Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,288,771 times

Advertisements

Remember the history. Taxpayers funded and built the KingDome, which opened in 1976. An amazing structure, it was designed to last a thousand years. It was imploded after 25 years. The engineer who designed it called its destruction a "horrible mistake."
Local News | Dome's Still Big League To Him -- Retired Designer Of Kingdome And Its Roof Thinks There's Still Plenty Of Utility In The Concrete Facility | Seattle Times Newspaper

When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he demanded a new tax-funded stadium to replace the KingDome. Initial public reaction was tepid to say the least, polling at around 40%. However Allen poured $5 million into an ad campaign. There was no real organized opposition nor advertising. Allen literally bought the election: the legislature approved an unusual plan in which Allen paid the cost of a special election. The proposal passed by 51 percent after the $5 million ad campaign. The cost to taxpayers was roughly $1 billion for the stadium, including interest, which after all does have to be paid by the taxpayer..

Not a bad return on investment for Allen--$1 billion on his $5 million investment. Smart guy to have screwed over the taxpayers so royally. That's why I'm hoping the Seahawks lose on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 04:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,450,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
That's why I'm hoping the Seahawks lose on Sunday.
Me too, but that's just because I'm a Niners fan...

Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,069,262 times
Quote:
Not a bad return on investment for Allen--$1 billion on his $5 million investment. Smart guy to have screwed over the taxpayers so royally.
Allen doesn't own the stadium.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,040,343 times
Quote:

When Paul Allen bought the Seahawks, he demanded a new tax-funded stadium to replace the KingDome. Initial public reaction was tepid to say the least, polling at around 40%. However Allen poured $5 million into an ad campaign. There was no real organized opposition nor advertising. Allen literally bought the election: the legislature approved an unusual plan in which Allen paid the cost of a special election. The proposal passed by 51 percent after the $5 million ad campaign. The cost to taxpayers was roughly $1 billion for the stadium, including interest, which after all does have to be paid by the taxpayer..

Not a bad return on investment for Allen--$1 billion on his $5 million investment. Smart guy to have screwed over the taxpayers so royally. That's why I'm hoping the Seahawks lose on Sunday.
So the stadium cost NOTHING to build or are you blowing a bunch of hot air when you are trying to make us believe that Allen pocketed $1 billion?

Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,069,262 times
He is just a hater.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 PM

292 posts, read 1,444,394 times
Sour grapes, much?

And wishing the team would lose because you didn't get your way is a little childish to me, but whatever. Forget this silly online forum, tell those kids Russell Wilson visits at Children's Hospital that you want his team to lose because you disagree with a public policy decision a quarter century ago. That'll prove you have real cojones.

I wasn't happy with imploding the Kingdome at the time, I'm not going to hold a grudge, what, 15 years later? It certainly isn't the worst decision this city has made.

Anyway, to each their own. Have a nice day.

Go Hawks!

Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,251,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
Sour grapes, much?

And wishing the team would lose because you didn't get your way is a little childish to me, but whatever. Forget this silly online forum, tell those kids Russell Wilson visits at Children's Hospital that you want his team to lose because you disagree with a public policy decision a quarter century ago. That'll prove you have real cojones.

I wasn't happy with imploding the Kingdome at the time, I'm not going to hold a grudge, what, 15 years later? It certainly isn't the worst decision this city has made.

Anyway, to each their own. Have a nice day.

Go Hawks!
I wasn't happy with the decision to implode the Kingdome. I voted against the Seahawks stadium. I don't think taxpayers should be subsidizing billionaires. But you know what?
It passed, Paul Allen bought the election, and Century Link was built. I'm not going to be against my city's team because the taxpayers helped a billionaire buy a stadium. In fact, I like all this excitement right now. It's crazy. Wasn't this nuts in '05, when the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl. I think they're a better team now. Seattle people are so laid back, you never see them get visibly excited about anything. So it's a nice change seeing passion about something. GO SEAHAWKS!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Allen doesn't own the stadium.
Ownership can often be a legal fiction. I remember when the M's stadium was proposed, Gary Locke declared (paraphrase), "this will be your stadium." Yet despite being a King County resident and taxpayer, I never received a key to the stadium. If I tried to get into "my" stadium without a ticket I would be arrested, handcuffed, and hauled off to jail.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
So the stadium cost NOTHING to build or are you blowing a bunch of hot air when you are trying to make us believe that Allen pocketed $1 billion?
?? Who said the stadium cost nothing to build? WTF? Yes, the stadium cost about $1 billion, including financing, and was turned over to Paul Allen for his use. That's a pretty clear gift from taxpayers to Allen of $1 billion. If you don't want to call it "pocketed" because it was a building instead of straight cash, that's fine with me. It doesn't change the argument.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I wasn't happy with the decision to implode the Kingdome. I voted against the Seahawks stadium. I don't think taxpayers should be subsidizing billionaires. But you know what?
It passed, Paul Allen bought the election, and Century Link was built. I'm not going to be against my city's team because the taxpayers helped a billionaire buy a stadium. In fact, I like all this excitement right now. It's crazy. Wasn't this nuts in '05, when the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl. I think they're a better team now. Seattle people are so laid back, you never see them get visibly excited about anything. So it's a nice change seeing passion about something. GO SEAHAWKS!
I can understand that. I had a lot of fun cheering for my Chicago Bulls in the Jordan era even though the United Center was a similar deal. But I hope you can understand my perspective too, with the history of the Kingdome and the bought election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area