U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,826,547 times

Advertisements

What are some favorite warm weather getaways for Seattle area people and why? I'm talking more outside the lower 48 states. Costa Rica? Panama? Caribbean? Hawaii? Belize? Brazil? SE Asia? I'm currently looking at Costa Rica vs. Hawaii. Would love to get some pros and cons and opinions of those two. I have been to Hawaii but not Costa Rica yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,778,356 times
My parents live in Costa Rica and so I visit there more or less yearly (I also spent my teen years there in the 90s) and so far Ms. BATCAT and I have done three Hawaiian vacations (Oahu, Big Island, Maui) and just booked another. (Big Island again) I much prefer Hawaii but I'm probably biased- who wants to vacation in the place you went to school?

That said, Costa Rica is cheaper (except probably airfare to get there, so there's that!) and there is a lot to do there- volcanoes, beaches, rain forest, mountains. San Jose is an interesting city, in some ways, but not a beautiful one exactly.

That said, I just find Hawaii to be more interesting, more beautiful, and more relaxing. So far I like the Big Island best.

But in the end, both are major tourist destinations for good reasons, so you can't really go wrong.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,462 posts, read 66,346,509 times
I go to Las Vegas for a week in April on business, and every few years to Hawaii. We also take occasional vacations to lake Tahoe or southern CA. Our trips are not really for warm weather getaways, because I actually prefer cloudy/rain to hot and sun.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks Batcat for your comparison. I will probably check out Costa Rica first since I haven't been there. I hear Costa Rica has some great less discovered areas on the Caribbean side where they have white sand beaches ringed by coconut palms and super clear water. And jungle right up to the shore. Panama seems to have promise too as it has nice beaches, mountains, jungle too.

Fiji is a place in the South Pacific I'm also very curious about but it's a very expensive flight.

I like the cool weather up here too, but I also need some variety and to break up the long grey season a little bit. Since I lived in CA so many years, I'm kind of burnt out on the dry brown desert look of SoCal and the desert SW states. I'm looking more for green tropical locales.

I need to find my tropical winter getaway "Margaritaville" I start needin' some "changes in latitude, changes in attitude" come about Jan 2nd!

Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 PM

71 posts, read 101,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
What are some favorite warm weather getaways for Seattle area people and why? I'm talking more outside the lower 48 states. Costa Rica? Panama? Caribbean? Hawaii? Belize? Brazil? SE Asia? I'm currently looking at Costa Rica vs. Hawaii. Would love to get some pros and cons and opinions of those two. I have been to Hawaii but not Costa Rica yet.
Puerto Vallerta always does the trick for me and my wife.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:41 PM

17 posts, read 17,902 times
Love La Paz, Mexico and the Big Island Hawaii.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,800,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post

What do you like to do on vacation? Are you looking for warm weather or for sun? Do you want the ocean to play in? I think you mentioned Fiji in one of the posts above -- just want to warn you in case it would bother you or someone you went with, all the beaches on Fiji are topless unless that has changed in the last few years.

I'd also recommend New Zealand -- I don't like Australia nearly as much.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM

I like to be in a warm beautiful tropical environment. I like to swim, hike, and snorkel mostly. Probably going to be headed to Costa Rica in a few weeks.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 PM

471 posts, read 1,377,346 times
Belize (outside of Belize City) is fantastic. English-speaking, currency pegged to the US dollar, and small enough to get around. Beaches, jungles, ruins, islands... it's all there. Short hop from Houston or Dallas, which are 3 1/2-4 hour flights from Seattle.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM

8,147 posts, read 7,209,922 times
If you need Americanized tourism I would recommend Costa Rica and Cancun (never been to Belize, but I guess it's similar?).

I married a Mexican so I have a real distaste for the gringo culture when in Mexico (and elsewhere abroad). We just got back from Puerta Vallarta and it was so much better than Cancun. There were still plenty of Americans, but they were mostly younger families and more subdued, not the "springbreakers". It just seemed more laid-back, maybe it's a Pacific coast thing because my experiences in Acapulco have always been similar (but then again, we stay at the family's townhome in the old Acapulco, not in the popular and newer Punta de Diamonte). We especially enjoy a place called Pie de la Cuesta, if you get the chance.

I haven't been to Hawaii in years. I really liked the Big Island myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: