of the map has changed that much. QED, the area surrounding Seattle is not a "top 5 suicide rate" area. Where did you get your statistics or information?

Map|Statistics|Suicide|Violence Prevention|Injury Center|CDC

Holy cow! Look at Arizona and Nevada and Montana, and even Oklahoma.

Eritas, your source for urban satire.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:33 AM

2,519 posts, read 2,517,334 times
Seattle is just as drug infested and just as homeless infested as any other larger city I have been to especially from downtown Seattle all the way to Tacoma pretty depressing that entire region in my opinion, and rather ragged looking to..... and is easily the most socially bizarre and standoffish place I have ever lived in the United States as well so maybe that's a factor. just my opinion and view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area