Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 03:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,380 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at condo listings on the internet in several Seattle neighborhoods and notice in many of the photos there are above ground utilities. Is this pretty much the norm in the Seattle area? I just think the wires and poles are ... well ... pretty ugly but I guess since it doesn't get a lot of snow there with the risk of tree branches taking down utilities lines its not a big deal other than aesthetics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Compared to the east Seattle is relatively new, but it is still pretty old, with many of the neighborhoods having 100+ year old homes. if you go to newer neighborhoods on the eastside most utilities are underground, even ours in Sammamish built in 1978. We still have power outages from wind because the main lines coming up to the plateau are above ground. The snow is not nearly as much of a problem as the 2-3 big windstorms we get every year but it's mainly the trees breaking and taking out power lines. Most of Seattle doesn't have the big old firs, maples and cedars like much of the outlying areas. The ugliest areas are near downtown where there are not only power/phone lines but also the electric bus overhead cables. Just part of a major city.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
I'm not sure, but I don't think there any parts of Seattle proper where the utilities are underground.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,380 times
I guess I've been spoiled living in suburbia with buried utilities. But its something I'll give up to get back into an urban environment.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:25 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think there any parts of Seattle proper where the utilities are underground.
I believe those in much of Mount Baker are (underground that is) ...

Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
With the exception of a few planned neighborhoods, no.

But I'll say it's one of the things that separates Blue Ridge from the 'ghettos of North Beach' - their utilities are underground.

Above ground wires blocking your view of the sound/mountains are just something you have to put up with unless you're upper middle class.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
Seattle City Light | Information for Neighborhood Underground Conversion Projects

I wonder if any neighborhoods/owners have taken up Seattle City Light's offer to install underground utilities if the requestor pays for it?

I agree with the above observations that above-ground wires are the norm, not the exception, in Seattle proper, which does have a lot of old neighborhoods. And yeah, the lines are ugly, especially if you are coming from somewhere else and are not used to them.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Seattle City Light | Information for Neighborhood Underground Conversion Projects

I wonder if any neighborhoods/owners have taken up Seattle City Light's offer to install underground utilities if the requestor pays for it?

I agree with the above observations that above-ground wires are the norm, not the exception, in Seattle proper, which does have a lot of old neighborhoods. And yeah, the lines are ugly, especially if you are coming from somewhere else and are not used to them.
Probably not worth the $30,000-50,000 per homeowner that it would cost. I know it wouldn't be for me.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM

474 posts, read 1,455,121 times
Ira, I think Laurelhurst & Blue Ridge both have underground utilities. Not sure if they've been that way since inception or if they converted at some point, but it is pretty striking difference if you get a chance to walk around those neighborhoods. You kind of just get used to poles and wires everywhere, and when they're gone, it can be strikingly pretty with all of the trees & water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area