Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM

88 posts, read 526,828 times

Advertisements

I was taking my nephew and niece to the zoo and this time I noticed the houses right opposite the zoo. I am wondering if people living in these houses can actually hear animals. That would be really cool or is it disturbing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
(I don't live in that area, but have a couple comments a bit tongue-in-cheek. May still be relevant to your question.)

Last time at the zoo, perhaps ten years ago, I watched a male lion standing on a prominent ridge of rock (or faux-rock) roaring to the crowd. The "crowd" being his pride, and any other creature with earshot, as far as the lion was concerned. Guessing he was 100' or more from my observation point. Couple comments somewhat in-line with your question:

- the sound really carried, in broad daylight. Dunno if lions are nocturnal.
- gave me a feeling of primal dread and awe no doubt dating from the earliest hominids (our plains apes ancestors).

The roar of great cats, current and extinct variations, must have struck a chord of terror for us, across (many) thousands of years, day or night, on the plains or in caves. If I heard that at midnight, I'd probably instinctively go for a gun (spear, sling, bow and arrow). Call me crazy.

On a related note, I spent a fair number of Friday and Saturday evenings on Grizzly Peak Blvd in the Berkeley Hills just east of Berkeley, CA. Along the ridgeline, with spectacular views of SF to the west, and various points north and south. From a particular vantage point, known as "the Wall" (overlook), one could sometimes hear gorillas calling not long after sunset. UC Berkeley had (or may still have) a primate research center not terribly far down slope, on-campus. A rather-haunting melody, that, and somehow soothing.

...going back to that monkey/primate thing, see above (grin).

Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
A good friend of mine lived 2 blocks from the zoo (across the street and east). Yes, you could hear it. However, even by the time you got to her place it wasn't obnoxious - mostly bird sounds, and fairly infrequent. I found it kinda neat. What was more obnoxious was the concerts and traffic.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:05 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Yes you can definitely hear them, and on rare occasions neighbors have found rogue monkeys in their yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area