U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Gay Life in Seattle Versus Denver
Seattle 22 95.65%
Denver 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 36,682 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I have just completed over 2 weeks of informal research on a new city to call home.

I presently live in Florida (originally from PA) and the long HUMID summers and lack of culture here are finally getting to me after 16 years. I am ready to try something new.

Seattle, WA and Denver, CO are both high on my list due to their reputation as friendly cities, scenic and hip outdoorsy cultures, great availability of cannabis (which is my medicine), low unemployment and strong economic prospects. Both cities also have large gay populations.

After researching COL I do not want to live in San Francisco ($1000 for a room?-pahleese)

Here are my questions:

1. I am a young hearted gay man looking for a very vibrant gay population that is more than just a set of bars. (For example, people that want to STAY IN THE CITY to buy homes, improve the community, spend their money inside the neighborhood, support each other..etc..) I don't want to live in a very transient community. I found Fort Lauderdale and Miami were tough to make friends as everyone comes and goes into and out of Florida all the time. It is like Grand Central Station. While you may have a friend one year, chances are they will be gone when their "next train" arrives. While I understand that moving is a part of life, it shouldn't define the community. Florida seems to be defined by that constant ebb and flow of new and old residents, tourism, travel and sun. - you get the idea.. it gets a little old after a while.

2. Which city is better for a long term relocation based on these factors?

Here is what I know:

-Seattle has a bigger, (but not necessarily better) gay community. Numbers aren't everything.
-Denver has more sun.
-Seattle has the ocean, desert and mountains. Denver has no ocean.
-Seattle is close to Vancouver and Portland which are both great cities in their own rite.
-Denver has no other cities for 500 miles (excluding Colorado Springs) in any direction.
-Seattle appears to have a stronger economy based on the raw numbers
-Seattle is wetter and will probably be more conducive to someone from humid Florida. I hear that Denver can be very dry especially for ppl from humid states.

What are some of the OTHER KEY FACTORS I am missing in the comparison?

Has anyone lived in both cities? Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,993,240 times
I just moved from Denver to Chicago. I loved Denver, but it was time for a change.

I can't comment on everything you mentioned, but there is no doubt that Denver is a very gay friendly city. Many of the members of the gay community there have laid roots and have been there for 20+ years (obviously, this doesn't describe everyone). The dry weather in Denver was quite bothersome at times, and part of the reason I left. I like living in a humid climate much better.

I've heard that Seattle is a great city, but I haven't spent much time there, so I'm not much help there.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,368 posts, read 66,152,660 times
Seattle just elected an openly gay mayor, who led the fight for gay marriage recently passed here in WA. I have been to Denver but not lived there. I think the 8-9 months of rain and maybe 2-3 small snow events a year is preferable to the severe cold and deeper, longer lasting snow of Denver. We have mountains on both sides, east and west, plus many rivers, lakes, and Puget sound, with the ocean a couple of hours away. If you need a lot of sun Denver could make more sense, but if you are OK with going as many as 30 days without seeing the sun, Seattle has a lot more to offer in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:38 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,612,195 times
One big weather stat ... Seattle has 19 days a year below freezing, Denver has 156. Plus their claim they have 300 days of sunshine a year ... they also have 300 days of flat, brown terrrain with screaming winds.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,816,831 times
Denver's summers can be intensely hot too. Lots of days in the 90's with day after day of blazing sun with no cloud cover. Much hotter then Seattle. Seattle has really terrific summers, IMO the best July & Aug weather of anywhere in the lower 48.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 PM

7 posts, read 36,682 times
Thanks everyone! This is very helpful to me...... I sincerely appreciate it... Keep your comments coming!

Old 06-27-2015, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,964 times
I've lived in Boulder Colorado area at one time for 15 years. I've lived in Seattle area before for two years. I definitely, definitely , after long evaluation, find WA much more appealing, and want to move back there. Much much more nature wise in WA, diversity, opportunity, etc., than CO. CO is boring in comparison, really.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:40 PM

7,702 posts, read 6,726,057 times
The only thing better in CO is the skiing...

Old 06-28-2015, 12:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,433,999 times
I'm not gay but my gay friends and clients seem very happy here. Too bad you missed Pride Fest this weekend, it is awesome! Seattle PrideFest 2015: SHARE YOUR LOVE: June 28, 2015 at Seattle Center

Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 PM

33 posts, read 33,810 times
I can only comment on half of your issues, but I moved to Seattle in December from Philadelphia and as for transients: we're EVERYWHERE. I can say, easily, more than half the people I meet are from somewhere else. Make of that what you will.

Weather wise, I excepted rain, clouds and cooler temperatures... Check our weather: http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/USWA0395:1:US It's so dry and most of the grass you see is straw colored unless it's a public park, but even then you might see dry patches. Today when I went to brunch and it drizzled for five minutes and workers and patrons alike started to cheer and clap their hands. What's worse is most apartments/homes aren't equipped with AC because apparently in the past they never had to deal with such heat. We can't even put an AC in any of our apartment windows because they're not designed to hold one. The windows are large and close horizontally.

There are plenty of jobs here, but it's also highly competitive. Like the landlords, employers can be picky about who they choose.

I've been to Vancouver, it's meh, but Portland is pretty great. I have friends down there and they also are experiencing the same issues with heat (it's even hotter there! 100 degrees) and lack of AC friendly apartments.

The nature around Seattle is beautiful. I saw an eagle flying over the Puget Sound yesterday. There's beautiful and unusual flowers you can find in neighborhood yards or out on hikes. The hikes, the hikes are AMAZING - if you're into that. That being said, we're not really by the ocean. The coast is about a four hour drive and the beaches aren't your typical Florida/Jersey/Maryland beaches. There's a couple beaches within 20 minutes of Seattle (West Seattle, Edmonds) but they're also meh and get crowded on a hot day. West Seattle's beach doesn't really have sand, it's more dirt-like, but you work with what you have.

I've never been to Colorado, so I can't really compare the two, but I hope this helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area