Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

We currently live in a 2BR apt at Bellevue and are looking to rent a 3BR house somewhere between Bellevue and Renton, as wife works at Renton and I work at Bellevue downtown.

We have been checking "craigslist housing for rent" and also Zillow & Trulia to find out the available houses for Rent. Are there other ways to find out the available homes for Rent? Can we make use of Real Estate Agents? If so, how much does it cost us? Thanks in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
If you use a real estate agent, it doesn't cost you anything. The landlord pays the agent's commission. It's pretty typical these days to pay an application fee, and to pay for a credit check, as well as first, last, and a deposit.
The issue with using an agent is that the houses they have access to will be the ones listed on the MLS, and there are many more houses on craigslist, etc than what is on the MLS. So if you're using an agent, don't only use an agent, but also use craigslist, padmapper, etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:14 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times
Check facebook Community groups too.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times
Thank you Ira & flyingsaucermom. Didn't know about padmapper & facebook community groups, thanks for that. Do you have recommendations on good agents that we can make use of?

Also, what do you think about the houses in Renton highlands. Our 2 year old son has few more years to consider a school District and by that time we might buy a house.

Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:30 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,301 times
Default Using a Real Estate agent

I agree with Ira, using an agent does help especially when in a competitive market. It also helps eliminate scams because I can check directly with the other agents about the property. These days a common scam i s to pull for sale property pictures and misrepresent them as for rent. These scammers say that they out of the country/state and ask to mail a check for $500 to send them the key. Neither key or money is seen after that. Another reason is the listing agent even if listed on craig's list will be able to allow me to access the property after providing my license number. Hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterfresh2015 View Post
Thank you Ira & flyingsaucermom. Didn't know about padmapper & facebook community groups, thanks for that. Do you have recommendations on good agents that we can make use of?

Also, what do you think about the houses in Renton highlands. Our 2 year old son has few more years to consider a school District and by that time we might buy a house.

Thanks again.
A lot of the houses in the eastern part of the Renton Highlands are pretty indistinguishable from a lot of the houses in Newcastle or Sammamish or Bothell. Lots of development built within the last 15 years, nice newer houses on tiny lots. There are also older homes on larger lots, and a few townhomes. The western part of Renton Highlands is less expensive, has an unsavory reputation(which is mostly doesn't deserve), has ethnic and economic diversity,a fair amount of 50's-60's houses. And a really great playground!(Meadowcrest) It's a ten minute drive from my house, so when the grandkids are in town we make a trip to that playground. The western part of the Renton Highlands has a Vietnamese supermarket, a couple of taquerias, a Mexican-French bakery, a good pizza place, a Goodwill store. It's not a fancy neighborhood. I know people who live in both parts of the Renton Highlands. One side almost indistinguishable from many suburbs, the other an interesting possibly up and coming but still a little ragtag neighborhood.
There's nice places to walk all over Renton.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:40 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
Have you tried Hotpads.com? Sometimes Walkscore.com has good listings, as well. I've also used Seattle Apartments at Seattle Rentals .com - condos, houses and apartment listings and online rental classifieds, but it tends to be spotty. You can also check property management company websites. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area