Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What color should I get?
Black 4 23.53%
Charcoal Grey? 4 23.53%
Other? 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I always liked yellow/orange cars but the one time I considered buying one I ran into some deep, existential first world problems. It was a yellow Lexus IS300, and I thought long and hard about the difficulties associated with it. Am I really a 'yellow car guy'? What if I buy this and find out I'm not a yellow car guy? And then how do I sell the garish heap? Am I really a 'Lexus guy'? a YELLOW Lexus guy? Well, apparently not yet because I've never owned a yellow car. But a yellow car still could happen, but never a Lexus.
Mmmmkay... you might want wanna seek out some professional help with this.

Yeah, so I shows up at the dealership a week after cursing into Seattle and I sayz, "show me wha'cha got" for $18 grand in cash" and they shows me a black one, a grey one, a blue one and the yellow one. I says, "take the cash, I'll take the car" and that's as difficult as it be. I drive it for 6 more years and then it belong to the first born. That garish heap will be up to him to sell

First World Problem is when you be thinking about it months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Mmmmkay... you might want wanna seek out some professional help with this.

Yeah, so I shows up at the dealership a week after cursing into Seattle and I sayz, "show me wha'cha got" for $18 grand in cash" and they shows me a black one, a grey one, a blue one and the yellow one. I says, "take the cash, I'll take the car" and that's as difficult as it be. I drive it for 6 more years and then it belong to the first born. That garish heap will be up to him to sell

First World Problem is when you be thinking about it months later.
Nah, that was a decade ago (IS300) your post about a yeller car brought back memories from when it was a real consideration.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 AM

172 posts, read 296,798 times
If you buy a Mazda they throw in free car washes! Forever.

SSLifestyler

Old 11-14-2013, 09:07 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
There are other considerations in picking a car color, no?

For instance, certain colors are more likely to be stopped for speeding. A Traffic School teacher once told me that YELLOW cars are the most likely to be pulled over by cops, followed by RED. (I'm talking as a percentage of the total number of cars of that color, not the overall number of cars of that color pulled over.)

Why this is so is up to speculation. Some suggest that...

1. Yellow and red are more eye-catching, including to cops.

2. Yellow and red feel like "fast" colors. A yellow car traveling at 80 mph seems faster than a blue car going 80. Yellow and red also feel more like a color that's flaunting authority when speeding, giving the finger to the cops.

3. Others suggest that perhaps yellow and red cars do go faster. That people who buy sports cars and muscle cars are more likely to speed, and also more likely to pick yellow and red, whereas generic sedan drivers are both more likely to pick sedate colors and drive slower.

WHITE is a good car color in southern California, since so many people drive them. It seems to be the most popular color, across most brands. This means that white cars are better "camoflagued" on the road, and less likely to catch a cop's attention.

I don't know what a good camoflague color in Seattle would be.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would not want to have a white car in a snowstorm, though they are pretty rare. The yellow and red cars getting tickets is a lot less of an issue now that they are using radar all the time. I suppose when there are 6 cars speeding and the cop has to decide which 2 he can pull over it might be the easiest color to spot. Last time I got pulled over (last week) it was radar but I was in a beater that's Aquamarine Frost color, very bland. (Got off with a warning)

Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
Black.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
honestly I haven't thought of brighter colors. Let me look and see what they are offering
This was clear from your OP. I was hoping to get you to think outside the box.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,532,885 times
We own two white cars and they do just fine. We have had black and gray as well and while the black was horrible, the gray was fine. My Highlander is a pearl white and I don't wash it a lot and it looks fine most of the time. I was also looking at an eggplant colored one but then I saw it dirty and it looked like a completely different color.

Here's a little tidbit on if color affects resale...

Does Color Affect Resale Value? - AutoTrader.com

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,214,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
- I wash it EVERY week, rain or shine. ...

What is this Wash?

But seriously, I have a black cart and have never washed it since new in 2008. It looks about average, certainly not horrible.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I recommend yellow or green. Green goes with Seattle(sports colors). Yellow is bright and visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area