Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:35 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I've been told by a sleep doctor that both SAD and sleep disorders affect those further from the equator. He said it all has to do with sunlight. That's why they have light boxes you can sit by, which helps!
A lot of people get benefit both from the light boxes, and from supplemental vitamin D. in Seattle, It's also a benefit to go outside and get some exercise, no matter how crappy the weather is. And most of the time, it's just cloudy or drizzly. It doesn't rain that hard that often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 01:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I don't know about suicide rates, but I think it is true that Seattle has long had a higher rate of drug use than most, and it seems to get worse as time goes on.

Drug deaths reach 15-year high in King County as Capitol Hill remains overdose hub | CHS Capitol Hill Seattle

Old 10-25-2014, 01:19 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,414 times
Seattle weather is hyper-depressing and gnaws at you over time. You need to live there for at least 3 years to really test it out for yourself and know if you can handle it.

Plus, Seattle has lots of gays and gays are more depressed and more likely to think about/commit suicide.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
If I could I would move to seattle & decide for myself if its right for me. I do like cool, cloudy & wet weather which is not often in so.ca.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 PM

322 posts, read 779,159 times
Eureka, California has a very high suicide rate, and people say it's the lack of sun, but I have heard of other problems there - housing availability and medical access, that could make life very difficult.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Seattle weather is hyper-depressing and gnaws at you over time. You need to live there for at least 3 years to really test it out for yourself and know if you can handle it.

Plus, Seattle has lots of gays and gays are more depressed and more likely to think about/commit suicide.
Except Seattle doesn't have a high suicide rate. 27th in the country, or something like that. Depressed? I don't know. Economically, it's been a city of booms and busts. It's booming right now. When it busts, people leave. So maybe if it's that depressing, people leave? Sure, the ones who choose to stay are going be an odd lot. The odds are good but the goods are odd?
And, I've never read anywhere that gays are more depressed. Nor do I believe that. Seattle has one of the highest Gay and Lesbian populations in the US, so if you're not one, then they're in your family or live two doors down or work with you. They're everywhere.
Some people are unhappy in Seattle. Sometimes it's the situation, sometimes it's the place, temperament, etc. If you're most comfortable with either southern hospitality, east coast briskness, or Midwest warmth, you're not going to get it here. Maybe there's a higher incidence of depression here. I do know that the Gay population in Seattle has a higher per capita income than the general population. Making money is not depressing.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:02 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
I can't believe that no one in this thread has mentioned Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and sleep disorders that occur more the further you are from the equator!
this.
And while Seattle is gorgeous, there is the fact of all that rain....which means it is overcast and gray when the cloud cover comes in for the rain...which affect people who are light sensitive.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:22 PM

1,600 posts, read 939,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
And, I've never read anywhere that gays are more depressed. Nor do I believe that.
Have you even looked? It's all over the place if you Google it.

Higher Risk of Mental Health Problems for Homosexuals | Psych Central

Old 10-25-2014, 05:25 PM

305 posts, read 450,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
A lot of people get benefit both from the light boxes, and from supplemental vitamin D. in Seattle, It's also a benefit to go outside and get some exercise, no matter how crappy the weather is. And most of the time, it's just cloudy or drizzly. It doesn't rain that hard that often.
If someone told me beforehand that I would need light boxes and vitamin supplements to get through 9 months of the year, I probably would have reconsidered my decision to move there.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Have you even looked? It's all over the place if you Google it.

Higher Risk of Mental Health Problems for Homosexuals | Psych Central
Nope, never googled it. But I think it's statistically insignificant. The article you linked to stated that 4% of homosexuals get episodes of depression every couple of weeks, as opposed to 2% of the general population.
The article stated that discrimination against homosexuals could be a factor. So we have no idea if this stat holds in places that are more gay friendly. But even if it does, if the population of Seattle is 650,000, and the population of gays and lesbians is 10%, that's 65000. If 4% of them are depressed, that's 2600 depressed homosexuals, and if 2% of the non homosexuals are depressed, that's 11,700 depressed straights.
Not so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area