Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 AM

172 posts, read 297,213 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt that Chinese people would buy a normal house that normal people would buy to live in here (seriously, the yard work ...) Probably condos and very high-end properties if you are the type to buy for investment elsewhere. For another perspective, a lot of people where we are from downunder complain that rich Americans are buying up all our waterfront properties!!! I think it is a matter of perspective. RICH people of all nationalities are buying whatever they can, and it is hard for the locals who are priced out and can see it. But the truth is, rich people price out everyone.

SSLifestyler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeasLifestyler View Post
I seriously doubt that Chinese people would buy a normal house that normal people would buy to live in here (seriously, the yard work ...) Probably condos and very high-end properties if you are the type to buy for investment elsewhere. For another perspective, a lot of people where we are from downunder complain that rich Americans are buying up all our waterfront properties!!! I think it is a matter of perspective. RICH people of all nationalities are buying whatever they can, and it is hard for the locals who are priced out and can see it. But the truth is, rich people price out everyone.

SSLifestyler
Very true! And someone mentioned these Chinese spending money locally, buying cars, sending their kids to school, etc. That is not necessarily true- a lot of these investors still live back in China- they are not residents here, so they buy the properties to hold onto them and sell them later for a profit, they never actually live here. So there is no real benefit to us as you would have if they were truly moving here putting their money into the local economy.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 AM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeasLifestyler View Post

SSLifestyler
have you seen Vancouver? some Chinese will buy any home with a yard, tear it down, and build a mansion with no yards just to get every sq. foot out of the lot.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:48 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times
Also Seattle real estate (both rent and house prices) is really pretty fairly valued when you look at it compared to other coastal cities in the U.S. that have the premium type white collar and knowledge based jobs (Bay Area, LA, OC, SD, DC, Boston, NYC). Seattle is actually cheaper then Boston, NYC, Bay Area, OC, LA, DC and probably about on par with SD. The people that think Seattle is expensive either moved here from a cheap part of the U.S. like the Midwest/South or are from Seattle and still nostalgically remember prices 20 yrs ago. People who move here from say the Bay Area, Boston, NYC see Seattle as a pretty good value.

With that said I still think the Fed artificially holding rates down is inflating RE values everywhere.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:27 PM

300 posts, read 414,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Very true! And someone mentioned these Chinese spending money locally, buying cars, sending their kids to school, etc. That is not necessarily true- a lot of these investors still live back in China- they are not residents here, so they buy the properties to hold onto them and sell them later for a profit, they never actually live here. So there is no real benefit to us as you would have if they were truly moving here putting their money into the local economy.
But, some one owning a property a US has to pay property tax. The local entities such as schools and cities are actually benefited from someone paying tax without using the services.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
But, some one owning a property a US has to pay property tax. The local entities such as schools and cities are actually benefited from someone paying tax without using the services.
Yes, but that's the crudest form of civic participation. They aren't really invested in the development of the community, the city or the schools when they aren't using them for their own needs. They are more or less just thinking of it as financial investment.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:30 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
But I think very few people, Chinese or otherwise, are buying homes as an investment and leaving them empty.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:19 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But I think very few people, Chinese or otherwise, are buying homes as an investment and leaving them empty.
Well, that was the strange thing I had heard on the NPR segment I listened to a few months back (that I can't find!). It made it sound that they aren't living in them. Maybe they have the money, but they don't have the documents to immigrate???

Old 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,381,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Well, that was the strange thing I had heard on the NPR segment I listened to a few months back (that I can't find!). It made it sound that they aren't living in them. Maybe they have the money, but they don't have the documents to immigrate???

as long as they can fork up 500,000 or more for a property they can legally come here and their kids too (if under 18 from what i can remember). they wont get green cards or citizenship, but i think they can apply. but heres the kicker, if the couple haves a kid, the kid is automatically a us citizen, and once the kid is 21, they can sponsor their parents to come to america, and then sponsor their older sibling. so in the end, the whole family can be in america legally.

some Chinese see it as a good deal, i mean, spend 500,000 on a house here, have their kids enjoy american schools, and if they dont like it they can still sell it for 500,000.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM

88 posts, read 526,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Also Seattle real estate (both rent and house prices) is really pretty fairly valued when you look at it compared to other coastal cities in the U.S. that have the premium type white collar and knowledge based jobs (Bay Area, LA, OC, SD, DC, Boston, NYC). Seattle is actually cheaper then Boston, NYC, Bay Area, OC, LA, DC and probably about on par with SD. The people that think Seattle is expensive either moved here from a cheap part of the U.S. like the Midwest/South or are from Seattle and still nostalgically remember prices 20 yrs ago. People who move here from say the Bay Area, Boston, NYC see Seattle as a pretty good value.

With that said I still think the Fed artificially holding rates down is inflating RE values everywhere.
I agree with this assessment. There are lot of rich people in Seattle now mosty from the booming tech industry. I don't work for any of these tech companies but I work for people who work for these companies. These are young people 25-30 yrs making 200K+ salaries. One couple I train get a lot of bonus in stock and the stocks are soaring...If I remember the number of stocks they quoted the are getting in 2013 and the price of the stocks right now, they can buy a 500K the house without any financing. Welcome to the new rich Seattle. It is the next bay area.

Moreover if people think increase in interest rate will curb housing, I am not sure that will happen. The reason is Rent is expensive. if you dont buy, you rent, but there are way too many people looking for rent houses and prices are rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area