Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
A permanent system will solidify who gets services and who doesn't.
Exactly. Capriciously changing which areas have service doesn't promote stability. Why build buildings meant to last 50+ years when the transportation infrastructure might leave after 5? Why develop around fixed corridors when you can just lobby for a new corridor and take the transportation away from an older one? I can guarantee that once an existing corridor is 'built out' developers will start on a new one with the goal of enticing people away from the 'old' areas. Works well for the developers, not so much for the people who own property and/or live in the areas the developers are done profiting from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:27 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Exactly. Capriciously changing which areas have service doesn't promote stability. Why build buildings meant to last 50+ years when the transportation infrastructure might leave after 5? Why develop around fixed corridors when you can just lobby for a new corridor and take the transportation away from an older one? I can guarantee that once an existing corridor is 'built out' developers will start on a new one with the goal of enticing people away from the 'old' areas. Works well for the developers, not so much for the people who own property and/or live in the areas the developers are done profiting from.
So the problem is with developers/master planning and not with transportation? Or both?

Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
So the problem is with developers/master planning and not with transportation? Or both?
It's both. The developers have little incentive to take on master plans. Their job is done once the buildings are built. The developers have a financial incentive towards early obsolescence. The sooner they can sell new properties the better. If that comes at the expense of established neighborhoods, that's not their problem.

The developer interests don't support fixed transportation corridors unless they happen to be the ones to do the building when it goes in. They're not particularly concerned with the future viability of a property/area the way the city, owners and residents are. That's where transportation planning comes in.

Fixed corridors focus development interest on areas with a long term plan, not just "what can we build an sell within the next 36 months".

Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 767 times
I can't wait for Lyft and Uber to corner the market and wipe out the taxi industry and any other form of transportation that is relatively affordable. Then jack up the price on everyone that says "let the free market decide" and continues to shout down the Taxi drivers that are just trying to make a living. You'll be faced with no choice then, you'll have to pay Lyft and Uber overinflated prices because there's no other competition to them, no more taxi's. Cities won't get tax funds from the Taxi industry anymore, money that goes towards paying for the fixing of roads and other vehicle related costs that the city incurs. I wonder where the city will find the money that they'll lose from the taxi industry? Oh, I know, by raising the taxes on other things in the city that Uber and Lyft lovers need/want. Live it up now, you'll starve tomorrow.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havefunwiththat View Post
I can't wait for Lyft and Uber to corner the market and wipe out the taxi industry and any other form of transportation that is relatively affordable.
These services are also affecting the bus ridership, as are Car2Go and Zipcar, but not to the extent they are affecting cabs. I really don't expect Lyft and Uber to "corner the market" here, the City has always been very much involved in regulation of cabs and is not about to let these services take over. More likely Lyft and Uber will go away or be greatly reduced when are forced to charge at least as much as the cabs.
Their only advantage at that point will be their superior customer service.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havefunwiththat View Post
I can't wait for Lyft and Uber to corner the market and wipe out the taxi industry and any other form of transportation that is relatively affordable. Then jack up the price on everyone that says "let the free market decide" and continues to shout down the Taxi drivers that are just trying to make a living. You'll be faced with no choice then, you'll have to pay Lyft and Uber overinflated prices because there's no other competition to them, no more taxi's. Cities won't get tax funds from the Taxi industry anymore, money that goes towards paying for the fixing of roads and other vehicle related costs that the city incurs. I wonder where the city will find the money that they'll lose from the taxi industry? Oh, I know, by raising the taxes on other things in the city that Uber and Lyft lovers need/want. Live it up now, you'll starve tomorrow.
It's refreshing to hear an illogical and highly speculative take on this issue! Thanks.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:13 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It's refreshing to hear an illogical and highly speculative take on this issue! Thanks.
Hey now. That very educational post taught me that having more firms in the market leads to less competition and higher prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area