U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM

63 posts, read 171,135 times

Advertisements

I am looking into moving into this area, and making a home purchase.
The safety, school, how convenient it is to shops, cafe, restaurant, community group, community center, grocery.
More than half the time this will be vacant, so safety is a concern.
Are there a lot of Asians in the area?
I will be new in Seattle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 02:32 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,188,524 times
It's a nice area. Like a suburb in the city. There is a small but nice downtown with shops and restaurants. Some honmes
are walking distance. Schools are good. There are some Asians but more in other areas. There is a huge park with amazing views and hikes. There is a community center and heated outdoor pool for summer fun. There are a few grocery stores as well. It is a very safe family oriented community.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:30 AM

458 posts, read 870,865 times
Magnolia has the wonderful virtue of being in the city yet feeling like it is its own separate village. One of my favorite parks in Seattle, Discovery Park, is there as well as a very cute little downtown core to keep one satisfied until they feel like venturing further afield. There are a couple of supermarkets and a beautiful spanking new Whole Foods opened a couple of years ago on Elliott which is the main north/south street running outside of Magnolia connecting Ballard to Downtown. Housing also tends to be a bit more affordable...schools are good. I like how quiet and safe it feels which I think has much to do with it being removed from other neighborhoods. The homes that have views have some of the most beautiful west facing views in the whole city.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 62,299 times
Default The best neighborhood for young families!

Magnolia is a big neighborhood, so different parts have different characteristics. There are killer views of the sound on the west side, of Elliott Bay to the south, and downtown in the south east. One or two spots might even get a bit of all three. There are some palatial homes, especially where the views are best, but most homes are standard Seattle fare on 4000-5000 sq ft lots, especially in the eastern half. In the northeast, where there aren't such views, homes are more modest and prices can be surprisingly good for a walkable, close-in neighborhood. Compared to other close-in neighborhoods it's sleepy; there are only three roads in, all via 15th Ave, and it's not a through road to anywhere. It can feel a world away from the hustle-bustle of the city. There is not much retail, but there are a few not-bad places to eat out or drink. On a weekday evening the village (main drag at 32nd and McGraw) is so quiet you might think it's shut! But outside rush hour you can be on the top of Queen Anne, Ballard, Belltown or SLU in 10-15 mins, depending on what part of Magnolia you live. Add 5-7 mins during commute times. You can get by grocery shopping at the QFC on Dravus and the Met Market on 34th, but it's also not far to the Whole Foods on 15th and there's a big Fred Meyer just over the Ballard Bridge.

Discovery Park dominates the northwest corner, but that and Commodore Park tucked up north are the only parks in the west; most of the neighborhood parks are in central and eastern Magnolia. The walk along Magnolia Boulevard in the summer is to die for. If you have small children then there are three playgrounds east of 28th Ave (Ella Bailey, Bay View, Lawton) and one in the village at Catharine Blaine. There are several annual community events that center around the village and Blaine school - farmers market, various fairs and parades during the summer - that bring people out and give a nice community feel. There are tons of families with small kids, 10 preschoolers on our block alone. We don't have school-age kids yet, but both schools have good reputations and were a big reason why we picked Magnolia. It's very walkable if you don't mind hills.

We looked at a LOT of neighborhoods when we first came to Seattle, and I guess I would sum up Magnolia as the closest-in neighborhood where you can feel like you're living in a small family-friendly town but still close to the city.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 AM

63 posts, read 171,135 times
SeaGuy: thank you for your comprehensive reply. It's so useful as you live in the neighbourhood too.
How much has Magnolia neighbourhood realty risen in 2013. What are some authoritative website.

Can you also assist me in how much a 3 Bedroom, 1 bath, 1250 sq feet unit home can rent out for in the area/neighbourhood?

So there is not a lot of local bakery, cafe, dining, shops, or small commercial strip in Magnolia?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:57 PM

24 posts, read 62,299 times
It depends a lot on where in Magnolia and what sort of view you have. Look at Craigslist for some comps. I would imagine somewhere between $2000 and $3000 per month. The village is pleasant, it's just no comparison to Queen Anne Ave or Ballard, which many people like.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM

26 posts, read 49,774 times
I grew up (18 years) in Magnolia and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. However, it is extremely safe and a decently nice neighborhood. There is a range of home prices, from extremely expensive mansions on the West side of the neighborhood overlooking the puget sound to very affordable apartments nestled in the Eastern slope. There are hardly any asians in Magnolia and it's surrounding neighborhoods. Most asians in the city live in Southern portions of the city like Beacon Hill. There is an almost semi-vibrant 'village' (referred to as "the village") with almost everything you need (post office, several banks, several churches, great restaurants, coffee shops, clothing stores, community center, gift stores, Bartell drugs, a park, recreational field, etc.) and also several other smaller areas within the neighborhood that hill amenities.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,175,470 times
I grew up in Magnolia, and am living there currently, and it is a great neighborhood. Very safe, comparable to living on a bridged island, yet very close to Downtown Seattle. The Village has almost everything you need. There are not many Asians here. There are two major schools, one being K-5, the other K-8. High school students will go to Ballard or elsewhere. We also have a nice Library and several parks (including the largest park in the city of Seattle, Discovery Park).

However, it can be a pain to get to other areas of the city from here. Ballard, Queen Anne, and Downtown Seattle are easy to get to, but anywhere else can be a real pain. Plan on at least 20 minutes to get to I-5 from Magnolia!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM

7,422 posts, read 6,457,374 times
A great, local Magnolia focused blog: Magnolia VoiceMagnolia Voice » A news blog for Seattle's Magnolia neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: