Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 04:36 PM

15 posts, read 16,269 times

Advertisements

Since I've done a few searches and haven't found exactly the right question and therefore no right answers, I figured I would ask. I'm moving to Seattle and am trying to pick a neighborhood. I'm 39, single but not that worried about a dating scene, and have been in Boston for about 16 years and South Boston for 10 of those so am used to city life. Southie is a working class neighborhood that's been gentrifying (with some growing pains). From what I see online, not that worried about 'safety' in any of the areas I was looking at. I am not artsy or hipster, definitely nerdy in a science-y way, love sports, have a dog who loves the outdoors, am used to having a parking spot, prefer a sense of community in my neighborhood but don't *need* it, am used to taking public transit to get around and not having it be quick.
I can do urban and enjoy it, but can also happily border on suburban in the right area. I'd like access to public transportation and some local shops and restaurants I can walk to, will happily venture to other parts of the city so the neighborhood doesn't need to be my everything. A few areas that have been suggested are Capitol Hill, Central District, Columbia City, Beacon Hill, Greenwood, Greenlake, and Queen Anne. I'd like to have a decent sized place (I happily live in 600 sq. ft. now, but it's very well laid out). I'm leaving Boston, so am happy to downsize to Seattle's prices, so it's more about figuring out where I'll be happiest. No quick visit can compare to the knowledge of someone who's living in a place, so am asking for help. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
You never said where you would be working (or are you independently wealthy? ) - pick a neighborhood that minimizes commute.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 PM

24 posts, read 42,870 times
I'd recommend Beacon Hill and West Seattle if you'd like some space. Capitol Hill is currently overpriced and quickly losing its original charm and atmosphere due to overdevelopment. Also, if it isn't your thing, you might not be happy about men propositioning you in the parks in the evening for gay sex in the bushes, which is a police-sanctioned activity in that part of town. You pay a premium north of the ship canal and Queen Anne/Magnolia for racial homogeneity (it's mainly white), but I don't think it's worth it, and you may or may not like such an environment.

West Seattle is quite large, and has its own character and a wide range of options. Beacon Hill is very convenient for access to downtown, but doesn't have the best options for grocery shopping, and the parks are not great. It is a mainly Asian enclave, and fairly safe, but sometimes a bit mundane. West Seattle has a lot of diversity and different choices, but it isn't quite as convenient as Beacon Hill for access to downtown, and there are some shady neighborhoods here and there (also some fairly exclusive ones), but nothing a Southie can't handle I'd imagine.

Columbia City is overpriced, but if you don't mind living in Seattle's version of the "ghetto" you can get a lot of bang for your buck on nearby MLK, which is also conveniently located on the light rail line. The square footage is a steal compared to Capitol Hill, but there is an annoying, although tolerable, street crime presence, and much of the neighborhood looks ugly as hell, although it is improving quickly in that regard.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Ah, good point, tobester. Currently will be 'independently wealthy' . Will be looking, but am less concerned about working all that close to home, since I'm used to a city where going 3 miles can take 40+ minutes!

clamsauce- Not sure what counts as a ghetto out there, but I live within throwing distance of several housing projects here. Columbia City seemed pretty inexpensive, but maybe I'm also jaded by what we pay here! My little place would have rented for $1900-2100 had I chosen not to sell. As for not looking pretty, well, no one can accuse my current neighborhood of that, though it too is improving. Interesting point about West Seattle. I'd been told not to consider it because of the transportation inconvenience, but I do like diversity. As for the parks on Capitol Hill, hell, if that's the worst that happens in the parks when the sun sets, I'm happy! And i think lower Queen Anne was more the area I was thinking of, which may matter...

Thanks for the replies! Been so long since I loved to a new city that I'm finding all input useful.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak74 View Post
Ah, good point, tobester. Currently will be 'independently wealthy' . Will be looking, but am less concerned about working all that close to home, since I'm used to a city where going 3 miles can take 40+ minutes!

clamsauce- Not sure what counts as a ghetto out there, but I live within throwing distance of several housing projects here. Columbia City seemed pretty inexpensive, but maybe I'm also jaded by what we pay here! My little place would have rented for $1900-2100 had I chosen not to sell. As for not looking pretty, well, no one can accuse my current neighborhood of that, though it too is improving. Interesting point about West Seattle. I'd been told not to consider it because of the transportation inconvenience, but I do like diversity. As for the parks on Capitol Hill, hell, if that's the worst that happens in the parks when the sun sets, I'm happy! And i think lower Queen Anne was more the area I was thinking of, which may matter...

