U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:56 PM

485 posts, read 783,118 times

Advertisements

As I've been researching cities looking for where to move in the next few years, Seattle always presents itself as great option. The one thing that I can't get past though is how I hear that it is depressing. Many say it's because of the overcast/drizzly weather but I have a hard time believing this is the sole cause. It also seems like it is made out to be a much more depressed place than it really is. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
I suppose one could do a pretty good analysis of that issue by getting data about those that have done it. I have my own theory. The population is over 60% from other states or countries. Many come here without a job, with dreams of becoming the next Bill Gates. In addition, we have a huge economic disparity, with plenty of millionaires but also large numbers of homeless and everything in between. It has to be hard for someone struggling to make a living to see people driving by in a Lamborghini, or to wait for a big yacht to go by while the 520 bridge is up and they are taking the bus to the unemployment office.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 PM

176 posts, read 260,482 times
When I first moved to Downtown Seattle for college, I spent a lot of nights by myself. Add in the rain/cloudy weather, you start to feel very isolated and a bit depressed. Seattle is an easy city to jump into and do your own thing without anyone ever noticing you, just hop onto any KC metro bus and you will see everyone in their own world with earbuds to ignore others. It's one of the things I love and hate about Seattle. I'm not sure if others experience the same thing but this is what I experienced.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM

6,979 posts, read 6,315,219 times
I agree with above. Seattle wouldn't have always worked for me... especially in my early 20's when I wasn't very confident on my own or assertive. It's fabulous in my mid-30's though. I think there will be other times in my life when I need more social relationships (as I get to be a senior) but right now it's perfect. I don't have the patience for people and I"m really just happy working on my own stuff. But I realize this stage also won't last forever, and maybe so too will be my love for the PNW.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM

218 posts, read 368,653 times
IMO it's much more the isolation than the weather. I love it here, the weather doesn't bother me and I'm a major introvert...but the isolation and high percentage of snotty people still get to me sometimes.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 PM

944 posts, read 1,187,164 times
Why is Seattle said to have a high rate of suicide and depression? Because people keep repeating it, even though it's not true. From what I remember, Seattle is actually below the US average when it comes to suicide.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,385,909 times
Seattle traditionally has one of the lower rates of suicide on the west coast.

Las Vegas almost always tops the list with the highest rates.

The reason Seattle has the reputation is Kurt Cobain. One high profile suicide has given this area a false negative reputation.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,385,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Why is Seattle said to have a high rate of suicide and depression? Because people keep repeating it, even though it's not true. From what I remember, Seattle is actually below the US average when it comes to suicide.
Exactly!

Many of you locals need to look at the #s and stop believing the B.S. myths. Do it before you vote too.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM

16,539 posts, read 23,974,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Seattle traditionally has one of the lower rates of suicide on the west coast.

Las Vegas almost always tops the list with the highest rates.

The reason Seattle has the reputation is Kurt Cobain. One high profile suicide has given this area a false negative reputation.
^This If I lived in Vegas, death might seem a better alternative for me too.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,997,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalex View Post
IMO it's much more the isolation than the weather. I love it here, the weather doesn't bother me and I'm a major introvert...but the isolation and high percentage of snotty people still get to me sometimes.
Isolation from what? I can't imagine what we are isolated from. Can you explain more for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area