Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike62pp3 View Post
Don't feed the troll.

Everyone can have their opinions and statistics can say what they want, if two mature people love each other and want to get married, does it really matter what their race is? If it does then you have a serious problem my friend. That's called modern racism.

In my circle of friends I can count at least 10 couples that are interracial with kids.
How many of them aren't white male/asian female. Again, I can accept that some interracial couples are more acceptable than others. But at the end of the day, majority of them are not. Either society doesn't accept them, or the pairing itself is not an acceptable one within their own culture. I don't care how much you would love a woman from Tamil Nadu, her family would never accept you, because it directly violates their culture.

There is a certain depth to these things. I think the only acceptable interracial pairing in Seattle is simply white male/asian female. And trust me, you can't use that as the basis of people just universally embracing interracial dating.

Also there is a big and I mean big difference between dating and marriage. I've dated women of many races and cultural backgrounds. But I doubt I'd be walking down the aisle with any of them. Why? Because there is a huge difference between being seen with someone, and living with them for what is perceived to be the rest of your life.

Again, Seattle is not ABOVE this human trait. I just think people bury this in Seattle with a lot of rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalex View Post
I dunno, he throws an awful lot of blanket assumptions up there that are really just offensive to as many people as possible.
Seattle is also very segregated. And in areas where there is a lot of non-white residents, those areas are generally considered bad. People always say stay out of Tacoma, Everette, Tukwilla, Sea-Tac, parts of West Seattle, White Center, Columbia City, etc. Majority of these areas have a strong non-white presence, yet almost all of them are perceived as bad areas. So yes, in Seattle it IS about where you're from. The thing is, where you're from happens to be divided along racial lines.

Don't get me wrong, everyone assimilates with their surroundings eventually. I'm a jet black man who lived in Bellevue, which pretty freakin white. Eventually once people found out I was an IT professional from out of state, I just because "another guy living in Bellevue". But let's say I was walking in the streets of downtown Seattle, you asked a random person where they think I live, majority of them would say "umm maybe White Center or Central District". At best they'll say "Maybe he's visiting from Everette". Can't say this wouldn't happen in Seattle. And if you don't believe me, try the experiment yourself. You'd be shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There is no real determining factor in education and the probability of an interracial relationship working out. That is just something you choose to tell yourself. I'm sure there are many well educated people who still wouldn't indulge interracial dating. Hell if you're so smart, you probably wouldn't bother. Again, when you start talking about interracial dating, not only does the person you're with have to accept you, but so does their family. And your family has to accept them. Now don't get me wrong, people of the same race don't accept each other's partners, but in my opinion it's usually for a good reason. This is usually because of something they don't like personality wise. But let's be real, humans do judge by race. Second biggest factor is socio economic status. Very rarely do people just marry each other because they're so in love with another person.

That's just the way it is. And just because you understand someone's culture, doesn't necessarily mean that you can live with the cultural differences. Again, you're greatly simplifying things. I like to think I know more about Indian culture than the average American, but I would never marry an Indian woman. And even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to tolerate her culture, or understand why we're so different. And while my family would maybe accept it, it's not to say her family would accept me.

Trust me, this has little to do with education level. Anyone can read a book and be pretty up to speed about another culture. What you can't read in a book is maybe some of the negatives about culture. Filipino culture is into white worship, something even fillipinos will put on blast. I doubt I'd read about that in a book. But that's the reality of the culture currently. So just because I can read a CIA Worldbook, have a library card, and subscribe to BBC doesn't mean I'm automatically ramped up to have a relationship with someone of a different race/culture.

