Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM

256 posts, read 320,918 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

So I have two topics that I would like native Seattleites to help me on. My fiance and I are extremely interested in moving to Seattle, but I have a few areas that I would just like some information on. They may seem random, but I appreciate any comments.

So my first question is about the neighborhood culture. My question is whether the neighborhoods are very communal. I mean like you see in the movies where kids go trick or treating around the neighborhood and people generally know who their neighbors are. It may seem cheesy, but I really like the idea of actually liking my neighbors and hanging out with them on the weekends. I've been told that my "dream" is too much like "Leave it to Beaver" and really doesn't exist anymore. I really hope that isn't true. Note: The reason that the trick or treat example is especially salient right now because there have been several reports on the news in LA of children going to the hospital for drug related symptoms after eating their Halloween candy...

My next question is about sports in Seattle. How much of a sports atmosphere it's there in Seattle? This one will overlap a bit with my last question.. So my favorite sports are baseball, football, and soccer, in that order. I will say that I really like the soccer culture that is being brought up in the PNW. The club culture surrounding the Sounders is actually really exciting. Anyways, on to baseball, I am a huge Rangers fan so it is reassuring to know that I will be able to see my Rangers playing in Seattle. My main question is related to football probably. Again, this maybe cheesy, but I like the idea of having people over to hang out and watch the game at our place. I live near LA now and we will invite several people over and it's always the same response of, "maybe if I'm not doing something else." Even last night when a bunch of us went to Buffalo Wild Wings to hang out, it was during the Texans game which is my favorite team. The time that it took for everybody to eat was almost the entire game and then everybody left with two minutes left in the game! I couldn't believe it... I can watch any team. I don't mind as long as people are friendly, the beer is good, and people aren't eyeing the door as soon as they show up... My fiance and I love to have people over and I want to know if this exists commonly in Seattle. Is the sports scene in Seattle strong enough to create a viewing party? Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders. I'm not against going to sports bars for a viewing party, but to occasionally have some friends over would be awesome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
My fiancee and I just moved to Seattle a few months ago from LA. Already, we have made friends with most of our neighbors, who are all genuinely nice people. Most people here have courtesy and yet since most of them have professional jobs, they can occasionally come across as curt. Definitely, passive aggressiveness is the only form of tension that you're likely to get from your neighbors. But in general, I've never walked by one of my neighbors without engaging in a ten minute conversation about anything.

Seattle is big on football. You'll be quick to observe that practically one-in-ten people are garbed in Husky or Seahawks attire. Almost everywhere you go the day after a game, you'll overhear someone talking about it. I'm currently in law school at UW and it's almost a given that my colleagues and I, despite having no real free time, set aside a few hours to go see a game or check out a sports bar. I really can't imagine that it would be difficult for you to have friends over for a game, as long as you provide quality brews, of course.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:11 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,014 times
As long as you're watching the Seahawks, you'll have no problem getting people to come over to watch a game!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:14 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
You can definitely find those types of neighborhoods on the Eastside at least. I live in an area called Issaquah Highlands and it has all those elements you've described... trick or treating is ridiculously HUGE. If you are on the main veins getting around the neighborhood you can expect 300+ kids, and no, I'm not exaggerating. It's just that families feel so safe here (in this bubble) that it's just that popular. I'm not into sports culture, but it's also popular here. The "Grizzly Guys" (a dads' group belonging to the elementary school) who provide game night at the school also get together at the local restaurants to watch games. People like to wear their alma mater gear, sometimes you'll see flags outside, we've got some playing fields up here that are well loved. Recreational activities are the norm here and in all of Seattle. I don't think it's going to be a problem for you at all.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM

458 posts, read 957,883 times
I think it really depends on whether you are in the city of Seattle or one of the towns surrounding and then even further, what neighborhood you live in and if you have children or not, etc. Seahawks are huge and if you have a great screen and good eats I am sure you will be able to have football parties on Sundays with some of your neighbors.

Seattle has a reserve for sure...no secret about that but there also people moving here in droves from all over who are seeking that same kind of human connection you are looking for.

I know all my neighbors...have a glass of wine or a beer with them from time to time, back yard parties in the summer and invite all of them and our children all play together. We ran out of candy on Halloween because so many children came to the door and the sidewalks were packed with neighbors and friends walking their children house to house. It was a great night and a wonderful sense of community was had by all!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM

603 posts, read 877,322 times
I can't speak too much about your 1st question since I live in the suburbs and not Seattle proper.

