Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM

61 posts, read 191,684 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband recently joined the ranks of those working in South Lake Union. We've lived in Port Angeles for about 12 years and love it here, but it's pretty hard for a software developer to find challenging work out on the peninsula. :-) We have a preschool age daughter.

We have been out with a realtor a couple of times and are pretty focused on the Shoreline/Lake Forest Park area for the following reasons:

1) Great schools
2) Decent houses in the high-$300k/low$400k price range with MIL possibilities
3) Proximity to Edmonds for easy access to family on the peninsula
4) Commute less than an hour or so

My questions have to do with various areas of Shoreline. It's hard to know the good neighborhoods even with Google street view. We are going out with our realtor again this weekend and I'd like some feedback on these neighborhoods:

1) Richmond Beach: 15th Ave. near the intersection of 195th and Richmond Beach Rd. This isn't the greatest house in the world, but is it worth it to be in Richmond Beach?

2) NE 172nd Street, near 15th Ave. -- walkable to the Safeway and shopping at the end of the street. Funky little house looks intriguing and the neighborhood looks like nice houses. Close-ish to Hamlin Park.

3) 12th Ave. NE & 185th. Mountain view house with lots of space and yard, but not close to much?

In general, we don't mind "suburbia" because of the excellent schools (I've heard fantastic things about the music program at Shoreline) and access to convenient shopping. I'd like a neighborhood with other families!

We have other houses on the list, but these are the top 3. Any insight would be helpful -- also input on Lake Forest Park in general. I loved the greenness of LFP, it reminded me of where we live now.

Thanks!!

Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,952,232 times
Richmond Beach is awesome, not just the beach but the neighborhood. It's a great place to raise kids. Anywhere in Shoreline sounds like a good fit for you, except maybe that one little stretch on the west side of Aurora where houses are a little run down.

I commute from Shoreline to Seattle for work and it isn't bad at all. You can either take I-5 or Aurora. Believe it or not, Aurora is often a faster way to get downtown because I-5 has so much traffic, especially on that one exit by Northgate.

They also just built a new High school in Shoreline and the school are great from what I here. If I had kids, I would raise them here or Edmonds or anywhere else on the North side.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:54 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,018,380 times
If you can land something in Innis Arden for $400k that would be a more than decent location. It happens occasionally.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 15,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Richmond Beach is awesome, not just the beach but the neighborhood. It's a great place to raise kids. Anywhere in Shoreline sounds like a good fit for you, except maybe that one little stretch on the west side of Aurora where houses are a little run down.

I commute from Shoreline to Seattle for work and it isn't bad at all. You can either take I-5 or Aurora. Believe it or not, Aurora is often a faster way to get downtown because I-5 has so much traffic, especially on that one exit by Northgate.

They also just built a new High school in Shoreline and the school are great from what I here. If I had kids, I would raise them here or Edmonds or anywhere else on the North side.

Hi Victorianpunk,

How long does it take you to commute to downtown Seattle? Do you go during rush hours?

Thanks!!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,952,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyceid View Post
Hi Victorianpunk,

How long does it take you to commute to downtown Seattle? Do you go during rush hours?

Thanks!!
By car, from twenty minutes at non-rush hour to maybe up to 45 during peak hours. Just remember to take Aurora and not I-5, because I-5 is actually slower during rush hour despite being a freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area