Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 13,198 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I would like to ask a few questions of you folks that live in this area. I am contemplating moving from Florida to work at SEA-TAC airport. I have never been to Puyallup just Seattle once, so please forgive my ignorance. I was looking at some affordable areas to live south of Seattle and I stumbled across Puyallup. From what I read and looked at on Google maps it looks like a nice area. The main question I have is about traffic. It looks like alot of the apartment complexes are along Meridian Ave. Several different posts I have read around the web told me to beware of Meridian Ave due to it's horrid traffic. Is the worst areas for traffic south on Meridian, say south of Pioneer Ave or is it closer to the Mall? If you live in Puyallup north of Pioneer on Meridian are you not as affected by traffic except for when you make an occasional mall trip? On Yahoo map directions it shows a route taking me North to Sea-Tac on 167, then 516 and finally 99 to reach the airport. it shows a distance of 21 miles and a travel time of 29 minutes. Is this travel time at all realistic for a Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm type of work schedule. Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 01:39 PM

255 posts, read 660,473 times
IMO a more realistic commute time for those hours from Puyallup to Sea-Tac is going to be 45-60 min. 167 Is horrible during rush hour.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:41 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
There are tons of inexpensive areas to live much closer to the airport, and many of them are just as nice as Puyallup. The only advantage I could see to Puyallup is there are newer homes available for sale dirt cheap compared to most areas. Renting? can't think of any reason to pick there over dozens of more convenient locations.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:50 PM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
I live in Puyallup and the traffic sucks. Period. Living south of Pioneer Ave there is more congestion for sure. Getting to north of Pioneer accounts for about 20-25 mins of my 45-60 minute commute to Tukwila during morning and afternoon rush hour. I work in schools in the Federal Way and Tukwila areas and do a lot of driving around those areas for my job. My DH and I have actually discussed moving to northern Puyallup just because it could save us time during our commutes. Also, I don't take 167 to commute. It might as well be a parking lot during rush hour. It's just not worth my sanity quite frankly. I take secondary roads to I-5 and head that way. Morning's are easier since it seems to be more variable for timing, but afternoons are pretty reliably long. I got stuck on 167 two weeks ago coming south from Renton to Puyallup. I left Renton right near 405/167 at 3:45pm and I didn't get to my house until 5:30pm. On a map it's not that far but the congestion and traffic just add to it. I don't know your situation (spouse, kids, etc) but if all your looking for is an apartment, then you would be better to look more north if you are going to be working in the Seatac area. Federal Way would probably fit your bill just fine. We really do like the Puyallup area since we have kids, and a dog and have a small yard and can get waaaay more house for our money. But the commute sucks. Can't sugarcoat that at all.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,198 times
Default Puyallup Traffic Patterns.

Thank you to all for taking the time to reply to my questions. I will be looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment, condo, or house. Prefer apartment complexes over high rise apartment buildings. Just me and my wife now (Empty Nesters). I have looked at many places on the web using apartment search sites and google maps. I have read alot of nice reviews of Puyallup, University Place and Steilacoom. University Place and Steilacoom look great but not sure about the commute time on those two places to Sea-Tac. If anyone could shed some light on that I would appreciate it. Thank you for clearing up the traffic situation and the commute time to Sea-Tac from Puyallup. Last time while in Seattle I did check out apartments in West Seattle and Renton but found them to be mostly over my budget of $1300.00 monthly. Was told by many locals to stay away from Federal Way due to aircraft noise from Sea-Tac. It seemed that all the aircraft follow a path when landing from the south to just west of and parallel to I-5. Kent and Auburn seemed to get a bad rap crime wise, don't know if that is truly the case or not. Did find some condo's in Bonney Lake and Sumner but I guess I would be still be battling Puyallup traffic when heading to points west. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM

255 posts, read 660,473 times
I live in Federal Way, near Dash Point St Park, and honestly I rarely ever hear airplanes overhead. Not anymore than I have anywhere else I have lived. Being near I5, I could see there being more overhead plane traffic, as everytime I have flown into seatac from the south, we have basically been right above I5 on approach.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,804 times
Get ready for a commute from hell, I don't envy people in that spot, I pay more outa pocket and stay within the city but keep my sanity and driving my car into the ground

Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDH35 View Post
My DH and I have actually discussed moving to northern Puyallup just because it could save us time during our commutes.
What is a DH - a designated hitter?

Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
Yes...He could be designated that...

Though, I also call him my husband.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:16 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,804 times
Who calls there husband a "DH"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area