That's ridiculous. And I think the same limitations people in generally have, in America and beyond is the same issues Seattlites would have. Bottomline, people marry their own for a good reason. It's just less hassle at the end of the day. And there are simply some interracial pairings that are more acceptable than others by society at large. Black/latino men can be with white women as long as their trashy, poor, and ugly. White men can be with asian women and no one pays it any attention. Asian men with white women? Don't think people aren't forming some opinion about that one (and it's probably not all that flattering).

you can keep your head in the sand about interracial dating, but it has it's challenges. Go ahead and date interracially and not be one of the ordained pairings, and watch your relationship end in failure.
My head is reeling with this one. Yeah, okay. So, I'm guessing you didn't get a degree in the Humanities did you? This why I always suggest a well rounded education because this kind of imbecilic response can be totally avoided. I find it interesting that you are starting to get pretty angry and offensive/defensive here. You really didn't like that bit about the education part, did you? I'm sorry if you don't agree with me. But that doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. As a second generation American, I have a ton of life experiences dealing with different cultures (odd enough, I even took Intercultural Communication at Bellevue College earlier this year) and although I've definitely have had some problems, it wasn't usually because of me. One can only go half way because it's up to the other individual to meet you in the middle. The reality is that there are closed-minded, bigots in every single culture and country as there are enlightened, curious, open-minded and open-hearted ones. I know which one I am: Which one are you???

And no, I've never had my head in the sand (I couldn't have such an appreciation for Anthropology if I did). I'm a white female and my husband (of nearly 11 years) is Mexican. With the exception of 1 individual (who's parents were immigrants from Ireland!) I have ONLY been in interracial relationships. I'm extremely confident that any future spouse/lover would also be ethnically/culturally non-American.

I know SO many successful interracial couples and maybe there is a reason for it. Maybe you are right in a way. Apples to apples. Oranges to oranges. Open-minded, culturally-flexible, humanistic to open-minded, culturally-flexible, humanistic. Stereotyping, prejudiced, fixed, closed-minded to other stereotyping, prejudiced, fixed and closed-minded. Maybe it is that simple!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0117 View Post
I'm moving to Seattle in a month because of a good job offer, plus I want to escape the Chicago winters.

I'm a 30yr old Hispanic, well-educated, good personality and with a good career. I've heard Seattle is mostly white and coming from a culturally-diverse city like Chicago I wonder if the dating scene is any different than here.

Do white women in Seattle tend to stick to white men? Or are they open to dating other races?
The real question is would a Latino guy even want to date us. After all, it's well established that we're super ugly, we dress poorly and we're all horrible feminists who will make you do all the cooking.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:10 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The real question is would a Latino guy even want to date us. After all, it's well established that we're super ugly, we dress poorly and we're all horrible feminists who will make you do all the cooking.
lol, i had to laugh at this, sadly enough that is the stereotype huh? The only thing I worry about is whether I will be overpowered..I don't like that and I like to call the shots..other than that, I am pretty flexible.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I like to call the shots..other than that, I am pretty flexible.

You were either trying to be ironic and witty, right??? If so,

Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

Seattle is also very segregated. And in areas where there is a lot of non-white residents, those areas are generally considered bad. People always say stay out of Tacoma, Everette, Tukwilla, Sea-Tac, parts of West Seattle, White Center, Columbia City, etc. Majority of these areas have a strong non-white presence, yet almost all of them are perceived as bad areas. So yes, in Seattle it IS about where you're from. The thing is, where you're from happens to be divided along racial lines.

Don't get me wrong, everyone assimilates with their surroundings eventually. I'm a jet black man who lived in Bellevue, which pretty freakin white. Eventually once people found out I was an IT professional from out of state, I just because "another guy living in Bellevue". But let's say I was walking in the streets of downtown Seattle, you asked a random person where they think I live, majority of them would say "umm maybe White Center or Central District". At best they'll say "Maybe he's visiting from Everette". Can't say this wouldn't happen in Seattle. And if you don't believe me, try the experiment yourself. You'd be shocked.
You sound very bitter to me, and it doesn't even sound to me like you have lived anywhere else in the Puget Sound area. By the way Everett is pretty white, with a singificant latino population.

Don't take your own negative experience and project it onto other people.

To the original poster, I think you will be totally fine dating a latino guy. In fact Latinos have one of the highest intermarriage rates in the United States, along with Asians (both male and female).

