Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,883,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
That you consider treating women as "individual actual people" to be "idealistic" is a pretty indefensible viewpoint, by the way.
It's idealistic, as opposed to cynical.

Young people tend to be idealistic about many things, including members of the opposite sex, politicians, potential business partners, and people in general. That's why the young and inexperienced tend to be liberal and politically correct.

But as one grows older, experience teaches one to be more cynical about ... everything and everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,544,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
Who is superficial?
Errbody

Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,164,248 times
Seattle should be called "Man-attle", and its rather reserved in general, imo...great city, too crowded, traffic is nightmarish now, ...way to many single men in the region, and it shows,...any nice looking lady will be up to her neck in single men if she puts her self out there imo. Great city for single women, bad to be a single guy here, and attitude has nothing to do with it, period. Just the demographics of the city coupled with some other aspects of the Seattle I wont address...lol. Still a great city, one of the best in the USA for larger cities I think. Must be able to deal with congestion and traffic though. I like the weather, as I love rain.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,028,296 times
Most of the "high tech" areas have the same issue when it comes to dating. Boulder, Seattle, Portland and the Bay Area all have close to a 2:1 single woman to single man ratio. At this point statistics are going to hurt your prospects more than your personality, looks or financial situation.

New York City is the opposite ratio. I'm decent looking but nothing special money wise for a New Yorker, and I was overwhelmed by the amount of interest I had from women when I lived there. I distinctly remember one time I was in Saratoga Springs for a wedding, and during the train ride back I had FORTY women ask me out on OK Cupid.

When I lived in SF it was exactly the opposite, a total dating wasteland. There are guys there that are legitimate ten-millionaires and can't get a date. Even if you get a date, it's gonna be weird... you're gonna end up meeting the woman's ex, her brother, her (male) roommate who she sleeps with from time to time, and her pot dealer she paid with a BJ once, all during the first date.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,983 times
^ ^ But that N.G. map was awhile ago, and the M/F ratios also vary a lot these days according to neighborhoods. For example, the Queen Anne area apparently has among the highest ratios of women to men on the west coast, compared to Pioneer Square, which has some of the lowest. Although you're right, Seattle probably ain't the best choice for single males of the "conservative" persuasion (unless maybe they wanna try dating the gals over at the Discovery Institute …lol)!

Trulia Feb 2013: Looking for Love in All the Right Places

Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM

Seattle is still Man-attle, Imo, no matter how one slices it. Lol.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM

34 posts, read 48,135 times
Quote:
Most of the "high tech" areas have the same issue when it comes to dating. Boulder, Seattle, Portland and the Bay Area all have close to a 2:1 single woman to single man ratio.
I agree that it may feel that way, but a 2:1 ratio is a bit exaggerated. Depending on the age range I think the worse case scenario is something like 40 extra single men per 1000 singles, so only 40 would be left alone, this is considering singles 20 to 34. Play with the age range on the top right on the following link, and as we age, women win the longevity battle (at least for now) and the tables are turned. And I agree that the east coast loses men more quickly as we age, but even in the west coast as we get older women outnumber men.
The New, Interactive Singles Map.

Having said that, I actually did notice more men than women in most places I frequented in Seattle, and it was specially weird in dance lessons where everywhere I lived before had many more women than men.

Last edited by zunshine; 01-14-2014 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Revised numbers

Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 PM

588 posts, read 1,011,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
Seattle is still Man-attle, Imo, no matter how one slices it. Lol.
If you must, it should clearly be "He-attle". Man-attle has no ring to it!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM

He-attle works for me. lol.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,983 times
Or "She-attle" for those who frequent 'certain' bars in Capitol Hill (have we exhausted this yet…lol)?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: