Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Portland is actually very easy to make friends if you are in a certain age bracket or fit into certain demographics. Like, if you are a 30 something washed up skateboarder guy with a beard who works as a web designer and likes drinking beer, you'll have no trouble making friends.
That's good to know. I think the O.P. is none of those things except the age bracket. I hear 30 something's complain all the time in Portland about how difficult it is to make quality friendships. Maybe you are just super lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
You need an apartment complex with an outdoor pool and hot tub. Met more neighbors that way than I could count. Great easy way to socialize and occasionally hit it off with people.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM

104 posts, read 196,958 times
If you don't work then volunteer somewhere. Or get a part time job or something anyway. I find the best way to meet friends here is through shared interests via something faciliated like work, school, etc. You won't just meet random friends off the street here. Doesn't work that way.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 PM

337 posts, read 494,622 times
I moved out here alone in my 20's and although I worked, I didn't have much of a social life for about two years. I ended up putting a band together and suddenly my social life blew up. The key is that you have to take the things that you like and apply them here to Seattle.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 AM

271 posts, read 426,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I noticed when I moved here from the Midwest that the unwritten rule of not "dipping your pen into the company ink" SO DID NOT APPLY HERE.

I met more married couples with both people working at the same place, in the same department, or at least met that way, I was shocked. About a year after I moved here I realized that the only way to make friends is to really start with a group of out-of-towners who have similar interests. Literally, I have 1 person who is a Seattle native as a friend. Everyone else grew up elsewhere.
That's my experience too! The one person I feel most comfortable with also just moved recently. I guess we have things in common to talk about.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,994 times
Forget so much about impressing people.. Pray, do good deeds and then the right people will come.. I believe it is better to try to be a friend first and then the righteous people will see you as a friend and be a friend in exchange.. In such an impersonal, cultureless, materialistic, self-absorbed world, let us try to be the beacon that breaks the mold. People will sooner or later recognize you, even if they hate your religion, culture, political affiliation, hobbies, etc. If you are kind, respectful, hard-working , diligent, and yes, thick-skinned person, people will recognize your merits over time. You cannot force them on people, they simply will be respected in due time.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:01 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,900,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
I ended up putting a band together and suddenly my social life blew up.
I was going to suggest something similar, though it depends on the OP's interests.

Make a short film. Place ads on Craigslist, Mandy.com, or Seattle's local film schools. Tell them you're seeking actors and crew for a short film. Actors (especially) and crew are always eager to be part of a film that's actually going to get made.

Forming a band, a film project, an actors/comedy improv troupe, these are all good ways to meet people, provided your interests lie in that direction.

You can also take adult education classes at the local universities. If so, look for two things:

1. A class that's interactive -- a discussion group, acting class, writer's workshop, or the equivalent -- so you'll have an excuse/opportunity to talk to the other students.

2. A class that meets over several weeks, instead of only one session. That'll give you the opportunity to get to know the other students.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM

30,347 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Vanessa Ho (seattle pi) gives some reasons why Seattle is one of the most lonely places on Earth here:

1 - seattlepi.com

Sorry Seattle Sucks. Good luck.
I thought there's a lot of truth in that article. It's funny, I love the city even though I have better friends elsewhere. Seattle is known for intelligent hard working introverts...the kind that make a great living and don't go partying all night like in my native New Orleans (which was #1 for social interaction and it feels it too).

Go Hawks!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
If you haven't yet, try piercing your face and mutilating your earlobes into hoops.....the Seattle Hipsters will be drawn to you like a fly to ****.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,488 times
Seattle is a great, but now way too overcrowded and congested city. Lovely city though, possibly the best largest city in the USA, imo, and great state. Socially, good luck, the social ethos is one of the toughest I ever encountered, especially for non-hipster, non-ultra liberal single men, and/or being a single guy, period, in my opinion and experience. But getting involved would be the wisest thing to do in Seattle, groups, church, spiritual center, and etc.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 01-21-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area