Thanks for the replies! Been so long since I loved to a new city that I'm finding all input useful.
If you're really set on Queen Anne, take a look at Interbay or the top of the hill. Lower QA is next to Aurora, so it's pretty skeezy. Rent there should be cheap for that, IMO, but it's still expensive, so I think it's a rip-off.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
In addition to the areas you've noted - if you're interested in suburban-bordering-on-urban, you might check out areas near, and in, DT Kirkland. It has more of a suburban feel, miles of waterfront to run/walk along, and yet the DT portion has a lot of energy and manages to feel both vibrant and laid back. It's also pretty convenient to both DT Bellevue and Seattle.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,513 times
I think you have a good list (I think you'd like Greenlake). I second West Seattle (love it there), and would also add my neighborhood, Ravenna. It's close enough to the university to have great amenities, transportation, good central location, etc., but removed enough from riff raff. There are a few nice complexes walkable to everything you could need. Roosevelt nearby is another good option, and a little cheaper. Good luck, and welcome!

Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamsauce View Post
If you're really set on Queen Anne, take a look at Interbay or the top of the hill. Lower QA is next to Aurora, so it's pretty skeezy. Rent there should be cheap for that, IMO, but it's still expensive, so I think it's a rip-off.
Don't have my heart set on anything, or I'd not have asked. Really. I'm stubborn that way. I'd simply seen QA mentioned numerous times, and my cousin who lives in Seattle recommended it. But as much as I love her, she's young and new to the city herself, so was looking for better input. Plus she's less comfortable than I am with cities in general. I'd be interested to know exactly what makes an area "skeezy" or "ghetto" in your eyes, since most people would have said Southie was pretty sketchy when I moved here (and maybe more so now if they actually pay attention to true crime stats, rather than go based on rep or demographics as determinant), but I feel quite safe where I am. In truth, I'd say I was leaning Columbia City/Beacon Hill, Central District, Capitol Hill, or Greenwood/Greenlake and away from Queen Anne, if anything. And was open to any additional suggestions, like the one for West Seattle (which I'd already decided against but now need to revisit)...

One add on question- is there anywhere that is more likely to have apartments in smaller buildings for rent? Duplexes or townhouses or that sort of thing? Southie is all triple deckers (3 floor buildings with each floor being one unit), so I'm not used to huge complexes any more (though will adapt)...

Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak74 View Post
Don't have my heart set on anything, or I'd not have asked. Really. I'm stubborn that way. I'd simply seen QA mentioned numerous times, and my cousin who lives in Seattle recommended it. But as much as I love her, she's young and new to the city herself, so was looking for better input. Plus she's less comfortable than I am with cities in general. I'd be interested to know exactly what makes an area "skeezy" or "ghetto" in your eyes, since most people would have said Southie was pretty sketchy when I moved here (and maybe more so now if they actually pay attention to true crime stats, rather than go based on rep or demographics as determinant), but I feel quite safe where I am. In truth, I'd say I was leaning Columbia City/Beacon Hill, Central District, Capitol Hill, or Greenwood/Greenlake and away from Queen Anne, if anything. And was open to any additional suggestions, like the one for West Seattle (which I'd already decided against but now need to revisit)...

One add on question- is there anywhere that is more likely to have apartments in smaller buildings for rent? Duplexes or townhouses or that sort of thing? Southie is all triple deckers (3 floor buildings with each floor being one unit), so I'm not used to huge complexes any more (though will adapt)...
Used to be Capitol Hill, but not so much anymore. West Seattle's good that way, upper Queen Anne, too, and parts of north and northwest Seattle such as Phinney Ridge/Greenwood. Take a look at the White Center area, which is in the south part of West Seattle, or Admiral or Alki (north part of West Seattle). Getting a bit of a feel for you from your writing style, I think you'd like Admiral. It's definitely Seattle, but has its own distinct character. I think a Southie would feel pretty set there.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamsauce View Post
Getting a bit of a feel for you from your writing style, I think you'd like Admiral. It's definitely Seattle, but has its own distinct character.
Well, now I really want to know what my writing style says about me!

I did just check out West Seattle quickly on craigslist (it was seconded here after all), and it seems rather inexpensive so definitely looking into it. Blizzard for the next two days here, so will have plenty of time to check that and any other suggestions out. This gives me something to do besides shovel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area