Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM

719 posts, read 988,685 times

Advertisements

The other advantage Flagstaff has over Prescott (and particularly Phoenix) is that, at about 7,000 ft., Flagstaff is in a completely different climatological zone than is Prescott, or, for that matter, Phoenix. Prescott is significantly cooler than Phoenix, but Flagstaff is yet cooler still, and experiences fairly substantial snowfall every winter (it's the king of Arizona sky country), and warm - but not blazing - summers. I would compare it, in terms of climate, to Lake Tahoe, although it probably receives less overall moisture. It's not a big, big city, mind you (but neither is Prescott), so finding work in either place would be something you'd want to think about before picking up and moving.

Either city will have a staggeringly lower cost of living than Seattle, Tacoma, or even Olympia, particularly if you're looking to buy. The housing market in the southwest is still in a veritable shambles, so homes are going at fire sale prices at the moment. It won't last forever, but it is something to consider. Both Flagstaff and Prescott possess small airports with daily fights into Phoenix, but Flagstaff is located on BNSF's Transom line, and has Amtrak, too. It's also located on I-40, a major east-west interstate. Prescott is more off the beaten path.

Mind you, I'm not trying to steer you in either direction. One advantage Washington has is the lack of income tax, the same which cannot be said of Arizona. It's just that the overall costs here are steeper. That may be offset by for you Puget Sound's famously beautiful scenery and a more amiable (in your case) political bent, but, like Inkpoe said, you're likely going to have to sacrifice something on your wish list if you come here.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 12-05-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:33 PM

492 posts, read 1,042,488 times
OP, $1600 a month for rent for a house is barely possible in this area, so maybe check if the expected pay would be higher enough to support more like $1800. Fracking isn't a sufficient reason to rule out CO. Houses in the Denver area are about half the price of Seattle's and their weather is better overall IMO. Denver proper has a good water supply that shouldn't be affected by fracking.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 PM

33 posts, read 54,302 times
Ok we will be looking at Olympia, which is funny because the people we bought our house from in Santa Rosa moved there. Also, University Place, Renton and Denver

Thank You Tall Traveler for giving us a target salary. We are a young family and my husband is still building his career so it's hard to reach 100k. Of course, we can combine incomes but hopefully one day we won't have to.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Oh, Maple Valley too

Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
The other advantage Flagstaff has over Prescott (and particularly Phoenix) is that, at about 7,000 ft., Flagstaff is in a completely different climatological zone than is Prescott, or, for that matter, Phoenix. Prescott is significantly cooler than Phoenix, but Flagstaff is yet cooler still, and experiences fairly substantial snowfall every winter (it's the king of Arizona sky country), and warm - but not blazing - summers. I would compare it, in terms of climate, to Lake Tahoe, although it probably receives less overall moisture. It's not a big, big city, mind you (but neither is Prescott), so finding work in either place would be something you'd want to think about before picking up and moving.

Either city will have a staggeringly lower cost of living than Seattle, Tacoma, or even Olympia, particularly if you're looking to buy. The housing market in the southwest is still in a veritable shambles, so homes are going at fire sale prices at the moment. It won't last forever, but it is something to consider. Both Flagstaff and Prescott possess small airports with daily fights into Phoenix, but Flagstaff is located on BNSF's Transom line, and has Amtrak, too. It's also located on I-40, a major east-west interstate. Prescott is more off the beaten path.

Mind you, I'm not trying to steer you in either direction. One advantage Washington has is the lack of income tax, the same which cannot be said of Arizona. It's just that the overall costs here are steeper. That may be offset by for you Puget Sound's famously beautiful scenery and a more amiable (in your case) political bent, but, like Inkpoe said, you're likely going to have to sacrifice something on your wish list if you come here.
PrincessoftheCape, You gave some valuable advice. We are definitely rethinking the Prescott/Flagstaff area. Especially since we have family there. Our kids and parents would benefit from being together. Thanks!!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM

492 posts, read 1,042,488 times
When I looked at Flagstaff the house prices were about 2/3 of what they are in Seattle, way out of line with job opportunities there. I figure prices are run up by wealthy Phoenicians wanting a second home in a cooler climate. Prescott is cheaper and Prescott Valley and Cottonwood are cheaper still.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,903,423 times
Curious: what is wrong with the Midwest or Deep South?

It isn't all a cultural wasteland: Madison, WI, Louisville, KY, Ann Arbor, MI, Austin, TX. Just throwing that out there.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Curious: what is wrong with the Midwest or Deep South?

It isn't all a cultural wasteland: Madison, WI, Louisville, KY, Ann Arbor, MI, Austin, TX. Just throwing that out there.
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but scenery plays a huge role in my quality of life. If I can't go outside and see mountains or oceans (or both!), I find myself feeling unhappy. Having lived in the Midwest and the south, I say without any hesitation that I would sooner go homeless than go back - particularly to the Midwest, which I have profoundly bad memories of.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 12-07-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Ok, friends. What about Spokane? Visually it looks appealing, home prices are lower, there is a downtown music scene...but I keep reading about gangs and kkk. What's your opinion of the area?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniExplorers View Post
Ok, friends. What about Spokane? Visually it looks appealing, home prices are lower, there is a downtown music scene...but I keep reading about gangs and kkk. What's your opinion of the area?
It's not anywhere near tall mountains. When you visit Spokane, you'll quickly realize that all the mountains they show in the background of promotional pictures are just big hills the photographer enlarged utilizing a telephoto lens.

Politically, that part of Washington is the 'conservative half,' so regional politics are dominated by the right. Spokane has also had some problems recently with crime (and you mention the KKK, but as far as I recall, the most major recent crime that made national news out of Spokane was black-on-white rather than the reverse - a WWII veteran was gunned down while exiting a super market if memory serves), though I wouldn't say they're all that much worse than similar cities of that size. In terms of culture, it's also a very different bird - modest sized museums; minor league teams; smaller shows. It's closest analogous city is probably Boise.

The weather is also far different from Seattle - much less moisture, colder winters, hotter summers. It's similar to what you might expect in the far northern Great Plains. It's the de facto capital of Washington's farming interior, so you'll see a lot of gently-rolling hills of golden wheat during the summer months, reduced to brown desolation in the winters. However, a lot of western Washingtonians move east to Spokane at retirement age in order to flee the damp west of the mountains. But, for my money, I guess I'd take lots of rain and no snow over long, cold, dry winters.

Really, it just depends on what you want. But if your goal is to experience that kind of 'hippy-dippy, idealized liberalism' that the Pacific Northwest is famous for, or the rain, or the ocean, or the volcanoes, or most of the other things that the state is actually known for, Spokane is going to miss the mark. It's very, very different. I can't say I'd recommend it because I wouldn't move there myself.

Last edited by PrincessoftheCape; 12-08-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area