Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM

143 posts, read 334,293 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Obviously we know marijuana is legal in Washington state. I see people smoking weed outside all day now like its nothing. I'm a pretty mean/knowledgable investor and I follow the market really closely. I'm curious as to why Colorado is getting all of the (media) attention in the marijuana world and why Washington state/Seattle is not, even moreso why you guys are okay with this. Clearly the media is the one giving the publicity. But any ideas as why not as much mass attention being given to Washington as a potential booming industry here? Like it or not, but marijuana is already a billion dollar industry underground, now that it's legal I feel like it has lots of potential to make a lot of people rich. No reason Colorado should gain more from it than Washington does..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
It's only because Colorado opened their legal stores first. Washington' stores are supposed to open within the next few month. I imagine when that happens all the attention will be focused on Washington.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
The two states are going about it very differently. For instance, in Colorado people will be able to grow some plants at home - I think it's up to 10 plants. That's a no-go here. We're going to heavily regulate it.

I'm not sure where you heard that the retail stores will be opening in the next month, Ira, but that's not my understanding. I could be wrong, though! I believe the state JUST released the names/addresses of the applications for retail, processing and growing licenses. From those applicants they now have to fully vett them and then select the "winners" via lottery. I read in The Herald that there was something like 130 applications filed for retail shops in Snohomish County, and in the end there will only be 30 - to be divided up according to population centers and local laws. For instance, Mill Creek city council is likely going to vote to not permit weed retail establishments.

ETA: Sorry, Ira500, just saw you said "next few months" not "next month"

Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
The two states are going about it very differently. For instance, in Colorado people will be able to grow some plants at home - I think it's up to 10 plants. That's a no-go here. We're going to heavily regulate it.

I'm not sure where you heard that the retail stores will be opening in the next month, Ira, but that's not my understanding. I could be wrong, though! I believe the state JUST released the names/addresses of the applications for retail, processing and growing licenses. From those applicants they now have to fully vett them and then select the "winners" via lottery. I read in The Herald that there was something like 130 applications filed for retail shops in Snohomish County, and in the end there will only be 30 - to be divided up according to population centers and local laws. For instance, Mill Creek city council is likely going to vote to not permit weed retail establishments.

ETA: Sorry, Ira500, just saw you said "next few months" not "next month"
I thought I read April, but I've been wrong before.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
Does it have to be sold with healthy warnings like cigarettes do? I assume smoking pot has the same health risks as smoking tobacco does? Will the public bans on smoking tobacco also apply to pot?

Old 01-06-2014, 06:42 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,884,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Does it have to be sold with healthy warnings like cigarettes do? I assume smoking pot has the same health risks as smoking tobacco does? Will the public bans on smoking tobacco also apply to pot?
I've heard there are other ways to ingest marijuana other than smoking. Brownies get you high and satisfy the munchies all in one step ...

Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
I've heard there are other ways to ingest marijuana other than smoking. Brownies get you high and satisfy the munchies all in one step ...

haha Yes I'm aware of that. Are most pot users nowadays ingesting it via eating, etc. rather than smoking it? I'm out of touch with the pot crowd!! But I'm seriously asking a question as to whether warnings have to be given. Will they be advertising on TV or Radio? Years ago when the cigarette companies were advertising on TV a law was passed that they had to pay for equal time for ads about the negative health effects. That is why you no longer see cigarette ads on TV. So I'm wondering about pot and if the same requirements will be put into effect.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Marijuana smoking in public is banned. But people do it, just like you see people drinking in public. I haven't actually seen it, but only because I haven't walked past those places where pot smokers congregate.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Marijuana smoking in public is banned. But people do it, just like you see people drinking in public. I haven't actually seen it, but only because I haven't walked past those places where pot smokers congregate.
You'll smell it way before you will see it.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
haha Yes I'm aware of that. Are most pot users nowadays ingesting it via eating, etc. rather than smoking it? I'm out of touch with the pot crowd!! But I'm seriously asking a question as to whether warnings have to be given. Will they be advertising on TV or Radio? Years ago when the cigarette companies were advertising on TV a law was passed that they had to pay for equal time for ads about the negative health effects. That is why you no longer see cigarette ads on TV. So I'm wondering about pot and if the same requirements will be put into effect.
They already advertise marijuana dispensaries in The Stranger, The Weekly, and other publications. Wouldn't surprise me if they were on craigslist. I'd be surprised if they advertised it on TV.
From what I remember reading, pot has some other hazardous effects, but is less likely to cause lung cancer than cigarettes. A lot of the long term effects of marijuana haven't been studied. I think we'll have to wait and see what effect the open legal pot stores will have. There won't be that many of them allowed, far less than places selling hard liquor. But just having them open may create some demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area