Maybe it is a generational thing as well though. Plenty of my friends are in interracial marriages, and relationships. The west coast in general is a pretty diverse place.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
A white woman dating a Latino man doesn't even necessarily mean "interracial", considering Latinos can basically be of any race... I have a friend from Mexico City who came here for college, speaks fluent English at this point, and married a white woman of typical American background. He's clearly more Spanish than mestizo in terms of ancenstry and at this point he's basically white with a slight accent.

And it doesn't even truly mean intercultural as well, considering I grew up with the 3rd and 4th generation descendents of Mexican immigrants in California who were basically assimilated and by that point knew less Spanish than I knew(and followed American football with a passion, not soccer)...

Last edited by Deezus; 10-31-2013 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A white woman dating a Latino man doesn't even necessarily mean "interracial", considering Latinos can basically be of any race... I have a friend from Mexico City who came here for college, speaks fluent English at this point, and married a white woman of typical American background. He's clearly more Spanish than mestizo and at this point he's basically white with a slight accent.

And it doesn't even truly mean intercultural as well, considering I grew up with the 3rd and 4th generation descendents of Mexican immigrants in California who were basically assimilated and by that point knew less Spanish than I knew(and followed American football with a passion, not soccer)...
Exactly. What is race really? It has more to do with culture than color. Some people assume that we have just one culture, but the reality is we all have many, many co-cultures that blend together to give us our own unique personality.

BTW: Do you know my husband???

Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
You sound very bitter to me, and it doesn't even sound to me like you have lived anywhere else in the Puget Sound area. By the way Everett is pretty white, with a singificant latino population.

Don't take your own negative experience and project it onto other people.

To the original poster, I think you will be totally fine dating a latino guy. In fact Latinos have one of the highest intermarriage rates in the United States, along with Asians (both male and female).

Maybe it is a generational thing as well though. Plenty of my friends are in interracial marriages, and relationships. The west coast in general is a pretty diverse place.
I never had a negative experience in Seattle at all. At least not due to race. I'm not sharing my personal experiences. I'm sharing perception which is very hard to ignore.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My head is reeling with this one. Yeah, okay. So, I'm guessing you didn't get a degree in the Humanities did you? This why I always suggest a well rounded education because this kind of imbecilic response can be totally avoided. I find it interesting that you are starting to get pretty angry and offensive/defensive here. You really didn't like that bit about the education part, did you? I'm sorry if you don't agree with me. But that doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm talking about. As a second generation American, I have a ton of life experiences dealing with different cultures (odd enough, I even took Intercultural Communication at Bellevue College earlier this year) and although I've definitely have had some problems, it wasn't usually because of me. One can only go half way because it's up to the other individual to meet you in the middle. The reality is that there are closed-minded, bigots in every single culture and country as there are enlightened, curious, open-minded and open-hearted ones. I know which one I am: Which one are you???

And no, I've never had my head in the sand (I couldn't have such an appreciation for Anthropology if I did). I'm a white female and my husband (of nearly 11 years) is Mexican. With the exception of 1 individual (who's parents were immigrants from Ireland!) I have ONLY been in interracial relationships. I'm extremely confident that any future spouse/lover would also be ethnically/culturally non-American.

I know SO many successful interracial couples and maybe there is a reason for it. Maybe you are right in a way. Apples to apples. Oranges to oranges. Open-minded, culturally-flexible, humanistic to open-minded, culturally-flexible, humanistic. Stereotyping, prejudiced, fixed, closed-minded to other stereotyping, prejudiced, fixed and closed-minded. Maybe it is that simple!

So tell me how could cultural education get you around an intercast system? You do know that is a property of some cultures. There is no way around it. To some degree to date interracially or interculturally, someone has to ignore their own culture. Sole cultures even violate each other's values. This is why multi culturalism suck. Dating between cultures is even more Euphoric and unrealistic.

And America is race obsessed. My point is there are some interracial pairings that are more acceptable and appropriate than others. You can't possibly be this out of touch with reality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area