Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:15 AM

413 posts, read 789,519 times

Advertisements

I would never have believed this: Census surprise: Seattle the most affordable big city for renters | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

Is anyone else somewhat horrified that 46% of renters being cost-burdened (paying 30% + of their income in rent) is the lowest percentage for any major city in America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Not at all, because what it means (and says in the article) is that we have a low percentage of poor people. In places like Detroit people pay a lot more of their income for rent despite much lower rent because they have so little income. It's a good thing for Seattle to have less poor people renting. Of course, we do have plenty of homeless but they are not counted in this study since they pay no rent.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:53 PM

300 posts, read 414,112 times
That is correct comparing to the price of real estate in Seattle. In Austin, Texas, you can buy a $200k house and lease it for$1,600 a month. In Seattle, you might need to pay $300k for a house and lease it for $1,600 a month. Unless you are going to stay in Seattle for a long time, it is better off to lease than to buy at current rental rate. In many other cities in the country, a mortgage payment could be lower than rental payment, but, this is not the case in Seattle.
I have looked for an investment property in Seattle, but at current housing price, there is no positive cash flow to invest real estate at Seattle.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:30 AM

413 posts, read 789,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not at all, because what it means (and says in the article) is that we have a low percentage of poor people. In places like Detroit people pay a lot more of their income for rent despite much lower rent because they have so little income. It's a good thing for Seattle to have less poor people renting. Of course, we do have plenty of homeless but they are not counted in this study since they pay no rent.
Sure, I completely understand that, and I agree. My concern is that if 46% is the smallest percentage of renters in any major city in the US paying 30%+ of their income on rent, that sounds like an indicator of a nationwide income crisis to me.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
Sure, I completely understand that, and I agree. My concern is that if 46% is the smallest percentage of renters in any major city in the US paying 30%+ of their income on rent, that sounds like an indicator of a nationwide income crisis to me.
Yup. If rents in Seattle are a relative bargain compared to mortgages, and 46% of the renters are spending a too high percentage of their income on rent, what is that really saying?
It's pretty misleading, if you just read the headline. Let's say you're a gardener living in Tulsa, and read the headline that Seattle is the most affordable major city for renters. How would Tulsa renter fare in Seattle?
In Tulsa, gardeners can afford to buy houses, and because house prices are so relatively low, middle class folks can and do buy houses. And you don't save money by renting, as mortgages are similar to rents.
In Seattle(the city itself), not only would a gardener not be able to afford to buy a house, but would have trouble finding an affordable rental.
It is true that there are far more people who consider themselves middle class than actually are. But the growing income disparity everywhere is pretty striking. I love that as a result of Seattle's income and education levels, there are now great places to eat and things to do. But I don't like the fact that many of the types of people who used to be able to afford to live here no longer can, and that poorer people are shunned and thought of as criminal. Rant over.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Hard to believe. I know a number of people who've been forced out of Seattle by rents, and had to go to the northern suburbs.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:36 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,532 times
Weird, but sort of makes sense. I mean, I make more here than I did in Houston but my rent is actually cheaper in Seattle - I'm in an older building with about 150 sq ft. less space though. However, the location is light years better than the place I had in Houston and that is the icing on the cake! I probably could have bought something in Houston versus here, but why would I have wanted to do that!

Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But I don't like the fact that many of the types of people who used to be able to afford to live here no longer can, and that poorer people are shunned and thought of as criminal. Rant over.
Since the homeless camp moved to Sammamish, I see and talk to several of them on the bus coming home from work. These are people that look, dress, and work like the rest of us, but can't afford housing. Not like those you see under the overpass or downtown in Seattle. They even wear ID badges from their employers like everyone else on the bus. Most are saving up for the first/last months rent.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:20 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Knowing that Seattle has one of the highest costs of living in the nation, I actually don't feel bad for renters in other populous cities. If you pay 10% more of your income on rent but 20% less on everything else you still come out way ahead.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:55 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
No, not really that hard to believe. Seattle is affluent and relatively inexpensive. Again, that's because I'm used to California's real estate prices and rents. Trendy downtown high rise averaging $2,000 a month? Those are $4,000 in San Francisco. A crappy studio is $2,000. San Francisco isn't that much more affluent than Seattle is but the rents are way lower.

As for the 30% thing, no. That's just some threshold a bureaucrat pulled out of a hat last century. It's not really relevant. For example, at one time we spent a huge percentage of our incomes simply on food and clothing. Those are much lower. Naturally, that leaves more money for other things -- mostly housing and medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area