Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:29 AM

603 posts, read 877,422 times

Advertisements

Where you live will depend on where your job is located. Most Seattle neighborhoods feel a bit congested and hipster-ish, but have many conveniences within walking distance or a short drive.

The Eastside suburbs are where you'll find more traditional homes with front and back yards, more established families, and more of the Microsoft crowd (lots of Indians, Chinese, Koreans, etc.).

The southern suburbs (Renton, Kent area) are more working-class, a little lower in income than the East-side, and less safe. There is a greater hispanic, asian, and black community there. It's still not a bad region depending on where you choose to settle. One think you'll find is that metro Seattle is so tiny that people regularly travel from one suburb to another. People living in the Eastside suburbs head to the southern suburbs all the time, and vice-versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:33 AM

305 posts, read 450,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyDee View Post
Considering relocating to Washington State early 2014 (earliest May/latest August). Currently residing in Long Beach, CA since May 2003.

I'm a 54 year old single African American female. I'm a veteran with an Administration background currently employed but my program term will be ending March of 2014 - so with knowing that, I have embraced that it may be best to move on to new adventures.

While I have no problem with heading out to the park for a picnic lunch solo, I do enjoy activities and entertainment with a diverse group of down to earth people. I would prefer quaint neighborhoods safe to walk my little man-pooch. Enjoy the local cafe vibe - variety of entertainment without having to travel a great distance (all major entertainment happenings are in Los Angeles and you would typically plan on heading to the area at minimum 2-hours prior to the event although LA is about 30-minutes away - the joys of traffic).

Not concerned with the climate - lived in Springfield, MA so I know cold (smile) and I don't feel that the rain would be a challenge for me, yet, the rain is the first thing individuals mention to me when I express my interest in Washington.

Would you be so kind to provide helpful advice regarding the things that I should consider when looking at cities and/or counties to reside in.

Thanks to those who respond...I greatly appreciate it!
Do yourself a favor and visit for a while before making such a big decision. Too many people make the decision based on forums like these and end up being miserable there. I can tell you that outside of a handful of neighborhoods in Seattle, most of it feels more like Springfield MA than LA.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:19 PM

157 posts, read 301,919 times
How much do you like seeing the sun during the winter? Do you prefer cloudy days?

Completely serious questions to ask yourself. Not being snarky.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 PM

45 posts, read 90,527 times
You may not be concerned about the climate now, but you will be. Knowing the cold is one thing, and knowing about 8 consecutive months of gray, dreary weather (with a handful of token partly cloudy days mixed in) is an entirely different thing. If you enjoy light and sunshine, you won't do well here. It's not so much the drizzle and cold that's unbearable, it's the depressing, gray skies. The worst are the days when it's one solid tone of gray, no interesting clouds or different shades of gray, just a plain gray sky.

I moved here from so cal 10 years ago, and every year from nov to June, I miss CA so much. I'm on the Eastside because we have small kids and it's a good place to raise a family. If you're single, you'll be bored to tears here. If I were single, I'd want to live in the city.

We've tried to move back to CA a couple times but it didn't work out because we were worried about the financial hit we'd take moving to a higher cost of living area. We no longer care about that and are going to make 2014 the year we move back to CA.

Also, some people find it difficult to make friends here who actually want to hang out. We have what's called the "Seattle freeze." Google it and you'll see what I mean. It is very real.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,761 times
Happy New Year Everyone!

Well, I would be foolish to make such an important decision solely based on comments on a forum - however, I feel that the feedback could get me thinking about aspects of an area that I may not have considered. People that I have spoken to here have been nay-sayers being told that I will have a difficult time due to the racial environment and the weather. I try to live a hopeful life with the understanding that no matter where one goes there will be cultural differences and/or challenges with some areas worse than others (I grew up in the South and witnessed the climate first hand). That being said, I don't want to live my life standing in fear because I choose to believe that there are wonderful opened minded people but there is nothing more telling than feedback from individuals in the area and you take things with a grain of salt while moving forward in life. The sunshine is here in Cali and I certainly may be challenged by the clouds and the different shades of gray but for me, days like that makes me want to pull out my yummy blanket, put on a good movie or listen to some sweet tunes and just chill-the-freak-out!

Tackling the job search now and once the job situation is taken care of then I can focus in on areas and may be rethink traveling for entertainment (a little give and take where I can). Heck, I'm even considering looking for work overseas Japan or Italy maybe.

I am considering taking a trip to check out some areas if I have the time...biting nails, March/April is right around the corner and the powers to be have not given word on the program status (take that as I better ramp up the job search for sure ).

Always appreciative of honesty and thankful to everyone who has taken time out of their schedule to provide info (both positive and negative) to me.

Peace and Blessings - Let's Rock 2014!

Old 04-17-2014, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 1,322 times
Smile Long beach bound

Hello! I will be relocating to socal from Seattle mid June this year for a job in Long Beach. I'm a single parent with 2 kids. A 10 yr old and 2 yr old. I'm looking to live in a great school district and of course safe and affordable area. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibound2014 View Post
Hello! I will be relocating to socal from Seattle mid June this year for a job in Long Beach. I'm a single parent with 2 kids. A 10 yr old and 2 yr old. I'm looking to live in a great school district and of course safe and affordable area. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Uh ... shouldn't you be posting this on the California (Los Angeles) forum???

Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM

24 posts, read 25,861 times
MissyDee...could we get an update on any visit(s) you may have made to the Seattle area and your thoughts? I'm sure there are quite a few of us who would love to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area