Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 05:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times

Advertisements

Hey all, been busy trying to improve myself and get our more and not let the hard and at times, real upsetting social scene in Seattle get me down. Trying to just force myself out of my new apt and get out and about and see all the great things that Emerald City has to offer, which is one of the many reasons I cam here and I left Montana *see previous posts*

Anyway, it sure has been different not having the biting cold I'm used to having in Montana *other then your cold spell 3 weeks ago* The fact that there still is so much green and living foliage around the city is really, in a way "enchanting" as I'm used to basically everything other then pine tree's in Montana being completely dead and a brown landscape when we don't have snow to cover it up, which is most of the time due to unusual weather patterns the last 30 years.

In any case, the 30-40 degree weather is rather balmy and comfortable to me so being able to go outside with or without direct sunlight has been a very nice change from my frigid years in the Big Sky. There are been some nice sunny and crisp temperature days and its still never enjoyable to go walk around the UW campus and still see much green all over, I like it!

Recently wanted to get a taste of the Christmas style of Seattle and boy, i'm liking it! In an effort to not let the upsetting and flaky people I keep trying to make friends with occupy all my time, I've been doing exploring myself to keep busy. I tried out one of your Christmas Ship cruises at the docks and it was totally awesome! I've always been a bit of boat nut since I was a kid, so being able to go on a nice boat on the water and then have a party with the Dickens Carolers was awesome! Seattle is so freaking pretty at night across the sound, and the christmas songs playing across the water from our bot and people dancing and laughing on deck was so awesome, along with the lit up boats that followed us! I had a big grin on my face the whole time, despite it being nearly 0 degree's on the water with that wind!

I went to go see Hobbit the other weekend and I was so thrilled to see such a warm and happy Christmas spirit in downtown Seattle! Everything was so lit up near the central area of Pike and Pine, all the stores were lit up with lights, the tree's along the sidewalks, seeing all the people shopping around with christmas music playing everywhere, seeing the Duck boats decked out with christmas attair was a riot and then seeing the really pretty christmas tree in the central area was just icing on the cake!

It was like some kinda Christmas scene i've seen in the movies like in New York, I was just so happy to be hear once again after having a hard time the last few weeks making friends and getting into the dating scene. I really needed that new "shot of hope" I got from going around my new city on Christmas time, it was great and such a site! I was so happy I actually went around and asked people if they wanted me to take pictures for them in front of the tree and a lot of people were really glad and thankful! And unlike Montana, it was so nice that it was rather warm for Seattle at night, so it made being outside enjoyable unlike Montana at this time of year!

Glad to be here Seattle, my first Christmas here has been really special and gives me new hope I can make a new life with new people in the new year! Happy Holidays fellow Seattlelites!

Oh, and its funny as hell as a Montanan watching an entire city go into lockdown/batshiat crazy mode for this amount of snow last week. Seriously?

Last edited by AT-AT28; 12-24-2013 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM

115 posts, read 227,738 times
lovely pics! Glad you are still loving it...I'm hoping to up there soon as well

Old 12-24-2013, 01:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
I'm so glad you took took the Christmas Ships cruise. It is such a romantic way to see Seattle at Christmas and I don't know of another city in the US that does it. Even though we've been on it many times, we still go every year or two. Since you enjoyed downtown Seattle, another thing, though not sure it will happen after yesterday, is around 7:00 p.m. at Bellevue Square, they do a Drummer Boy type performance on the street below with fake snow falling and it goes maybe 20 minutes or more with drummers dressed in costumes, etc. and it's pretty great.

I'm sorry about the social scene, especially at this time of year. You came to Seattle not knowing anyone and that has to be the biggest challenge of all. Keep at it, join anything that interests you and hopefully by next Christmas you'll have a busy calendar. I think everyone here is wishing the best for you and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:13 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Glad you are still loving it here! Alot of people would give up once something doesn't go their way. As a native to the Seattle area i've learned don't be afraid to but into conversations with people if you're in a public setting. I've sparked some awesome conversations by doing that. Things will get better as long as you keep trying. Some people just make friends slower then others I guess. Anyways take advantage of all the opportunities this time of year! Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 PM

305 posts, read 450,060 times
In the words of Robin Williams:

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, and it’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people that
make you feel all alone."

Merry Christmas buddy. Hope you can find true happiness in Seattle, and if not, realize there are greener pastures out there.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Love those pictures! The snow! You better take a picture of it because it disappears so quickly, sometimes like the sun. I always get amused every year when we get this dusting of snow, and every newscast talks about "Stormwatch" or the "Snowcastrophe", or whatever.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times
I hope you make many friends in the new year!
And just wait until we have a "snowmageddon" ... like, maybe, 4 to 6" of snow, things will REALLY get crazy!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Those are great pictures! What you'll learn over time is that Seattle is very family-oriented. There are tons of fun activities for families to do, and people are comfortable just sticking around families for the most part. To make friends with Seattle people that are not transplants, you'll need to put in the effort and be patient. Give it time and the relationships will come, and when they come they will stay and you'll be rewarded. Seattle is a great city. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2013, 09:36 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Thanks for sharing the pics. Cracks me up that such a little bit of snow can shut things down. I'm in Utah right now, planning to relocate to Seattle in 2014, and I have at least 3 feet of snow in my yard. I will be very happy to move away from this much snow. Good luck with establishing some new friendships! Have you thought about trying to join some meetup groups?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:03 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times
I've already been to several meetup events with varying degrees of success
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area