Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
Just wanted to clear up something about the Florida Gulf Coast. We do NOT have brown murky water. I think you are thinking of the east coast of Florida. The water is on most days clear and blue. (Not Key West clear and blue, but still pretty)
I wasn't talking about Florida, I was talking about the coast water between Houston and Biloxi which I have seen and is indeed brown and murky, especially further east toward Biloxi, Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:27 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,693 times
I nominate Las Vegas. The SW part is relatively safe and nice. It gets lots of sun, you don't mind hot, there are tons of 5-6 hour road trips possible from there (San Diego, beaches, Disneyland, Zion national park, the Grand Canyon etc. etc.), winters are mild, it's a tourist destination, it has a major airport with flights to almost anywhere, no state income taxes. You're there for only 2 years so your infant child won't be corrupted. For $950 a month you can get a very nice 2 bedroom condo in a gated place with a pool. For $1050 you can get a decent house.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Whitman View Post
What could be the reasonably priced areas in the CA where I will not have to spend $2000 for a 2 BR?
Sacramento and surrounding areas. You can get a 2bed for around $800-900, or a house around $1300 depending on the location.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 AM

145 posts, read 265,034 times
Louisville, KY!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Whitman View Post
Thanks guys for taking time to respond.

I see what you are saying. What could be the reasonably priced areas in the CA where I will not have to spend $2000 for a 2 BR?
This question would be better answered in the California forum or its subforums, but a few possibilities in your price range are Long Beach, Fullerton, Buena Park, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, and Corona. Two of the most important factors in housing prices in Southern California are proximity to work and quality of schools. Since neither of those matter to you, you can skip right to the safety question.

The Southeast would be much cheaper and would give you a completely different experience - whether pleasant or not, I don't know.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times
You will get sick of California, the people, traffic, smog, crime, high cost of living.. California use to be paradise, but now it is paradise lost.. I hope you don't mind giving all your income away to the bankrupted California state government. About 11% state income tax coupled with the highest sales tax (like 9-10%) in the country.

Seriously, I have thought many times would would be the best place in the country for me to live, where there is mountains, water, temperate climates and sunshine, friendly people, low-moderate cost of living and no restrictions on my freedom. This place just doesn't exist in the USA. California wins for weather, Washington and most of the Northwest win for scenery and personal freedoms, Florida wins for beaches, the Northeast wins for cultural activities, entertainment and diversity and the South wins for friendly folk. However, each place has their flaw.

If I had my choice of a place to live, I think I would choose to live in Southern Italy. It has great weather, nice mountains, beautiful beaches, friendly people , great food, music, etc. But , that is a different country.

I guess if you want to try a place with great weather and a more moderate cost of living, you may consider the US Virgin Islands, Florida Keys (the Island chain off of FLorida), Big Island Hawaii, Southern Appalachia (Highland North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee).

Florida and Texas have brutal weather, be warned.. It will get very old quick and its very hot and swampy.

Another idea for a more moderate temperature that may still be cheaper to live than Seattle, would be the North Carolina Smokey mountain area. Perhaps, a place like Asheville, North Carolina. It's high in elevation so it doesn't get the brutal heat they get in the lowlands. ALthough, winters can get cold, but they don't last as long.

As far as beauty is concerned, I would have a hard time finding a place in the USA as beautiful as Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana or Wyoming. Northern California is beautiful, but you are still stuck in California.

You may also consider Redding, CA if you want to live in a place with Washington like scenery, but have warmer winters. Redding is near Mount Shasta, which is an awesome sight to behold. Redding is much more affordable than any of the other places listed.. Forget about living in pits like Lancaster or other dusty, fiercely hot and ugly deserted areas in Southern California. There is a reason nobody wants to live there.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 12-26-2013 at 11:27 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
Phoenix metro. Has all but no beach as it's five hours away via car.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:58 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Austin, Texas. Supposedly it's a great place and a bit cheaper than Seattle. It meets all of your criteria, but will provide a different experience than the PNW before you leave the country.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
New Mexico or El Paso. Tons of sun, very mild winters, dry heat in the summer. Big wide open skies and amazing sunsets -- but you would have to be able to forego the water and beaches.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:08 AM

578 posts, read 1,294,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
You will get sick of California, the people, traffic, smog, crime, high cost of living.. California use to be paradise, but now it is paradise lost.. I hope you don't mind giving all your income away to the bankrupted California state government. About 11% state income tax coupled with the highest sales tax (like 9-10%) in the country.

As far as beauty is concerned, I would have a hard time finding a place in the USA as beautiful as Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana or Wyoming. Northern California is beautiful, but you are still stuck in California.

You may also consider Redding, CA if you want to live in a place with Washington like scenery, but have warmer winters. Redding is near Mount Shasta, which is an awesome sight to behold. Redding is much more affordable than any of the other places listed.. Forget about living in pits like Lancaster or other dusty, fiercely hot and ugly deserted areas in Southern California. There is a reason nobody wants to live there.
I'm not going to suggest one way or another, but as someone who LIVES in California:
- The state is doing much better financially
- Not all areas are smog/crime-ridden/high traffic/high COL
- Redding? Really? High-crime, low-employment, not much to do out there Redding? There's a reason Redding is so small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area