Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson502 View Post
I would say for starters the ones that typically have the lowest average pay.

30 Worst Paying College Majors: 2013

This provides a good link and they all seem to be liberal arts major that are in declining demand. Also if people got those degrees at non regionally accredited institutions they maybe looked down upon in the job market. Im just showing a plausible answer as to why these college students may end up in these situations is because they are studying in fields that are typically low paying and over saturated.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Not too many engineering or business majors working at McDonald's...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth

Not too many engineering or business majors working at McDonald's...
Now what happens if everyone follows that advice? Would those markets then become saturated?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 AM

300 posts, read 414,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Now what happens if everyone follows that advice? Would those markets then become saturated?
It does not matter. The market will adjust it. A welder or auto mechanic could make better money than engineers one day if the companies could not find enough qualified people to fill the positions. Let market decides the pay instead of government. Supply and demand will determine the pay.

Last edited by tom331; 12-14-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
Also, that meme doesn't even mention one fact I keep saying but the lemmings won't understand: THE MCDONALD'S CORPORATION DOESN'T PAY THE GUY FLIPPING THE BURGERS! ALL THEY DO IS SELL GOODS TO THE FRANCHISEE WHO IS AN INDEPENDENT ENTITY AND IT IS THE FRANCHISEE, NOT THE CORPORATION, THAT PAYS PEOPLE!

Honestly, getting made at McDonald's corp because their franchisees don't pay well is like getting made at Poland Spring because the 711 in which you purchased your Poland spring doesn't pay its workers well.
I think it's perfectly defensible to criticize a global cooperation that specifically structures its business operations so it is divorced from the messy reality of the people actually producing its products.

"Hey, it's not our fault. They're not our employees!" Sure, and apparel makers like Nike and H&M don't technically employ sweatshop workers in Bangladesh to make your clothes and shoes.

Indirectly employing people like that is a cynical way for companies to absolve themselves from any and all responsibility for the welfare of the people that actually make their products.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
In stead of a minimum wage I would rather see fair pay this way.
base job flipping burgers, = base pay. doing job to companies standards $5.00
add. training a new bee flipping burgers= + $ 2.00
add, re stocking burger assembly line. +=$2.00
add, assembly line =+ $2.00
Remember these all are being done by the same person all at once . Still maintaining the company standards.
Each added responsibility being paid for .
Some one refusing to do more than flip burgers doesn't get more than $5.00 and hour.
I have been in many situations where because of my many skills ,I got saddled with a lot of responsibilities but didn't get paid accordingly , where as some one else that only did one basic job was getting preferential treatment.
I left .
When they were begging me back, I said "no".
Not stupid enough to fall into that again. I enjoyed the work, but not the abuse.
Removing the politics off the job, is far more productive and profitable .
But when politics get involved the productivity suffers.
Family members on a job that horse around, and get away with it, jeopardize the job.
Politically correctness has done more to damage the business world , than help it.
Respect is no longer earned, it is demanded by petulant children .
No respectable business want's to do business with them, so the petulant find some one else.
What's left is the starving business that will bend over for any one.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
I think it's perfectly defensible to criticize a global cooperation that specifically structures its business operations so it is divorced from the messy reality of the people actually producing its products.

"Hey, it's not our fault. They're not our employees!" Sure, and apparel makers like Nike and H&M don't technically employ sweatshop workers in Bangladesh to make your clothes and shoes.
That is completely different than a franchise. McDonald's just sells products to franchisees, clothing stores buy clothes from factories. If you are going to blame McDonald's because of who they sell to, why stop with them? Why not sue the guy who sold the 9/11 hijackers coffee and a knish? Why not charge the man at the pharmacy with accessory to rape because he sold a man some condoms and JY and he then went out and raped someone with them?

Quote:
Indirectly employing people like that is a cynical way for companies to absolve themselves from any and all responsibility for the welfare of the people that actually make their products.
No, franchisees are not "indirect employment," it is a business model that has nothing to do with employing anyone. You may as well blame the cattle ranchers who grew the cows that went into the burgers I mean hey, they're making money on minimum wage too.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post

What happens if everyone stops being criminals? Wouldn't police get laid off?

It will never happen as some people are just criminals, always will be. Likewise, there will always be idiotic people who major in English Literature and end up working at a Taco Bell.

Old 12-14-2013, 04:40 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
It does not matter. The market will adjust it. A welder or auto mechanic could make better money than engineers one day if the companies could not find enough qualified people to fill the positions. Let market decides the pay instead of government. Supply and demand will determine the pay.
Welders are in short supply largely due to society trying to push everyone into white collar office jobs, whether they are best suited for them or not.

American Welding Society - Welding Journal - Editorial

The list of skills/attributes the author says highly paid welders should have for the most part could be applied to any job. People who don't have most of these aren't likely to be highly paid in any field.

A Commitment to Safety.
Experience.
Team Member.
Math Skills.
Work Ethic.
Blueprint Reading.
Multiprocess Capability.
Quality Oriented.
Cooperates Well with Management.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:15 PM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
That is completely different than a franchise. McDonald's just sells products to franchisees, clothing stores buy clothes from factories.

I fully understand that the legal arrangement of an apparel brand that has contractors make its apparel and then sells to stores is different than that of a franchised restaurant. The exploitation of the workers that produce the product for massive global brands yet don't see any of the benefits is what I thought was analogous.

Also, as a response to the endless "THOSE EMPLOYEES DON'T WORK FOR MCDONALD'S. IT'S A FRANCHISE!!!1111one" arguments, How do you feel about McDonalds exploiting its franchisees to keep its share prices up?

Old 12-14-2013, 05:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
So, you're saying it doesn't matter if there are too many people with certain degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area