Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

I've only been in Seattle about 11 months so I don't know what a normal winter is. It seems like this has been a very dry year so far? We got very little rain in Oct., Nov and so far in Dec. The Snoqualmie ski area is not open yet and it is Dec 21st. Is this abnormal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have been here 20 years and find this to have been unusually dry, but it's happened several years before. usually we catch up later. This little local snow event yesterday is about normal, 2-3 times a year, though none last year. For the pass, the late opening happens probably 1/4 of the time, but they sometimes stay open until May with most of the snow coming later, in February-March. Most often Snoqualmie opens around Thanksgiving.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:32 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
It's been really unusual. September we usually get almost no rain. This past September was one of the wettest on record, then October and November were much drier than usual, and November is typically our wettest month. December so far has also been much drier. So it'll probably snow in July.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's been really unusual. September we usually get almost no rain. This past September was one of the wettest on record, then October and November were much drier than usual, and November is typically our wettest month. December so far has also been much drier. So it'll probably snow in July.
Remember that one. If it snows next July I'll buy you a beer, Ira.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:01 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I usually don't turn the heat off completely until June anyway... what's a couple more weeks?

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
I usually don't turn the heat off completely until June anyway... what's a couple more weeks?
The point is that 2013 is on track to be THE DRIEST and SUNNIEST year in the recorded history of West Coast in general, Seattle, Portland and all of PNW in particular.
The first 10 months of 2013 have also been the driest in California recorded history going back to 1895
California's Record Driest Year? - weather.com
Same thing for almost all other West Coast places.

It has very important implication for PNW hydro-power and agriculture, but that's nothing.
If this becomes a norm, it has the potential to make much of US West, including CA, AZ, NV and NM uninhabitable in the foreseeable future.All those places became settled in the 19th century - the wettest century in the last 2000 years (based on tree-rings measurements). If the annual rainfall decreases to third or quarter of what it's been recently, the life in the West as we know it will end.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
The point is that 2013 is on track to be THE DRIEST and SUNNIEST year in the recorded history of West Coast in general, Seattle, Portland and all of PNW in particular.
The first 10 months of 2013 have also been the driest in California recorded history going back to 1895
[URL="http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/california-record-driest-year-20131115"]California's Record Driest Year? - weather.com[/URL]

It has very important implication for PNW hydro-power and agriculture, but that's nothing.
If this becomes a norm, it has the potential to make much of US West, including CA, AZ, NV and NM uninhabitable in the foreseeable future.All those places became settled in the 19th century - the wettest century in the last 2000 years (based on tree-rings measurements). If the annual rainfall decreases to third or quarter of what it's been recently, the life in the West as we know it will end.
I was just trying for playful banter with some of the "regulars" here. Yes, I get the point. Go through my posts (actually, there are too many.. so don't) and you'll quickly see where I'm at on the climate change concept.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM

644 posts, read 1,187,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
California's Record Driest Year? - weather.com

According to the NWS archives, the weather station at SeaTac has a rainfall deficit of 7.4" since October 1, so recorded rainfall is a little under half what it should be. But the yearly deficit is only 3.9". Fluctuations like that are perfectly normal. As for sun, that's a bit harder to figure out. I've found the NWS ratings for cloud cover, but I'm not sure exactly how that's converted to sunshine hours, which is normally how that statistic is reported.

In any case, I don't think we need to start panicking about a permanently dry PNW. Climate data shows that Seattle is getting wetter on average. Some regions in the West have reasons to be concerned (* ahem * the Colorado River basin), but the Northwest probably doesn't have to worry too much.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM

People tell me I pay too much attention to the weather but I monitor temperature and rainfall to help maintain some 100 bonsai trees that I have,
as old as 145 years.

In September we had a record of over 6", normal is 1.5 - October and November ran about 3", normal would be about 9, so for the 3 months we are about 1.5" low. The rest of the year averaged normal. This month will make a big difference, we should get 5" and so far we are at about 25% of that. It is raining now, so that's good. We may end up a little low for the 2013 year, but when it comes to hydro power and aquifers/lakes filling up the snowfall in January and February makes the biggest difference. The Snoqualmie Pass has gotten 1-11" in the last 24 hours, hopefully it keeps up.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:57 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times
Unless we get some big storms in the next week (and cold enough weather), The Summit at Snoqualmie ski resort probably won't open until 2014. How often does that happen? They only have a 9" base of snow right now. They must lose a lot of money to not be open during xmas break with all the kids off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area