Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
It's more like 2 and a half people, in terms of costs and expenses. Children don't use up as much income as adults. They don't have rent, car payments, utilities. In fact, most of that is covered from the "head" of the household. So you could almost narrow it down further.
You don't have kids yet, do you?

Children use lights, they live in the home (rent), they ride in the car, they eat food... they do all of these things and yet DON'T contribute to household income. In addition they need to be cared for when mom and/or dad need to work or be out of the house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You don't have kids yet, do you?

Children use lights, they live in the home (rent), they ride in the car, they eat food... they do all of these things and yet DON'T contribute to household income. In addition they need to be cared for when mom and/or dad need to work or be out of the house...
When my youngest moved out the water bill went down by $60/month (long showers). Once they hit 14 boys eat a lot. Every activity costs money, even public school sports and youth soccer can cost hundreds. Child care/preschool is running $1,500-2,000/month.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:07 PM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
Cubey in fact children cost a lot of money....ski lessons, music lessons, clothing, shoes, gear, medical expenses, the dentist, braces, summer camps, after school activities, birthdays, travel, and the list goes on and on. Children may not have car payments or mortgages but they have plenty of other expenses that adults actually don't have and the last time I checked their airline tickets cost the same as the grownups. Each family does what feels right to them but most families I know with 2 plus children have them involved in quite a few activities and spend a lot of their money on said children including airfare a couple of times a year.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
It's more like 2 and a half people, in terms of costs and expenses. Children don't use up as much income as adults. They don't have rent, car payments, utilities. In fact, most of that is covered from the "head" of the household. So you could almost narrow it down further.
Clearly spoken by someone who doesn't have kids. Seattle is a very expensive city to raise children in, it accounts for one of the reason why Seattle is #2 major city to have the least amount of kids around (following SF).

Not to mention, your thinking is flawed... "Covered from the 'head' of the household".... What, does the head of the household have some magical stash of cash not derived from earned income?

This article would give you a better idea of how much one would have to spend in different brackets and what the general expenses are (keep in mind, these are for "normal" kids, sickly or special needs require more): The cost of raising a child born in 2012: $250,000 (or more) | KDVR.com

Old 12-10-2013, 01:45 AM

7 posts, read 16,295 times
My god, no wonder kids are so messed up these days.. some people really put THAT MUCH pressure on them activity wise?!?!

Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
My god, no wonder kids are so messed up these days.. some people really put THAT MUCH pressure on them activity wise?!?!
People are often surprised by the goals well educated, affluent people set for their kids, hoping for them to be more successful than they are as adults. Sports and other activities are probably more from peer pressure. We never forced ours but they all wanted to do soccer, basketball, baseball or softball and tennis. The girls did dance classes, the boy did scouts. All that does cost money but keeps them out of trouble and is good exercise, besides learning teamwork.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:55 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:
Most (of the relative affluent) actually do, but some don't. Generally speaking, I don't think it's these kids that are so messed up. For the most part I truly believe that "you get what you pay for" or 'you get your money's worth" or "you get what you put into it" (or pick your favorite relevant cliche/adage).

At the moment I limit my kids to two extracurricular activities each. They both swim at the city pool. One has gymnastics and the other does a game design class taught by his dad. Time wise, they could easily take on more, but I limit it because of costs and environmental impact (I really don't need to be driving everyday, especially for their activities). I think it's fine for my lower-preforming special needs kid, but I do wonder if I shouldn't be doing more for my neuro-typical child. On the other hand, I firmly believe they will encounter more scarcity in their lives than we have and I don't want to set up false expectations. Of all things that worries me most about contemporary parenting.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
I love when people think kids cost about as much as medium-sized dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area