Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times

Advertisements

I recommend living outside of the city for the first year, just to get to know the area. Affordable housing used to be prevalent within the city, but that's no longer the case.

I will dissent; I think it's a fantastic time to be young and consider moving here. The minimum wage in WA is at least two dollars higher an hour. Also, people are far more generous to service workers here. It's pretty great.

My advice? Try to work in downtown Seattle as a barista if you can. Pay is generally higher when the establishment is nicer. People take their coffee seriously up here, so get educated on it if you can.

Good luck!

Also, be careful of drugs in the food service industry up here. Heroin is making a comeback 'round these parts.

Last edited by amaiunmei; 01-10-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM

217 posts, read 411,517 times
we moved here from Charlotte in 2012. The cost of living is crazy high here, I will definitely agree. But, there are far, far more jobs here than there. I don't miss the weather even remotely. I grew up in SC and lived in Charlotte for 8 years so I was well accustomed... you get very spoiled very fast being here with no extreme temperatures or weather.
we moved with a POD. Packed it, sent it off and then flew. It was the cheapest option we found and everything arrived intact (and not bc I was very diligent packing it!) CLT-SEA flights have gotten insanely expensive lately though.
for cheaper living you might look at parts of Renton or maybe Georgetown in Seattle. This area is the most dog-friendly I've ever been in, again much more so than Charlotte so it will be easier here in terms of that.
And the traffic in Charlotte is much worse. Don't believe all of what you read on here. I go back there several times a year and it makes me nuts how long it takes to get anywhere. I think I've sat in traffic like that maybe 3 times total here and it was due to an accident every time.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,693 times
There's lots of advice here I concur with. If you must move here, ShellNic's Columbia City suggestion is great. You could live and work near there, be car-less, using the light rail or buses to explore the area.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
If you must move here, I would advise you look OUTSIDE the city of Seattle to live and work. I'm not sure why people are recommending you look for work and live in downtown. You can't afford it. Seattle is more expensive than the suburbs, and we have a ton of coffee shops, Starbucks, and independent espresso huts, everywhere in the Puget Sound area. You can live in the suburbs for much less, and be within walking distance (or bus route) of your job just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area