U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM

11 posts, read 13,724 times

Advertisements

Just moved from another state to Seattle. A friend of mine is leasing his condo to me. Not sure how safe is 25th ave and Blakeley street. I looked it up on Google Maps and found that 25th Ave is the dividing line between U District and University Village?
It's kind confusing that east of 25th ave/Blakeley is whether Ravenna or U-Village?

That friend told me that it is kind far away from the Ave, where is the hotspot for crimes. Not sure whether it is safe to live in that location (25 and Blakeley).

I also found that that area is full of old/down-scale condos which the renters are all college students or 20-ish.
Is it safe to live there for, say, couple years? How's university district overall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,830,893 times
I worked fairly close to there for years and I'd consider it to be much safer than the majority of the U district. It does get a bit of spill over property crime being near the U district, major arterials and bus routes. The main 'crime center' in the U district has always been the area north of 47th around the intersection with University Ave, which is a ways up a very steep hill from 25th and Blakeley. Not to say that 47th and the Ave is horrible but it's good to keep an eye on your surroundings- even more so than other parts of the U district.

U Village is a fairly upscale shopping area now - and it wouldn't attract the kinds of shoppers that can afford to spend money there if it were inherently unsafe.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,872,750 times
It's a fine area! Wouldn't consider it U-district, though. You'll likely see lots of moms with fancy strollers walking down to one of the four(!) Starbucks at U Village, which is a pretty chi-chi, upscale shopping center. A few cute shops right there on Blakeley, too, including a cozy yet large Zoka cafe and a salon I've been meaning to try. I never feel unsafe in this area with my children, even at night, and I'm somewhat of a scaredy cat. Hope this helps!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
It's a fine area! Wouldn't consider it U-district, though. You'll likely see lots of moms with fancy strollers walking down to one of the four(!) Starbucks at U Village, which is a pretty chi-chi, upscale shopping center. A few cute shops right there on Blakeley, too, including a cozy yet large Zoka cafe and a salon I've been meaning to try. I never feel unsafe in this area with my children, even at night, and I'm somewhat of a scaredy cat. Hope this helps!
This really helps. I usually check the Seattle Crime map (which stops working today), which I think 25th ave is a bit unsafe especially at night. Many car prowls and car thefts. Also found out that most buildings are old apartments for college kids in that area. Hopefully they don't make troubles..

Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,872,750 times
I bet the Seattle Crime Map prevents some people from moving to Seattle at all... no joke. I'm from a large city (L.A.) so you think I'd be used to it, but the potential for property crime is greater here, and freaks me out if I think about.

If it means anything, it's not something you can see, and the area you're talking about looks nice. It's not what anyone would consider a "sketchy" area. I'm not sure what old apartments you're seeing, but they must blend into the scenery because I can't picture them.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,680,816 times
There have been crime reports and muggings on the streets in that area that the UW gets on its alert email system were just work and usually 90‰, of the time it's late at night and the person is at the wrong place at the wrong time and usually carrying an expensive item like a smartphone around that gets stolen.

In short, stay off streets late at night sans being with a large group of people and don't wave your iPhone around in the dark like a nimrod and you'll be fine.

There was also a series of break ins into dorms and houses in u area, mostly due as a result of people not locking doors and windows. Seattle is known for its high property break ins and damage, so have common sense as a result

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM

Seems like break-and-entering is a problem in Seattle. Well maybe the chance of being burglarized is smaller because I live in a condo? How about walking alone at 7:30 pm on Burke-Gilman and 25th ave?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:32 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,442,224 times
Quote:
Seems like break-and-entering is a problem in Seattle. Well maybe the chance of being burglarized is smaller because I live in a condo? How about walking alone at 7:30 pm on Burke-Gilman and 25th ave?
It is. More cars than houses, but you can't pretend you live in Mayberry. Keep doors locked and valuables out of sight. Generally thieves are looking for an easy target, and I am always surprised at the number of people willing to oblige them. 1st floor condos are just as good of a target as a house, maybe better because one strange person lurking about isn't as remarkable around a place where people come and go a lot. Upper floors however, are significantly less of a target.

I've never walked on the Burke Gilman trail in that area at that time, but the portion I lived near was just fine at that time of day (further south though, more residential area). I would also feel ok walking around your neighborhood at that time.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 PM

Feel like there are many homeless and mental ill persons on streets compared to many cities. Do they impose risks to people?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,680,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson_wa View Post
Feel like there are many homeless and mental ill persons on streets compared to many cities. Do they impose risks to people?
Now your just being paranoid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area