Regarding sports though, it's pretty seasonal. There is zero passion for baseball but it's mainly because the Mariners have been pretty bad for over a decade. I can guarantee you that when they turn the corner people will start talking about baseball again.

That actually brings me to my next point. Seattle is a fair-weather sports town. When the teams are doing well everybody will wear their jerseys, hats, etc. around. Otherwise there's nothing that makes this place stand out from other cities. Before the Seahawks became good ~1.5 years ago, I didn't see nearly as much fan-fare as I do now. There are a ton of bandwagon fans. I'm not the only one saying this, there are Seattle Times and Seattle PI columnists who have echoed similar remarks. With you being a Texans fan, it will be pretty difficult to catch a game on TV. I'm a Detroit Lions fan and I only get to watch 2-3 games every year. It's based purely on geographical location.

People are crazy about soccer out here. Everybody loves the Sounders and they definitely have the best fan base in the MLS.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I can't speak too much about your 1st question since I live in the suburbs and not Seattle proper.

Regarding sports though, it's pretty seasonal. There is zero passion for baseball but it's mainly because the Mariners have been pretty bad for over a decade. I can guarantee you that when they turn the corner people will start talking about baseball again.

That actually brings me to my next point. Seattle is a fair-weather sports town. When the teams are doing well everybody will wear their jerseys, hats, etc. around. Otherwise there's nothing that makes this place stand out from other cities. Before the Seahawks became good ~1.5 years ago, I didn't see nearly as much fan-fare as I do now. There are a ton of bandwagon fans. I'm not the only one saying this, there are Seattle Times and Seattle PI columnists who have echoed similar remarks. With you being a Texans fan, it will be pretty difficult to catch a game on TV. I'm a Detroit Lions fan and I only get to watch 2-3 games every year. It's based purely on geographical location.

People are crazy about soccer out here. Everybody loves the Sounders and they definitely have the best fan base in the MLS.
Fairweather fans is what you get when you have a pretty young history with NO championships, and few playoff appearances. The Mariners and Seahawks have pretty awesome fans all things considered. The fans have only started to turn on the Mariners the past couple of seasons (we were always above avg in attendance until 2-3 years ago), and it's because of the owners. I'm boycotting the organization until the current owners sell; the owners have never even been to a game, they trade any players worth any marketable value, and they spend no money on talent in the offseason. They've shown disrespect for the fans that have supported the team through thick and thin for the franchise's almost entire existance. They've finally pushed us too far.

The Seahawks, on the other hand, have had sold out season tickets since their first season, from what I recall. And they sell out every game. This from a team that has only gone to the Super Bowl one time.

I actually think the Seattle fans are way more loyal than fans in other cities have had to be. Anyone can draw fans when they have championship rings and star players; Seattle fans have only had a tiny taste of success in 40+ years of pro sports, and yet we've managed to pack the stadiums pretty regularly.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM

256 posts, read 320,918 times
Thanks everybody for all your advice!

As a native Texan, I am definitely familiar with bandwagon fans. Of course everybody thinks immediately about the Cowboys and how everybody loves the 'Boys. That may be true, but any other sport doesn't get the same credit. Before the Rangers were a regular playoff team the attendance was much lower. I've never gone to a Stars or Mavericks game, but there were definitely more Mavs jerseys being worn over the last few years and Stars jerseys in the late 90's.

I'm fairly certain that we both like the PNW enough that any type of sports presence will be enough for us to get along in Seattle.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,301 times
Quote:
Seattle is a fair-weather sports town
Of course, there are so many other things to see and do, and frankly sports doesn't appeal much to the intellectual community that is so prevalent in Seattle.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
I'm a long suffering Mariners fan. Safeco Field is a wonderful place to watch a good baseball game. Unfortunately, it's the Mariners who play there. For most of their existence, they haven't drawn a lot of fans. Summer is nice in Seattle, and a bad baseball team has a lot to compete with. The town is currently Seahawk crazy, and for good reason.
As far as neighborhoods and friendliness, I think it varies. I've got great neighbors now living in Renton. When I lived in Fremont, I had great neighbors. Ravenna, not so much. Capitol Hill, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area